Driving

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Chandler wrote:
American Eagle wrote:So... two days ago, I was driving home with my mother and sisters from gym class. I went to make a right turn onto a busier street, but my turn was awkward and I pulled out in front of a guy. The turn itself was jagged, and overall a bad turn. So like a half a mile later, the guy I got in front of passes us, and he screamed something out his window at me. \:D/
Why are you driving so young? :o
I took driver's ed at age 14. I recently turned 15 and have a Level 1 license, so I can drive as long as someone 21+ is in the car. I think I was the youngest in my class, but I enjoy driving (especially because many of my friends are waiting until they turn 18 ;)).
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I never took driver's ed, but I still drove at 15 \:D/.

My parents just couldn't WAIT for someone to drive for them- they hate driving.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

American Eagle wrote:
Chandler wrote:
American Eagle wrote:So... two days ago, I was driving home with my mother and sisters from gym class. I went to make a right turn onto a busier street, but my turn was awkward and I pulled out in front of a guy. The turn itself was jagged, and overall a bad turn. So like a half a mile later, the guy I got in front of passes us, and he screamed something out his window at me. \:D/
I took driver's ed at age 14. I recently turned 15 and have a Level 1 license, so I can drive as long as someone 21+ is in the car. I think I was the youngest in my class, but I enjoy driving (especially because many of my friends are waiting until they turn 18 ;)).
Laws are stricter here. That's probably good. ;)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Each state (specifically, not the federal government) sets its own laws for young drivers. Currently, I think all states except North Dakota (?) have some form of GDL. Who knows why ND hasn't made one up yet.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Chandler wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Laws are stricter here. That's probably good. ;)
15 is the age you can get a license here in VA...almost everyone does as soon as they can. ;) Except me. :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I'm taking my road test tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail though. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Aww, I hope you pass, Anna! :D Don't feel bad if it takes you more than one try, though - lots of people have to retake the driving test, and sometimes it's because you get an evaluator who thinks that nobody should pass on the first try and stuff like that. :( It took both my best friend and my brother 3 times each to pass their tests, but they made it eventually! :D A piece of advice: don't run a stop sign on your test, like my best friend did on her second test. ;)

I don't adore driving, but I don't mind it, as long as it isn't in a big unfamiliar city. Just driving to work and around town and to city places that I'm familiar with is fine. I used to be 3 hours away from the university I was attending, so when I came home ever second or third weekend, I had lots of driving to do, but most of it was on the highway, and that I actually like. I like driving alone because then I can listen to whatever I want and sing along as loud as I want. ;)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Catspaw wrote:Aww, I hope you pass, Anna! :D Don't feel bad if it takes you more than one try, though - lots of people have to retake the driving test, and sometimes it's because you get an evaluator who thinks that nobody should pass on the first try and stuff like that. :( It took both my best friend and my brother 3 times each to pass their tests, but they made it eventually! :D A piece of advice: don't run a stop sign on your test, like my best friend did on her second test. ;)

I don't adore driving, but I don't mind it, as long as it isn't in a big unfamiliar city. Just driving to work and around town and to city places that I'm familiar with is fine. I used to be 3 hours away from the university I was attending, so when I came home ever second or third weekend, I had lots of driving to do, but most of it was on the highway, and that I actually like. I like driving alone because then I can listen to whatever I want and sing along as loud as I want. ;)
Thanks Catspaw!
I passed!! I'm so excited now. :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Catspaw wrote:I like driving alone because then I can listen to whatever I want and sing along as loud as I want. ;)
QFT. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Catspaw wrote:I like driving alone because then I can listen to whatever I want and sing along as loud as I want. ;)
I agree with Catspaw. :yes:

However, as a recent experience taught me: whilst driving and singing alone in your car, do not forget that your car has windows (and in my case, un-tinted windows).

I was coming home from school a couple of weeks ago and listening to the HSM3 soundtrack in my car. Naturally, I was also singing exuberantly.

My car and I stopped at a stoplight and I used the time at the stoplight to sing with even more soul. After about 30 seconds of this, I wondered why the two young guys in the truck in front of me where looking at me in their rearview mirror while smiling, pointing at me, and giving me the thumbs-up sign.

Mortified, I stopped singing and quickly flipped the sunshade down in front of my face... :oops:

Needless to say, I don't sing in the car with very much gusto anymore.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Anna><> wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Aww, I hope you pass, Anna! :D Don't feel bad if it takes you more than one try, though - lots of people have to retake the driving test, and sometimes it's because you get an evaluator who thinks that nobody should pass on the first try and stuff like that. :( It took both my best friend and my brother 3 times each to pass their tests, but they made it eventually! :D A piece of advice: don't run a stop sign on your test, like my best friend did on her second test. ;)

Thanks Catspaw!
Congratulations! :party:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Anna><> wrote: Thanks Catspaw!
Way to go! :D That's wonderful!
Frank wrote:
I agree with Catspaw. :yes:

However, as a recent experience taught me: whilst driving and singing alone in your car, do not forget that your car has windows (and in my case, un-tinted windows).
This is where highway driving comes in handy. ;) People see you for maybe a second or two, if at all, and therefore cannot stare at you while you sing along! \:D/ Just save your singing with gusto for moments when others aren't around to save yourself from more embarrassing scenes. ;) Poor Frank. :(
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:This is where highway driving comes in handy. ;) People see you for maybe a second or two, if at all
That's Catspaw for you—driving way over the speed limit. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Chandler wrote:
Catspaw wrote:This is where highway driving comes in handy. ;) People see you for maybe a second or two, if at all
That's Catspaw for you—driving way over the speed limit. :(
Only a little bit. O:) You know what I mean - people are either ahead of you or behind you, or maybe beside you briefly if they're passing you or you're passing them, but you don't sit and stare at the other drivers when you're going 108 km (maybe 60ish miles - I don't care enough to do the calculations) an hour (just slow enough to hopefully avoid a ticket...it's worked so far!)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Even the police can't catch you when you're going 108 miles per hour. :(
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR SUPERMAN!! Image
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, he doesn't use the roads, so it doesn't matter what speed he's going.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Who? Superman? :-s

If the police can't catch Catspaw, then Superman can!
Last edited by Chandler on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Chandler wrote:Image
Emoticon fail! [/emulation] ;)
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

ok....to bring up another old topic.... I passed my driving test this Thursday! (I love to drive... especially by myself...making tons of different voices and all that) :)
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Congratulations, Bob Booth! You sound really happy to have gained a little more autonomy.