How many of us are PC users?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Chandler wrote:
Anna><> wrote:
LizzieG wrote: Let's see... there was also the amazing Rollercoaster Tycoon
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon! I like that one rollercoaster that you could make faster and shoot people into the lake and drown them.

Sounds like a Communist plot. :anxious:
:shock: :eek!:
It does... but at least I was civil and entertained them with clowns before their dooms.
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Yup, PC's where it's at.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

David O wrote:
KODY 105 wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
Sherlock wrote:I remember Gizmos and Gadgets! Also some other game - I think it was called Troggle Trouble? And, of course, the ever popular Oregon Trail!
So much love for Gizmos and Gadgets! \:D/ No one ever knows what it is when I mention it. :( It was one of my favorite games growing up. Sadly, I can't get it to work on either of our Windows XPs. :( (Any tips?)
Try DosBox. It's a free download-- just search for it. Try abandonware or DOS game sites. Supposedly DosBox will allow an old DOS game to work properly, but I haven't gotten it working for me yet. But G&G works for me without it...
I echo the usage of dosbox. It's an excellent dos emulator which I have on two of my PCs, as well as on my Wii.

To run a game, you first need to mount the drive the game is on using the following command:

At the command prompt type "mount c c:\****"
**** = the name of the folder where you have your games stored. For easiest access, place your dos games in a folder in the root directory.
Then just type in the name of the executable program you use to run the game (be sure to include .exe at the end of the game's name.) Type dir/w to get a list of all the files in the your current directory, if you aren't sure of the exact filename.

For a more thorough tutorial, try this handy link!
:-k

I (used to) play it on a CD, and I can't figure out how to find the executable file with that. Here's the error message I've been getting that has prevented me from playing it:
The MIDI driver for your sound card could not be found. Make sure that the correct sound card drivers are installed before restarting Gizmos & Gadges! Consult your sound card's documentation for additional information.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

My PC's work good.
I might get a Mac if I felt like it though.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

LizzieG wrote:Where in the World Is Carmen San Diego? is another fun one, and I was a fan of Oregon Trail, the fourth edition... even though the main map/journey screen never worked, and I had to stare into blackness while listening to my partners complain that they didn't have enough fresh vegetables, or to my wagon crossing a river and wondering if we were going to make it. I purchased the fifth edition a year or so ago, but it just isn't the same since you don't get to pick/interact with your trailmates.
There were so many good ones!

I was intentionally omitting games that we had on the Mac at the time, but Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? was one of them. Unfortunately, when we got the game I was like, 8 and some of the geography bits were too complicated. :(

I also really enjoyed Battle Chess (another Mac game - Mac games used to be ridiculously expensive, so we only owned about 3). My absolute favorite, however, was Odell Down Under though in retrospect, all you did was move up the fish food chain through creative eating choices. ;)

Finally, the grand trio of SIM Farm, SIM Ant, and SIM City were at the top of the list of some of my most-played PC games.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I had Odell Down Under for Windows! I once had this fish that wouldn't lose health and could eat everything except for coral and sea cucumbers. Nothing would want to eat that butterfly-resembling green fish, but it could eat sharks, guitarfish, squid, and rays!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Ooh, add me to the long list of Oregon Trail players! Who can forget hunting and only being able to carry off 2000 lbs of meat? Tirelessly attempting to get good deals in trades? Trying to ford rivers to save a few bucks? Going at a grueling pace until someone got dysentery?
Sherlock wrote:Finally, the grand trio of SIM Farm, SIM Ant, and SIM City were at the top of the list of some of my most-played PC games.
In the same vein, Sim Park was another good one. I could never "win," but it was fun throwing different types or trees, plants, and animals together to try and force biodiversity.
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

LizzieG wrote:I (used to) play it on a CD, and I can't figure out how to find the executable file with that. Here's the error message I've been getting that has prevented me from playing it:
The MIDI driver for your sound card could not be found. Make sure that the correct sound card drivers are installed before restarting Gizmos & Gadges! Consult your sound card's documentation for additional information.
Because you're running into a MIDI problem, and MIDI drivers are pulled from the same place independent of what program you use to load them, I don't think that Dosbox will be able to correct that problem. I did a quick search and unearthed the following knowledge:
Some guy on Amazon wrote:This has to be one of the hardest Win95 games to get to work under WinXP.
I did it on two different systems and had an extra twist on the second system.

First, I have not been able to get it to work running the ssgwin32.exe in the installed \Tclwin\ssgwincd directory.

Put the CD in the drive and find the ssgwincd.exe in the ssgwincd directory.
Right click on this file and select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. At a minimum, check the "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" and select OK. I would go ahead and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95" for good measure, but at least one of my tests seemed to indicate this is not absolutely necessary.

Now you are ready to try and run this executable. You will still get
a MIDI error in a window titled "The Learning Company", so don't panic: "The MIDI driver for your sound card could not be found. Make sure that the current sound card drivers are installed before restarting Gizmos & Gadgets! Consult you sound card is documentation for additional protection."

Just click the "Exit" button and it may play OK.

If not, then maybe you will get a window titled "Error" with the message "Error with WaveMixOpenWave". This is what afflicted my second system I tried. To fix this, find and rename the wavemix.ini file (i.e. wavemix.ini.bak) - mine was in \WINDOWS and rename the wavemix.dll (i.e. wavemix.dll.bak) - mine was in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Keep in mind that may affect other existing programs, so you may want to make note of this for the future so you could reinstate these.

Then reboot your system and try running the ssgwincd.exe in the ssgwincd directory that we fixed earlier.

Good luck!
Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DK3EANHG5LRU

Taq wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Finally, the grand trio of SIM Farm, SIM Ant, and SIM City were at the top of the list of some of my most-played PC games.
I'll echo that! I made a hobby of trying to collect every SIM game there was for a while (lack of money and interest in "The Sims" did that habit in.) My favorites were Sim City 2000, and later 3000. I alway built large landfills and took neighboring cities' trash as a means of generating income. Putting polluting buildings on the corner of a map means that you only get a quarter of the pollution, you know. (Take that, neighbors! \:D/ )
Not dead yet.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Sherlock wrote:
LizzieG wrote:Where in the World Is Carmen San Diego? is another fun one, and I was a fan of Oregon Trail, the fourth edition... even though the main map/journey screen never worked, and I had to stare into blackness while listening to my partners complain that they didn't have enough fresh vegetables, or to my wagon crossing a river and wondering if we were going to make it. I purchased the fifth edition a year or so ago, but it just isn't the same since you don't get to pick/interact with your trailmates.
There were so many good ones!

I was intentionally omitting games that we had on the Mac at the time, but Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? was one of them. Unfortunately, when we got the game I was like, 8 and some of the geography bits were too complicated. :(

I also really enjoyed Battle Chess (another Mac game - Mac games used to be ridiculously expensive, so we only owned about 3). My absolute favorite, however, was Odell Down Under though in retrospect, all you did was move up the fish food chain through creative eating choices. ;)

Finally, the grand trio of SIM Farm, SIM Ant, and SIM City were at the top of the list of some of my most-played PC games.
I liked SIM Town a lot better than SIM City, except I liked SIM City 2000 because you could destroy everything, but other than that I didn't understand how the game worked.
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

I'm definitely a PC user. I thought at one point that I might like to try a mac, but that was way back in the day.

I um... think it is interesting that thought this thread is for the discussion of the use of PCs, it would seem that at least half or more of the talk is about a specific use of PCs... such as gaming.

With that point noted:

I was a big Oregon trail fan... I had II, and got to play III at a friend's house for a while. That and Amazon trail. (again... I had II and played III at my cousin's house) I also spent many hours playing the Yukon trail. That was a really fun one... braving the cold... searching for gold...

oh oh... one last one... SIM FARM!!!! That one was probably my favorite. But who can blame me... I grew up on a farm... so... :P

I need to try and find those game CDs when I go up to Canada next.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

redcanadian87 wrote:I'm definitely a PC user. I thought at one point that I might like to try a mac, but that was way back in the day.

I um... think it is interesting that thought this thread is for the discussion of the use of PCs, it would seem that at least half or more of the talk is about a specific use of PCs... such as gaming.

With that point noted:

I was a big Oregon trail fan... I had II, and got to play III at a friend's house for a while. That and Amazon trail. (again... I had II and played III at my cousin's house) I also spent many hours playing the Yukon trail. That was a really fun one... braving the cold... searching for gold...

oh oh... one last one... SIM FARM!!!! That one was probably my favorite. But who can blame me... I grew up on a farm... so... :P

I need to try and find those game CDs when I go up to Canada next.
I played Amazon trail! Except the only thing I was good at was the fish spearing game, other than that I couldn't really play it.
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Anna><> wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Anna><> wrote:
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon! I like that one rollercoaster that you could make faster and shoot people into the lake and drown them.

It does... but at least I was civil and entertained them with clowns before their dooms.
The Theme Park of Doom! :anxious:
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i am a pc user hard and true
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

rickyderocher wrote:
Anna><> wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Anna><> wrote:

The Theme Park of Doom! :anxious:
I know eh!
I just reinstalled RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 on my computer yesterday and I love it! And I haven't killed anyone yet. Except my PC is being a retard and that's the only disc it'll install. All my other games work on my brothers but not mine. Dumb PC's. I need a new one, or maybe a mac. :-s
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

I just installed SimGolf on my computer yesterday. I didn't like it that much when i first got it, but I'm glad I decided to give it another chance - it's really fun! Yay for the union of Sid Meier and Will Wright!
Anna><> wrote:I know eh!
I just reinstalled RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 on my computer yesterday and I love it! And I haven't killed anyone yet. Except my PC is being a retard and that's the only disc it'll install. All my other games work on my brothers but not mine. Dumb PC's. I need a new one, or maybe a mac. :-s
Although ironically if you were to get a mac you wouldn't be able to play RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 unless you were launching Windows Bootcamp, as RCT2 was only made for windows. ;)
Not dead yet.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

David O wrote:I just installed SimGolf on my computer yesterday. I didn't like it that much when i first got it, but I'm glad I decided to give it another chance - it's really fun! Yay for the union of Sid Meier and Will Wright!
Anna><> wrote:I know eh!
Although ironically if you were to get a mac you wouldn't be able to play RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 unless you were launching Windows Bootcamp, as RCT2 was only made for windows. ;)
I'm definitely not getting a mac then. I need my RCT!
I'm going to buy a cheap new PC... maybe. If I don't get a car instead.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

I'm definitely a PC. In fact I just "graduated" from a desktop to a laptop over the weekend. My family also recently got a Macbook with my dad's frequent flier miles to more or less replaced the family PC downstairs. But I like my PC a lot better.

Not to mention, Windows Vista isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Though I ought to invest in one of those "Vista for Dummies" books...

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:I'm definitely a PC. In fact I just "graduated" from a desktop to a laptop over the weekend. My family also recently got a Macbook with my dad's frequent flier miles to more or less replaced the family PC downstairs. But I like my PC a lot better.

Not to mention, Windows Vista isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Though I ought to invest in one of those "Vista for Dummies" books...

-Kim
Vista problems were waaay too exaggerated, honestly. I haven't had any issues with my PC since I got it. \:D/

*loves PCs* \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Pseudonym wrote:
Ingress Neverwhere wrote:I'm definitely a PC. In fact I just "graduated" from a desktop to a laptop over the weekend. My family also recently got a Macbook with my dad's frequent flier miles to more or less replaced the family PC downstairs. But I like my PC a lot better.

-Kim
Vista problems were waaay too exaggerated, honestly. I haven't had any issues with my PC since I got it. \:D/

*loves PCs* \:D/
My PC is sorta stupid and it doesn't play CD's that well... I think I deleted some files though... probably essential files in running CD's too... ](*,)
the sivart
Not as new

Post by the sivart »

PC is the kind of computer I have ever used!