Disney's newest fairy tale: Tangled!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Will you see 'Tangled'?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 16

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

You have to be kidding me. :o 2010 is the greatest year for animated movies ever. Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Gahoole, and now Tangled?!? (I haven't seen Shrek Forever After, Megamind, Alpha and Omega or The Illusionist yet.) This is absolutely incredible!

Tangled is—and I don't say this lightly—the best movie ever to come out of Walt Disney Studios (animated or not). Both Rapunzel and Flynn are voiced by perfect voice actors. I enjoyed all of their lines simply because I wanted to hear their voices! The plot was amazing. I never could've dreamed up a back story to Rapunzel like this.

My jaw truly dropped during the final epic scene... one of the most unexpected twists ever. I highly recommend this movie. A+

...and all that being said, it's my fourth favorite movie of the year. >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

American Eagle wrote:You have to be kidding me. :o 2010 is the greatest year for animated movies ever. Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Gahoole, and now Tangled?!? (I haven't seen Shrek Forever After, Megamind, Alpha and Omega or The Illusionist yet.) This is absolutely incredible!

Tangled is—and I don't say this lightly—the best movie ever to come out of Walt Disney Studios (animated or not). Both Rapunzel and Flynn are voiced by perfect voice actors. I enjoyed all of their lines simply because I wanted to hear their voices! The plot was amazing. I never could've dreamed up a back story to Rapunzel like this.

My jaw truly dropped during the final epic scene... one of the most unexpected twists ever. I highly recommend this movie. A+

...and all that being said, it's my fourth favorite movie of the year. >_>
Wow!!!! =D> Lovely review!! Yes, Tangled is the best film to come from Disney in a VERY VERY long time. While it may not quite live up to the stunning Disney films of the 90s, it comes really close.

The music is amoung my favorite Disney soundtracks!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

AIO Psyche wrote:The music is amoung my favorite Disney soundtracks!
I agree! I really like Beauty and the Beast's soundtrack, but this came close. When "I See the Light" began on the boat... epic moment. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Well Disney is going on a right track. This year's movie is suppose to be an animated movie of Winnie the Pooh, no more live action movie junk. Its about time Disney went back its original roots of why we love them so much. Movie's with great animation, sing a long musicals, humor, and a great story.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

American Eagle wrote:I agree! I really like Beauty and the Beast's soundtrack, but this came close. When "I See the Light" began on the boat... epic moment. \:D/
I'm not gonna lie. I cried. :cry:

The part of that film was magical. The Essence of Disney, I call it.

And 100% agree on the BatB soundtrack. It's about as perfect as a film soundtrack can get. Stunning musical talent.

gunblader3 wrote:Well Disney is going on a right track. This year's movie is suppose to be an animated movie of Winnie the Pooh, no more live action movie junk. Its about time Disney went back its original roots of why we love them so much. Movie's with great animation, sing a long musicals, humor, and a great story.
Amen.

Disney is, and always will be, first and foremost an animation studio. And the tradition, the heritage, the legacy if hand drawn animation has been lost over the last decade. A studio exec for Disney back in the late 90s saw the growing success and popularity of CGI films. He also noticed that hand drawn animated films from his own studio were starting to, well, stink. The wise exec thought that with poop hand drawn films tanking at the box office and CGI films making money (not cause people liked CGI better, but cause the CGI films from Pixar in the late 90s were just INCREDIBLE films) and assumed, in his wisdom, that people no longer had a taste for hand drawn animation: CGI is the wave of the future!!!

So, he shut down the hand drawn animation department within Disney.

It's disgusting, really.

But to FINALLY see Disney get back on track with hand drawn is a dream come true. 'The Princess and the Frog' was a HUGE step in the right direction. It was the best animated film from Disney in years. It returned to the musical format of the 90s. A lot of people didn't care for the film, but I found it both charming and moving. I absolutely loved it, and saw it several times in theaters.

However, 'Tangled' went far and beyond PatF. It had that 'Disney' quality from the 90s. It was smart, funny, moving, thrilling, and most of all, it had real, honest, heart.

And with 'Pooh' coming out this summer, I am certain that Disney is finally in the path they left several years ago. :-)

As more and more poop CGI films were produced over the years,
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Again, American Eagle, I love you! :P

Having finally stopped my count, as of being forced to stop... because of my movie theater finally letting the film go, at 9 views, I have to say that after nine times and a million more views on youtube... the Lantern Scene will forever get me. And after watching Gnomeo & Juliet twice, that annoying tendency to KILL a kiss before it happens has now become my Pet Peeve #5 in life. lol. I really wish they would have kissed. Perfect set up, perfect EVERYTHING. *not to mention Zachary Levi's voice is heavenly... and perfect, just perfect*

I can't wait for Sunday, to be honest.... Oscars! :P And as for Tangled having gotten a lot of nominations... and absolutely no wins, they kind of deserve, and totally for Alan Menken, the win of Best Original Song at the Oscars. *not to mention Zachary Levi & Mandy Moore, with Alan Menken at the piano, singing "I See the Light"... *dies from excitement*

:P
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

@ AIO Pysche: Yeah, the floating lantern scene was pretty awesome, and the horse was hilarious! And I LOVE the music. One of my favorite songs was "When Will My Life Begin." But I also love "I See the Light," and "I Have a Dream" was pretty cool.
@ Danielle: I do agree with you on the kiss thing. It was pretty dumb when he just suddenly stopped.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

.....Well, he did see the guys and wanted to rid himself of the crown. Yes, he should have kissed her, and then gone, but that would have been anti-climactic. :noway: Besides, heartbreaking romances are better for a movie. :inlove:

Er, heartbreaking with a good ending, I mean. ;)
Last edited by Termite on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Yeah, I suppose so. :)
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

AIO Psyche wrote: Amen.

Disney is, and always will be, first and foremost an animation studio. And the tradition, the heritage, the legacy if hand drawn animation has been lost over the last decade. A studio exec for Disney back in the late 90s saw the growing success and popularity of CGI films. He also noticed that hand drawn animated films from his own studio were starting to, well, stink. The wise exec thought that with poop hand drawn films tanking at the box office and CGI films making money (not cause people liked CGI better, but cause the CGI films from Pixar in the late 90s were just INCREDIBLE films) and assumed, in his wisdom, that people no longer had a taste for hand drawn animation: CGI is the wave of the future!!!

So, he shut down the hand drawn animation department within Disney.

It's disgusting, really.

But to FINALLY see Disney get back on track with hand drawn is a dream come true. 'The Princess and the Frog' was a HUGE step in the right direction. It was the best animated film from Disney in years. It returned to the musical format of the 90s. A lot of people didn't care for the film, but I found it both charming and moving. I absolutely loved it, and saw it several times in theaters.

However, 'Tangled' went far and beyond PatF. It had that 'Disney' quality from the 90s. It was smart, funny, moving, thrilling, and most of all, it had real, honest, heart.

And with 'Pooh' coming out this summer, I am certain that Disney is finally in the path they left several years ago. :-)

As more and more poop CGI films were produced over the years,
*looks at bold* Pun intended?

Anyways, interesting read.

I also like to add that making CGI films is actually a lot cheaper,easier, and faster to make than say making a animated quality film. I think also that people were starting to get tired of animated movies and when they saw Toy Story, it got high regards because it was the first fully CGI feature-length movie.

The only thing I am getting tired of CGI movies now is that all of them are all plain comedy genre. I really wish they can mix things up, which is another reason why I applaud Pixar for mixing comedy with emotional heart touching feel (don't know the name to this kind of genre) rather than DreamWorks doing nothing but attempting contemporary comedy. )
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

CGI is not cheaper.
Tangled cost Disney an estimated $260 million... second most expensive movie in the history of movie making. Yeah........ they had to make her hair... that took time... and money...
Disney made their money back. Way better and more effective than PatF, yes.... they thought PatF was a failure. Disney made back some money in the USA, and garnered some from outside the USA.
But it was still an expensive movie.

Hand-drawn can have its pluses too. Winnie the Pooh was hand drawn and it comes out... this summer? *I saw a preview for it during Gnomeo & Juliet. I have never liked Winnie the Pooh, so it is not on my "high" list of things to see...*

CGI can be tricky in some ways, but exciting to use in other ways. Pixar uses it to their advantage, to be honest. They have some great story lines too... though, the whole Cars 2 thing... *shakes head. Is there really 27 sequels in movies this year? And Cars has to be one of them?* But Disney itself has fun ideas, and Tangled was one of them. In fact, I read an article where someone said that Rapunzel had been in the works for years, way back when the original Princess movies were created. But it was a hard fairytale to actually transform to the big screen. Then someone came along and broke it open - and spectacularly, YES.

This of course does not mean CGI is going out, or hand drawn is going out *Glen Kleane said he used some hand drawings for Tangled... I see them a lot. "The Art of Tangled" book I'm about to get soon... I believe some CGI was used with PatF. In combination, movies can turn out well* Fairytales themselves are not going out. Yes, people have taken some things like Tangled to say there will be no more fairytales or Princess stories... Disney has been around for years and will continue to be. The future is definitely uncertain. Who knows what will happen. I would like to see if Disney would work up the courage to work on "The Snow Queen" - whatever it may be about. Alan Menken is a masterpiece - and he was signed up for the score... so... if they can work on that.... lol. Who knows...

The audience and the genres and the ideas are all changing... the world is changing.

PS: As you can tell... I read everything in this thread.. sorry for being redundant at times guys...
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:CGI is not cheaper.
No, its not. But making CGI animation as compare to hand draw animation is.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote: Tangled cost Disney an estimated $260 million... second most expensive movie in the history of movie making. Yeah........ they had to make her hair... that took time... and money...
Disney made their money back. Way better and more effective than PatF, yes.... they thought PatF was a failure. Disney made back some money in the USA, and garnered some from outside the USA.
But it was still an expensive movie.
The movie had a 260 mil budget because it was in development heck for over 6 years. It had nothing to do with it being CGI or not. They had to scrap the Rapunzel idea about 2 times before they got it right the third time (aka this movie \:D/ )
Sure maybe some of the 260 mil went into CGI animation, but I highly doubt it took a whole lot of money to do so. I mean compare this movie's animation to Pixars "Up" which was more rich in environment details and had 175 mil budget.... yeah you kinda get the point.

Also to note: I don't have anything against CGI animated movies. I'm just tired of Disney making really low budgeted live action movies.
Last edited by gunblader3 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

A little random, but I saw this commercial for Rapunzel (voiced by Corey Burton ;)) and it totally reminded me the Novabox commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCf0qOC7da0
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

H Tide wrote:A little random, but I saw this commercial for Rapunzel (voiced by Corey Burton ;)) and it totally reminded me the Novabox commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCf0qOC7da0
That's funny. I'd like to see some behind-the-scenes videos on how they did the animation and stuff like that.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

All on youtube. BTS stuff... LOADS.

Haha, I've seen that "commercial" - oh Disney... lol
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ahhh! Thanks for the link, H Tide. That is the best commercial ever! It totally reminds me of Novacom, and I always love hearing Corey Burton's voice. :D
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

:lol: That was awesome. And you're right, Catspaw, it totally had that 'Novacom' vibe to it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Amethystic wrote: :lol: That was awesome. And you're right, Catspaw, it totally had that 'Novacom' vibe to it.
Actually, H Tide said it first. ;) So I guess we're all Novacommies. \:D/
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

*thread merged*

The Disney movie Tangled is out on DVD finally! I just bought it yesterday. I think this is the best animated film Disney has released in a long time. What do you think?
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. Maybe now that it's on DVD I can finally see it.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis