What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The King s Daughter wrote:I'm almost finished with The Silver Chair. It's great. :D
Hey, that's my favorite. Besides The Magicians Nephew. And The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. :D
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

ric wrote:
The King s Daughter wrote:I'm almost finished with The Silver Chair. It's great. :D
Hey, that's my favorite. Besides The Magicians Nephew. And The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. :D
Awesome! :D

I haven't attempted to decide on my favorite Narnia book now that I've almost re-read them all. I've never read The Last Battle though, so it'll be interesting! \:D/ But it's so sad about Susan. :( She used to be my favorite character until I found out how she was in the end.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Into the Rising Sun, a book of memoirs by World War II vets who fought in the Pacific. It is gripping.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Laurie, you're reading the books that I want to read right now! :mad: I will definitely look for "Lady in Waiting" - thanks for the recommendation! I'm also waiting to read the new Tamera Alexander book - I really have enjoyed the other books I read by her.

Last night I finished re-reading "In Sheep's Clothing" by Susan May Warren. I love her books! I'm probably going to re-read the next book in the series, "Sands of Time," next. :D I'm also reading a non-fiction book (shocking, I know!) called "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn. It's very interesting so far - if you're interested in reading about ideas about how to effectively and ethically motivate people by encouraging intrinsic motivation instead of solely using extrinsic motivation. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it's very intriguing.
You are welcome!! I am loving the Tamera Alexander book, it's great. I've read all of the other books by her too. I found out from someone on another forum that she has a new series coming out next year.
Here are a couple of links to Lady in Waiting:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... =1&search=

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... %20Waiting
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks, Laurie. :D I might wait for it from the library, or I might succumb and buy it. I actually have some gift certificates for my local Christian bookstore, so I might look for it next time I'm there. :D In the CBD link they had a recommendation quote from Siri Mitchell, and I love her books, so that's another good reason to think I'll really enjoy the book!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Thanks, Laurie. :D I might wait for it from the library, or I might succumb and buy it. I actually have some gift certificates for my local Christian bookstore, so I might look for it next time I'm there. :D In the CBD link they had a recommendation quote from Siri Mitchell, and I love her books, so that's another good reason to think I'll really enjoy the book!
You are very welcome!! Whichever way is best for you. From the tone of your posts you sound anxious to read it so I thought I would provide the links. I love Siri Mitchell too. Lady in Waiting was the first Susan Meissner book I have read and if she continues to write books like this one I will continue to read them.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

At the moment I'm reading a collection of short stories by L. M. Montgomery. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Laura Ingalls wrote:At the moment I'm reading a collection of short stories by L. M. Montgomery. \:D/
Yay! \:D/ Which one?

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I am reading a book called "Six Frigates". It is by Ian W. Toll and it is about the founding of the U. S. Navy. Very interesting book.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The King s Daughter wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:At the moment I'm reading a collection of short stories by L. M. Montgomery. \:D/
It's called At the Altar...I don't think I've seen it at my library before, yet one of the stories seems familiar. :-k So some of them may be from another collection as well.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I've been going through the Shopaholic series, which, minus the occasional language, is quite funny and an enjoyable read.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
The King s Daughter wrote:
It's called At the Altar...I don't think I've seen it at my library before, yet one of the stories seems familiar. :-k So some of them may be from another collection as well.
If TKD hadn't asked which book it was, I would have! I can't remember if I've read that one or not, but there are a number of themed collections like that, and I think some of them had been previously published, while others were more recently discovered. (Recently meaning within the last couple decades, not the last couple months.) ;) LMM's short stories are an enjoyable read, if not always as good as many of her books. There are definitely some similar themes.

I finished "Sands of Time" by Susan May Warren, the second in the Mission: Russia series, and I'll be moving on the third one, "Wiser than Serpents," which is probably my favourite of the three in the series. :D
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I just finished the 10th Mandie book. I'm going blank on the title.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Chapter 5 of Castle Roogna! \:D/ Very odd so far. I love it.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I am reading Elyon by Ted Dekker and also Sherlock Holmes.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

EMBEE wrote:I just finished the 10th Mandie book. I'm going blank on the title.
I read the first Mandie book when I was pretty little, so I don't remember it. But I should really read them sometime. Library here I come! \:D/

I finished The Last Battle. Awww, no more Narnia. :( *reads over again* kidding of course ;)

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Just finished Adam of the Road! Love it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am now reading The Missing by Beverly Lewis.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

i'm reading left behind book 9 DESECRATION
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Within My Heart last night, it was excellent as all of Tamera Alexander's books are. I am now reading The Crimson Cipher by Susan Page Davis. It is romance/intrigue set in 1915 during World War I, very good so far.