Houston, We Have a Final Liftoff

NASA ends space shuttle program

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Houston, We Have a Final Liftoff

Post by Trinarius »

:(

Did anyone watch Atlantis make the final space shuttle liftoff earlier today? It was kind of sad to watch, knowing that this was the end of a historic era. I know that NASA is now going to focus on reaching farther destinations like Mars and asteroids, but I don't see that happening for some time, if even in my lifetime. I always wanted to be an astronaut and now my dreams are ruined! :x
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel like crying now. The only job I actually wanted to be (I know, I'm taking dentistry in college but I didn't want to be a dentist as bad as I wanted to be an astronaut...) is ruined. I wanted to fly in space...
I didn't see final liftoff either.
This is sad.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I wished I could have watched it, but I didn't get to. The NASA online video streaming would have been way too slow. I watched the ABC news video from Yahoo. Here is the link. Here is an artical as well http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-launches-spa ... 02937.html I got to see one last spring in school, I think it was the 4th to last one. I found it very intresting.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Wait, so we aren't going to be sending any more people into space? Are they just stopping temporarily?

Sorry, I haven't been following the news lately. :-
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Graces4you
Love to love

Post by Graces4you »

Well for now they are permenently ending the space program, but someday it might come back. I'm not sure if NASA is doing anything with mars related things or not. I think that's what's happening, but I'm going on memory for this, if I got something wrong, don't blame me!
Last edited by Graces4you on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Yeah the space program we've been used to will be no more. :( American astronauts will have to get a ride with the Russians now for space travel. It'll be up to private companies like Spacex and Virgin Galactic to build on the work NASA has done.
Last edited by Trinarius on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

American Eagle wrote:Wait, so we aren't going to be sending any more people into space? Are they just stopping temporarily?

Sorry, I haven't been following the news lately. :-
You missed it!? :mecry:

erm. O:) Yes, I saw it, thanks to Marvin's reminder only. ;) twas sad. :(

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I didn't even know about it til I saw this thread. :- Been slacking a bit lately on the news. But still, sad.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Wow, it's ending already? I remember hearing some vague news about it, but nothing concrete. I thought I heard that they were considering reverting back to the one-use capsule system because the reusable shuttles caused so many problems, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Graces4you
Love to love

Post by Graces4you »

A few intresting news articles related to the last space journey for the U.S.
LOS ANGELES - It was one small step for man. Now one small strip from the famed flag planted on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission is set to go to auction.

"This is the most-viewed flag in American history," said Michael Orenstein, whose west Los Angeles auction house is handling the Sunday sale that features a piece of fabric shorn from the banner as it was being prepared for the world's first lunar landing.

Other items on the block include one of the Collier trophies — the so-called Oscar of aviation — that was awarded to the crew of 1962's Mercury 7 mission and a three-ring notebook used by "Deke" Slayton as he trained to be one of the space program's first astronauts.

But Orenstein said the sale's gem is the seven-inch strip of red and white fabric being auctioned along with a photo bearing Neil Armstrong's autograph on consignment by Tom Moser, the retired NASA engineer who was tasked with designing the moon-bound flag in the weeks before Apollo 11's 1969 launch.

"It's right up there with Betsy Ross and the Star Spangled Banner," Orenstein said.

NASA's original plans didn't involve planting a flag on the moon because of a United Nations treaty prohibiting nations from claiming celestial entities as their own, Moser said.

But after Congress slipped language into an appropriations bill authorizing the flag's placement as a non-territorial marker, Moser was told to design a flag that could survive the trip to the moon and be planted on its surface upon arrival.

With the spacecraft's tiny interior too cramped even for a rolled-up flag, Moser devised a way to fix an aluminum tube with a thermal liner for the banner on the outside of the vessel, he said.

NASA staff bought an American flag off the shelf of a nearby store and Moser had a hem sewn along its top, so a telescoping aluminum rod could be inserted to hold the banner out straight on the gravity-free moon. (On the moon, the rod didn't extend its full length; the consequent bunching is what makes the flag look like it's blowing in the wind.)

Meanwhile, a strip of fabric along the flag's left side was cut to remove a set of grommets, Moser said.

"It was put in the trash can and I just took it out and said, `I'm going to keep that,'" he said.

Moser said he had Neil Armstrong sign a photo of the flag planted on the moon when the astronaut returned to Earth and he kept the picture and his rescued scrap of flag together in his NASA office until he retired in 1990.

But after hanging onto the photo and flag-swatch assemblage all these years, he finally decided to put them up to auction, although he said he'll miss owning what he sees as a piece of history.

Orenstein said he expects the flag remnant and photo to fetch $100,000 to $150,000 and possibly much more.

"How do you price something like this?" Orenstein said. "If people recognize it for what it is or appreciate it for with it is, it can just keep going up."

Some space scholars, however, appear unimpressed with the artifact.

Since the remnant itself was never launched, its connection to the moon-bound banner has little significance, said Louis Parker, exhibits manager at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.

"That doesn't give it any more importance than any other piece of fabric that was here on Earth," he said.

But Moser insisted that the piece does indeed have value, since it represents the beginning of an era of space exploration that now has an uncertain future as the space shuttle makes its final voyage.

"The flag is the icon of the whole accomplishment of the United States being first to the moon and of a great accomplishment for mankind," he said. "Being part of that icon, it has a special meaning."
It was two weeks before the liftoff of the Apollo 11 mission when Thomas Moser's boss walked into his office at NASA and announced, "We're putting a flag on the moon."

Moser, then a 30-year-old mechanical engineer, was put in charge of designing a flag mechanism that could not only fit into the lunar module and survive the flight, but also make the flag appear to fly on the windless moon.

His solution involved two sections of a staff, a telescoping tube and a nylon flag bought at a local housing goods store (Sears, he thinks). But in order for the flag to fit the staff, its edges needed to be trimmed. "They were throwing it all in the trash," Moser recalled of the remnants, "so I picked it up out of the trash can, mounted it and had Neil Armstrong sign it."

Forty-two years later, Moser is auctioning off those flag remnants.

The expected selling price: $100,000.

"There's so much attention on the manned space program right now that the timing may be good," Moser said, referring to the final launching of the space shuttle Atlantis on Friday.

A dangerous business

Moser's flag shreds are the star lot of an extensive space memorabilia auction being held in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Sunday. Other notable items include the astronaut Deke Slayton's handwritten training notes from the Mercury program and dozens of heat shields, crew patches and other ephemera that once transcended earthly bounds.

For collectors, the remnants of the space flag are "comparable to a Betsy Ross flag or the flag flying over the port in Baltimore in 1812," said Michael Orenstein, who is overseeing the auction for Goldberg Coins and Collectibles. Two days before the auction, online pre-bidding for the lot had reached $49,999.

But trading in space nostalgia can be a dangerous business. In June, investigators confiscated a triangular nub of transparent tape an eighth of an inch wide from an auction house in St. Louis because it contained tiny particles of moon dust. Selling moon rocks, no matter how small, is illegal, as is selling NASA property that the agency has not willingly disposed of.

Orenstein said that his auction contained no moon particles, and that all NASA property in the sale had been discarded by the agency long ago. A NASA spokesman declined to comment on the status of the items.

'I was there'

There are also economic concerns. The collectibles market tends to follow the overall economy; when money is tight, even avid collectors are less likely to spend money on memorabilia. But Orenstein said he believed that rule did not apply to one-of-a-kind items like the flag remnants. "Just give me two flag collectors who can't live without it," he said.

As for Moser, he does not plan to attend the auction, but he was at Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Friday to watch the Atlantis lift off. "I spent most of my life developing the shuttle," said Moser, who retired from NASA in 1989 after 25 years with the agency. "I was there from sketch pad to launch pad."
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - As the miles melted between Atlantis and the International Space Station, the emotions grew — in orbit and on the ground.

At Mission Control on Sunday, lead flight director Kwatsi Alibaruho declared "this is it" as he gave the OK for the final docking in space shuttle history. Flashbacks to the shuttle's very first space station docking — with Russia's Mir in 1995 — flooded his mind as viewed the shuttle on the screens. He was a NASA trainee back then.

About 240 miles above the Pacific, the station's naval bell chimed a salute — one of many landmarks, or rather spacemarks, of this final two-week shuttle mission that are being savored one by one.

"Atlantis arriving," called out space station astronaut Ronald Garan Jr. "Welcome to the International Space Station for the last time."

"And it's great to be here," replied shuttle commander Christopher Ferguson.

Cries of joy and laughter filled the connected vessels once the hatches swung open and the two crews — 10 space fliers altogether representing three countries — exchanged hugs, handshakes and kisses on the cheek. Cameras floated everywhere, recording every moment of the last-of-its-kind festivities.

Atlantis, carrying a year's worth of supplies, is being retired after this flight, the last of the 30-year shuttle program.

"I won't say that I got close to welling up in the eyes, but I will say that it was a powerful moment for me," Alibaruho later told reporters. He tried to keep his feelings discreet so as not to distract his team of flight controllers, but said, "I know they were all feeling very similar emotions, thinking about where we've come from, how much we've accomplished ... what's coming next."

Alibaruho said the moment was also powerful for the 10 people in space for the docking: six Americans, three Russians and one Japanese.

"You could sense a palpable increase in emotion from all of the crew members, not just our U.S. astronauts," he said. "They were extremely happy and really elated to see their visitors, and I know that they really recognize and appreciate the significance of these moments."

A computer failure aboard Atlantis took away some of the redundancy desired for the rendezvous, but did not hamper the operation.

Within a few hours, though, news came that NASA was monitoring a piece of space junk that could come dangerously close to the orbiting shuttle-station complex on Tuesday — right in the middle of a spacewalk.

Mission management team chairman LeRoy Cain stressed it was still too soon to know whether the unidentified object would truly pose a threat, and that a decision would be made Monday as to whether the linked spacecraft would have to move out of harm's way. The size of the object was not immediately known.

This was the 46th docking by a space shuttle to a space station.

Nine of those were to Mir back in the 1990s, with Atlantis making the very first. The U.S. and Russia built on that sometimes precarious experience to create, along with a dozen other nations, the world's largest spacecraft ever: the permanently inhabited, finally completed, 12 1/2-year-old International Space Station.

This time, Atlantis is delivering more than 5 tons of food, clothes and other space station provisions — an entire year's worth, in fact, to keep the complex going in the looming post-shuttle era.

The shuttle astronauts quickly handed over a bag of groceries loaded with fresh fruit and promised the station residents some extra jars of peanut butter. "Outstanding," said inhabitant Michael Fossum.

Ferguson was at the controls as Atlantis drew closer, leading the smallest astronaut crew in decades.

Only four are flying aboard Atlantis, as NASA kept the crew to a minimum in case of an emergency. In the unlikely event that Atlantis was seriously damaged, the shuttle astronauts would need to move into the space station for months and rely on Russian Soyuz capsules to get back home. A shuttle always was on standby before for a possible rescue, but that's no longer feasible with Discovery and Endeavour officially retired now.

Two days into this historic voyage — the 135th in 30 years of shuttle flight — Atlantis was said by NASA to be sailing smoothly, free of notable damage. Sunday's docking proved to be as flawless as Friday's liftoff.

As a safeguard, Atlantis performed the usual backflip for the space station cameras, before the linkup. The station astronauts used powerful zoom lenses to photograph all sides of the shuttle. Experts on the ground will scrutinize the digital images for any signs of damage that might have come from fuel-tank foam, ice or other launch debris.

Atlantis and its crew will spend more than a week at the orbiting complex. The shuttle flight currently is scheduled to last 12 days, but NASA likely will add a 13th day to give the astronauts extra time to complete all their chores.

As for the shuttle's failed computer, Alibaruho said a bad switch throw likely knocked it offline. He expects it to be working again once new software is installed Monday. The shuttle has five of these main computers; the check-and-balance network provides redundancy during the most critical phases of the mission, especially launch and landing.

NASA is getting out of the launching-to-orbit business, giving Atlantis, Endeavour and Discovery to museums, so it can start working on human trips to asteroids and Mars. Private U.S. companies will pick up the more mundane job of space station delivery runs and, still several years out, astronaut ferry flights.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden stressed in an interview with CNN's "State of the Union" program Sunday morning that the United States will remain the world leader in space exploration, even after the shuttles stop flying.

"I would encourage the American public to listen to the president," Bolden said. "The president has set the goals: an asteroid in 2025, Mars in 2030. I can't get any more definitive than that."

___

Online:

NASA: http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle
All of this is from a local newspaper, I take no credit to it at all.

quote tags inserted - tkd
Last edited by Graces4you on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.