The most scary episodes

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
orangie
OK

The most scary episodes

Post by orangie »

I guess this topic depends on what age you started listening to Odyssey. I started listening to Odyssey when I was six or seven. For me, I was totallly freaked out with all the episodes featuring the character AREM. I even thought that when I used the computer AREM would pop on the screen. Silly how the way kids think! It probably was because I had never heard the episode where AREM is really Robert Mitchell. Has anyone else been scared silly of an Odyssey episode when they were little?
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Well, a few come to mind...

"The Case of the Secret Room" used to scare me a little when I was younger, in the part where Mr. Fenwick is sneaking around Whit's End.

The part in "Darkness Before Dawn" where Jason and Eugene are talking about The Silent One, and Jason figures out that it's referring to Ruku, always scared me a little too, for some reason.

However, the scariest episodes I can think of are "The Mysterious Stranger" -- which still spooks me, to this day -- and "Castles and Cauldrons", which is too creepy for my comfort.
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

"Castles and Cauldrons" was a scary one for me too.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Umm yeah I listen'd to "Novacom" When I was 6. I thought it was just another good album so I popped it in when I was in bed and it freaked me out SO MUCH. Clearly not learning my lesson a little later I listen'd to "The Black Veil" In bed when I was 7. Also freaked out then :yes: I remember being kind of scared of No way In and No Way Out :shrugs: Never Blackgaard though for some reason. Oh yeah and "The Mysterious Stranger" To. At the end of the episode when the strangers father was howling :shivers: So creepy.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I started listening when was about 6, and I can think of two episodes that creeped me out, The Case of the Secret Room, that one was creepy, especially when Mr. Fenwick was in the basement, that voice still gives me shivers. And The Mysterious Stranger, that whole episode was really scary to me. Even now it's a little creepy. Another one that freaked me out a little, was in the one about the painting with Alfred Meyers in it. (I forgot the name, does anyone know? it's been bugging me.) Alfred Meyers' voice was a little freaky to me.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I started listening when was about 6, and I can think of two episodes that creeped me out, The Case of the Secret Room, that one was creepy, especially when Mr. Fenwick was in the basement, that voice still gives me shivers. And The Mysterious Stranger, that whole episode was really scary to me. Even now it's a little creepy. Another one that freaked me out a little, was in the one about the painting with Alfred Meyers in it. (I forgot the name, does anyone know? it's been bugging me.) Alfred Meyers' voice was a little freaky to me.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I didn't really start getting into Odyssey until I was about 11 or 12. But the first time I heard "The Mysterious Stranger" it kind of freaked me out, like Taps said, Steven's howling gives one the shivers. The Case of the Secret Room was mildly creepy, but the only thing that shocked me was the fact that they had the skeleton in the secret room. However, nothing from Novacom spooked me at all. It was pretty low-key for about half the saga. Though, I still really get into the Plan B 4-parter. That's probably one of my favorite Novacom shows. The Black Veil was a little bit frightning, mostly the portions of the show where someone was on a mad rampage, like Nicky and the Mulligan's neighbor-they were both a little creepy.

Sigh... I wish we could have some more shows like The Secret Room and the Mysterious Stranger that are creepy, and show some of Whit's End's history.

Wow. No smilies at all. I must be acting mature!
he/him | a little stinker.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

The first album I ever got as a small child was 38. I was laying in bed, at approx. age 6, scared witless listening to The Black Veil, Part 1. Not knowing at the time how to operate my CD player, I was forced to lay in bed till the end of Disk 1, hearing crazy people break things, screaming, Whit talking about being Hitler, and then ending with Sam Hitchcock's deranged "The disease will destroy us ALL!!". I didn't listen to album 38 for many years after that. My parents decided to give me the new album 39 instead, a much better choice. The only other time I've been freaked by Odyssey was the end of The Mysterious Stranger, Part 1, when Whit and Lucy were in the Tate house wreck, and as you've all mentioned, Steven begins to howl. HOWL!! HOW SCARY WAS THAT!!!??? Castles and Cauldrons, however, is one of my favourite eps.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

I do not recall the name of the episode since it's been ages since I listened to AIO. It was about Jimmy being nearly involved in demonic practices because his family member came and introduced a parody of Castles and Cauldrons. They had an Ouija board and Whit came and stopped the guy from cutting Jimmy's hand. Other than that episode, none of the episodes really scared me because I knew good would always prevail.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Young&Mighty wrote:I do not recall the name of the episode since it's been ages since I listened to AIO. It was about Jimmy being nearly involved in demonic practices because his family member came and introduced a parody of Castles and Cauldrons.
You mean a parody of "Dungeons & Dragons"?

The name of the episode was "Castles & Cauldrons"... it apparently is a very popular episode to be afraid of, judging by the above posts. ;-)
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

Bob wrote:
Young&Mighty wrote:I do not recall the name of the episode since it's been ages since I listened to AIO. It was about Jimmy being nearly involved in demonic practices because his family member came and introduced a parody of Castles and Cauldrons.
You mean a parody of "Dungeons & Dragons"?

The name of the episode was "Castles & Cauldrons"... it apparently is a very popular episode to be afraid of, judging by the above posts. ;-)
Whoopsies... It is indeed a scary episode though. No wonder AIO gave a warning for the parents to stick with their kids during the broadcast.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Young&Mighty wrote:
Whoopsies... It is indeed a scary episode though. No wonder AIO gave a warning for the parents to stick with their kids during the broadcast.
I agree; sometimes I think the parental warnings might be a little overkill (as in, "come on, this episode isn't that bad"), but I think sticking one on C&C was a very good decision.

As it is, it still creeps me out, and I'm a bit older than the intended listening audience. I can probably count the number of times I've heard it on one hand -- it's been years.

C&C is one of the few episodes that, as far as I can recall, is deadly serious the whole way through, and while it certainly is a very powerful episode, it isn't one I personally enjoy listening to... and apparently most other people feel the same way.

It was a necessary message to get across, though; not all role-playing is bad, but things that introduce alternate religions or occult practices for people to entertain are definitely un-Christian and unsafe, and it was a good idea for FOTF to cover it, even if people aren't happy with or don't enjoy the result.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Most of the episodes I had heard when I was a little kid were Novacom eps, and I don't recall ever being frightened by any of those. I didn't hear most of the more intnse episodes until I was 13 or 14, so they never really bothered me or anything. I love the sort of creepy feeling in C&C, but it always scares my younger siblings.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

My reasons for liking C&C so, I gave throughout a few different posts in the Episode Competition thread, near the beginning.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

wow, I feel WAY too old when you all are talking about being young and listening to the Novacom saga...{searches for grey hairs in front of the mirror}

One episode that really creeped me out was Blackgaard's Revenge where he was trying to take Aubrey's soul...that kind of creeped me out, and it didn't help that i listened to it after i went to bed...
But I agree with some of these...Case of the Secret Room was a little scary in the basement scene...C&C was scary when Jimmy and Len were in the tent and Whit comes in. I think those are the main ones. I still like them though. And I agree with Steve...we need more of the suspense mystery type episodes that go into some of the history of the area and stuff!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I've never been extremely creeped out by an AIO program until I listened to The Case of the Secret Room. That one is the only one that REALLY bothered me. :anxious:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:The first album I ever got as a small child was 38. I was laying in bed, at approx. age 6, scared witless listening to The Black Veil, Part 1. Not knowing at the time how to operate my CD player, I was forced to lay in bed till the end of Disk 1, hearing crazy people break things, screaming, Whit talking about being Hitler, and then ending with Sam Hitchcock's deranged "The disease will destroy us ALL!!". I didn't listen to album 38 for many years after that.

HAHA no way that's exactly what happen'd to me!!! Good times huh? ;)
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

Nothing to Fear gives me everything to fear I sitll can't listen to that episode
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

When I was very little (like 4) I found All Well With Boswell so scary that I couldn't listen it through.

Castles & Cauldrons is so scary I have never made it through, but I think that it misrepresents Dungeons & Dragons (not that I have ever played it, this is just what it sound like from reading about it). Magic in Dungeons & Dragons seems to act more like this:
"I cast a fire spell on the kobold, using up my fire spell slot."
"Then roll 1d6 to see if you hit. Look you hit it. Now roll 1d6+5 to see how much damage you did. And you hit for 10 hit points. The kobold dies"
(note: I am making up the exact details but I think you get the picture. Also note: someone who has actually played D&D could give a more actuate description of it.)
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

I believe that Whit said that for most people it will only be a harmless game, but as Dr. Dobson said at the beginning, there are cases of people getting into demonic contact and Satanism through this game. It's not most, but it does happen.