What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sherlock wrote:Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. \:D/
I read that one for a British Lit class a few years ago. Not a favourite, though I do remember being interested in trying to figure out what exactly was going on. I hope you enjoy it! :D

I'm reading Lori Wick's "Who Brings Forth the Wind." It deserves no literary awards or accolades, and I cannot highly recommend it, but I still find myself enjoying reading it. Sad, I know. :(
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Mostly my University Physics book and Empire of Light, a book which seems to be largely about how Tesla and Edison were epic archrivals. (Well-written and everything, though.)
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Honor in the Dust this morning, it was excellent. I am now reading A Measure of Mercy by Lauraine Snelling.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Munich Signature by Bodie Thoene.
...I hate marquees.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Catspaw wrote:
I read that one for a British Lit class a few years ago. Not a favourite, though I do remember being interested in trying to figure out what exactly was going on. I hope you enjoy it! :D
Thanks! :D

I think the real appeal to the book is that it is, after all, really a story about the experience of living centered around one day in the life of the main character and not about any particular moral lesson or ultimate plot point. Which is kind of cool. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Lauraine Snelling book. I loved it and did not want it to end, I love these books so much!! I am now starting Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

LOTF: Sacrifice by Karen Traviss. I seem to be reading a lot of Star Wars books lately. :-k
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I'm reading Holes by Louis Sachar, it's shaping up to be a great children's book. I can see why it won the Newbery.

-Robert
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sherlock wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Thanks! :D

I think the real appeal to the book is that it is, after all, really a story about the experience of living centered around one day in the life of the main character and not about any particular moral lesson or ultimate plot point. Which is kind of cool. ;)
I think what you call "kind of cool" is what I call "not really my kind of book." ;) But it certainly is something different!
Robo wrote:I'm reading Holes by Louis Sachar, it's shaping up to be a great children's book. I can see why it won the Newbery.

-Robert
That is a really good book, and the movie version is decent too. I hope you enjoy the story and the ending! :D I know I love it.

I'm reading Finding Stephanie by Susan May Warren. It's the third book in the Noble Legacy series. The first one was really interesting, though I liked the second one better. I read them a while ago, so it's fun getting reacquainted with all the characters. :D And Susan May Warren is a really good author!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.
I like both a good deal, although in this case both are re-reads of books I've already gone back and read several times.
... it's kind of odd, some books just sit on my shelf for ages without reading more than a few pages once and others get irretrievably damaged because I've read them so much
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Now I'm reading, and almost finished with, Skin by Ted Dekker. It's pretty exciting.

-Robert
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Missing by Beverly Lewis. Haven't had much reading time the last few days.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"Urgent Care" by Hannah Alexander. It's the third book in the series, and it's quite intriguing so far. :D They're more medical than I prefer, but my best friend told me that I would like the books, so I'm reading them. They are pretty good! For anybody who likes ER stuff, they would probably enjoy them even more than me.
Shadowgirl13
Tallying up

Post by Shadowgirl13 »

I just got finished reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare....
If your reading this, then that means I've proved that pizza is really good for you.
Yay!!!!
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I just finished reading The Blind Side by Michael Lewis. I really enjoyed it. John Lee Hancock is making it into a movie. It comes out in November. The trailer makes it look a bit different than the book although the author did co-write the script. Anywho...hopefully, it'll be a good film.

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I finished reading Straight Talk to Men and Their Wives by Dr. Dobson a few days ago! It was a good book; entertaining, interesting and informative. It contains some mature subject matter, so I wouldn't recomend it for younger kids. But, it's like for 52-year-old men, so what kid would want to read it? ;)

I'm now reading How to Live Like a King's Kid by Harold Hill. Very interesting book!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I'm currently reading "The Mill House" by Paul McCusker! \:D/
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I'm reading "A History of the American" people...900+ pages, spanning the first boats to land in the New World to 1997! Thick! But well written and exciting. It's just interesting to see the difference in people then and now. The men that influenced our politics and the revolution, etc...compare them to modern day presidents. They spoke and wrote multiple languages, hundreds of books and papers, invented AMAZING things, knew the politics and history of many nations brilliantly (and used all these things to write up OUR constitution). Not to mention, there was originally anti-slave writing in the founding documents that, according to this book, were written out to accommodate South Carolina who refused to sign it, among other colonies where slave-ownership was a "necessity".

Additionally, I'm a few chapters into Michael Medved's 10 Lies about America. SMALL POX BLANKETS ANYONE? It's not true, so don't buy it!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I'm trying to read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, but the chapters are dang long and I keep getting reading assignments (form other stuff of course) for homework!

-Robert
Malazabul
I've been here a bit

Post by Malazabul »

i am planning on starting Journey into the Night again
I am Malazabul on Runescape! current top levels:
combat: 72
defence: 54
attack: 60
strength: 67