How would you feel if AIO ended?

I know I don't like to think about it either!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

How would you feel if AIO ended?

I'd be heartbroken!!!
68%
Odyssey's run it's course.I don't care!
32%
What's AIO?
No votes

Total votes: 31

Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

The point is: AIO doesn't have to end. Fans are still interested, shows are still relevant, Whit is still the most amazing inventor, ice cream maker, author, teacher, grandfatherly, wisdom-imparting man around.

If the show ended, I would be sad, but I wouldn't feel cheated. Adventures is Odyssey has done well.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I think I would be sad to see it end, but there are still the CD's that people could listen to.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Definitely. :yes:
It still makes me feel better knowing that there's no sentimental ending show where all the characters walk into the sunset and leave me behind. :mecry:
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I brought this topic up a few months ago, and just like this time we went round and round in circles. Some of us will always be the ones who never want the show to end because it will continue to grow, and always have fresh new ideas. I like what Dave Griffin said when we were discussing the new voice of Mr. Whittaker. He said that "no matter who is acting or doing the voices, or how much the show changed, the show's real purpose is to reach people and teach lesson in a way to get kids interested, and that's what it will continue to do", or at least he said something along those lines.

Then again, I still have to lean for the other side of us, those of us who feel that the show has run it's years, and made a lot of good episodes. Reruns will be played for years to come for kids to hear, but for now, as we slowly lose characters or lose the original voices of the classic characters, the show changes and I'm afraid it is going to lose some of it's fresh family feel. With all these changes, we may need to get a new name for the show too.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I would be very sad. :(
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well, since the mid 90s kids have been moving away from audio entertainment, opting for a more visual experience that comics, cartoons, and video games offer. So I wouldn't be surprised if AIO ended. Sad, but not surprised. No one listens to the radio like they used too. People can now put videos on an ipod that's less than the size of an odyssey cassette tape. I know that's not saying much but I think the whole way we experienced odyssey as a child is being phased out. We would sit in front of the family's stereo or listen on the way to school or church in the car. If focus wants to keep AIO fresh, I would suggest they not try to change things up with gimmicks like "revamping the series". They should keep the same basic formula but change the distribution method. Have a good way to distribute the albums digitally (with good quality) provide, say, digital download album cards (like the iTunes album cards are sold at WalMart) in the christian bookstores, provide an easy way to manage your AIO albums digitally...really, because nobody buys CDs anymore either. It's all about digital distribution, and if AIO understands that they can stay alive for a long while.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Peachey Keen wrote:,one of them mentions that Dr. Dobson wanted to make 1,000 eps
The old guide said he wanted 2,000.
and on the 500 Enhanced CD,Chris,while playing around, ask to send in ideas "for those last 500 shows we're going to do.
She said the "next 500", not the "last 500".

My own feelings on the matter have been influenced by the latest hiatus--I've gone without new eps for what, close to 2 years? I really don't miss it much anymore, and I haven't even started listening to the new eps coming out.

So, sad to say, it probably wouldn't effect me that much anymore if it did end.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Tyler wrote:Well, since the mid 90s kids have been moving away from audio entertainment, opting for a more visual experience that comics, cartoons, and video games offer. So I wouldn't be surprised if AIO ended. Sad, but not surprised. No one listens to the radio like they used too. People can now put videos on an ipod that's less than the size of an odyssey cassette tape. I know that's not saying much but I think the whole way we experienced odyssey as a child is being phased out. We would sit in front of the family's stereo or listen on the way to school or church in the car. If focus wants to keep AIO fresh, I would suggest they not try to change things up with gimmicks like "revamping the series". They should keep the same basic formula but change the distribution method. Have a good way to distribute the albums digitally (with good quality) provide, say, digital download album cards (like the iTunes album cards are sold at WalMart) in the christian bookstores, provide an easy way to manage your AIO albums digitally...really, because nobody buys CDs anymore either. It's all about digital distribution, and if AIO understands that they can stay alive for a long while.
Not to mention I know I also did a lot of listening on long car trips or whatever... and yeah, I guess the old Gameboy was around back then, but now there are newer portable gaming systems that you can actual see without having to be in perfect lighting, plus they play movies... as well as ipods and portable DVD players that do the same.

There is a lot more to do on long car trips then when I was a kid listening to AIO...

And yeah, at home, too. I'd just sit and listen or something... but now there is intrawebs and fancy video games, etc that kids do instead. I used to say listen to AIO while playing Nintendo, but these days a lot of games you have to actually listen to dialogue and stuff to play...

So therefore, Focus should make an expansive AIO RPG.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Anna><> wrote:I'd be upset. DGL's ending, so I don't know if I'd survive if there was no more AIO either.
HEY! Love your avatar, Anna! I've seen that before...it was on an advertisement for the girls' retreat at my church.

Yeah, this is really :offtopic:, sorry.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Tyler wrote:Well, since the mid 90s kids have been moving away from audio entertainment, opting for a more visual experience that comics, cartoons, and video games offer. So I wouldn't be surprised if AIO ended. Sad, but not surprised. No one listens to the radio like they used too. People can now put videos on an ipod that's less than the size of an odyssey cassette tape. I know that's not saying much but I think the whole way we experienced odyssey as a child is being phased out. We would sit in front of the family's stereo or listen on the way to school or church in the car. If focus wants to keep AIO fresh, I would suggest they not try to change things up with gimmicks like "revamping the series". They should keep the same basic formula but change the distribution method. Have a good way to distribute the albums digitally (with good quality) provide, say, digital download album cards (like the iTunes album cards are sold at WalMart) in the christian bookstores, provide an easy way to manage your AIO albums digitally...really, because nobody buys CDs anymore either. It's all about digital distribution, and if AIO understands that they can stay alive for a long while.
I think that I like buying the CD's, uploading them onto my computer, and then putting them on my iPods.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Honestly, I would not be too dissapointed if Odyssey simply ended. It has had it's hay day... There are over 600 episodes. I could certainly live with that. (It would also leave me plenty of time to finally complete my collection) I have every album since abou 18 and have half of the first 18 ones, which feature some of the best episodes... =[
I do what I do.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Hey, Glenn, haven't seen you posting in awhile! Welcome back! :D
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Chandler wrote:Hey, Glenn, haven't seen you posting in awhile! Welcome back! :D
Thanks. Yeah, it's definitely been awhile. I had a really busy summer and just got adjusted to college life. Things are going smoother now so I have some more time for the ToO. =]
I do what I do.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

On one hand, I would be very sad if AIO ended. On the other, I wouldn't be too sad as they are expensive to import to Sweden. I'm kinda glad DGL is ending as that is one less thing I have left to 'collect'. (I also collect Patch the Pirate too). I always thought Connie and Jason should wind up together. I LOVE their reparté (sp) in For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll. As for Whit, seeing him settle down with a nice older woman would be a nice addition. It worked well with Jack and JoAnn and it's good for kids to know that love is for more than just the 'young'. Album 50 would have been good stopping point, but now I'm not sure what a 'logical' conclusion would be. Maybe Album 55? I can't see them going another 50 years.......that would cost a fortune!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

jennifertwt wrote:Album 50 would have been good stopping point, but now I'm not sure what a 'logical' conclusion would be. Maybe Album 55? I can't see them going another 50 years.......that would cost a fortune!
Album 55 would be too soon. :( If the show gets dropped after its thousandth episode, we'll see the series end near Vol. 80. Wow, it doesn't feel like it right now, since I've had years to process all the episodes, but 50 albums is really a ton.

And cost over the next fifty years wouldn't be an issue to consider at all. Focus (assuming it's still around then) will spend its money on something; if not Odyssey, then some other ministry. I've spent thousands of dollars on Odyssey, but there's nothing crazy about that ( :-$ ) since it was split into manageable portions.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Boswell wrote:And cost over the next fifty years wouldn't be an issue to consider at all. Focus (assuming it's still around then) will spend its money on something; if not Odyssey, then some other ministry. I've spent thousands of dollars on Odyssey, but there's nothing crazy about that ( :-$ ) since it was split into manageable portions.
I don't want to even think about it.............I meant to say 25 years or 50 ablums, not 50 years, sorry. I was filling in my collection at a nice slow pace until I decided to move to Sweden, then I had to finish it in a hurry, and that did cost a fortune and I'm still missing a few things I'd lilke to have, but shipping is definitely an issue. Personally, I'm not sure how many more albums I will buy. After a certain point, enough is enough, but then again, I would hate to part with anything I have, so.........who knows. I do, however, prefer to have something I can hold in my hand rather than a digital album. That seems like spending money for 'nothing' unless that means they are really cheap, then I might consider it. Time will tell!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I don't want AIO to end just so I don't have to spend money on it anymore (and yes, I buy as many shows as they sell). :noway:
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

You don't want it to end so you won't have to spend money on it?

Wouldn't even digital distribution of newer episodes cost money?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I don't want AIO to end...but I think if it keeps going down the road it's going it might not be worth listening to anymore. But hopefully album 51 will be better. :yes:
I've never bought an AIO album, I is poor. :( (Boswell's contest... :inlove:) So I just listen to each AIO on their website at least five or six times so I can memorize them. \:D/
The good ol' ToO.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

InHisArms wrote:So I just listen to each AIO on their website at least five or six times so I can memorize them. \:D/
I used to do that before I got an mp3. I have problems sleeping and it 'entertains' me to run the episode through my mind visualizing it. (Charlie Brown cartoons work well for this too as they are short).
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden