Wooton

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What do you think of Wooton?

He is my very favorite character!
53%
He is okay.
36%
I think he is annoying.
9%
I have never heard of him.
2%

Total votes: 55

Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

What seems funny to me is that some people are saying Wooton is irresponsible and immature and some people are saying he is flawless. I don't see how those different conclusions can be reached. He is, in my opinion, definitely not portrayed as flawless, having lost his job in his first or second episode and all. Sure his motives may have been good and the people on his route may have prevailed upon his boss to have him rehired, but still he shirked his duties, and that probably qualifies as a flaw.

And actually I think it's not entirely true to say he never learns a lesson. I think that If you recount the experiences he has had in his "Odyssey" thus far, you will see he has been learning lessons even if they are not specifically noted in an episode or included as part of the main thrust of an episode. Maybe they should be. Maybe Wooton will face some more serious challenges in subsequent episodes.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I think people are simply trying to create an excuse to see more Wooton episodes. ;) They love him so much they just want to see more depth to his character.

Really... it's quite refreshing to hear all this Wooton bashing. It sure beats hearing only positive things about him. :noway:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Josef1004 wrote:What seems funny to me is that some people are saying Wooton is irresponsible and immature and some people are saying he is flawless. I don't see how those different conclusions can be reached. He is, in my opinion, definitely not portrayed as flawless, having lost his job in his first or second episode and all. Sure his motives may have been good and the people on his route may have prevailed upon his boss to have him rehired, but still he shirked his duties, and that probably qualifies as a flaw.
It should have been a flaw but who was the one apologizing in the end? The boss. Therefore we can't really conclude that Wooton was supposed to be wrong.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Really... it's quite refreshing to hear all this Wooton bashing. It sure beats hearing only positive things about him. :noway:
Wooton----> :chair: <---- Catspaw

:(
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Jess Harnell is a wonderful human being and a great actor... he just another character to play that isn't evil. \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Top Crusader wrote:Jess Harnell is a wonderful human being and a great actor... he just [needs] another character to play that isn't evil. \:D/
Already done. His name is Bennett Charles.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Jess Harnell is a wonderful human being and a great actor... he just [needs] another character to play that isn't evil. \:D/
Already done. His name is Bennett Charles.
And this whole time I thought Bennett Charles was evil! :shock:
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I know, but he's only a "special occasion" character, bring Bennett in as a regular to replace Wooton! \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:I know, but he's only a "special occasion" character, bring Bennett in as a regular to replace Wooton! \:D/
I'd definitely let my kids hang out with Bennett! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shawndlay wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:Really... it's quite refreshing to hear all this Wooton bashing. It sure beats hearing only positive things about him. :noway:
Wooton----> :chair: <---- Catspaw

:(
I love Wooton, so I am offended by this wrongful portrayal, Chandler. :x

Wooton took a little while to grow on me, but he's so much more than just goofy. He really does have Christian depth - he just doesn't show it all the time. ;) I have a friend who likes AIO and borrows albums from me, and her husband always resisted listening with her (obviously a poor choice in a life partner on her part :( ) but he will listen to any episode with Wooton in it! \:D/ As he said to me yesterday, "Wooton is the man." So obviously Wooton is awesome. \:D/
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The thing you have to admit about Wooton is that little kids love him. I seriously think, that without Wooton, many people would quit listening. Is that the best direction for the series to go? I'm not sure, but you have to admit that he's making the show more popular.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I don't know, it survived a pretty long time without Wooton...
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:I don't know, it survived a pretty long time without Wooton...
What he said.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Shawndlay wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:I don't know, it survived a pretty long time without Wooton...
What he said.
I didn't say it wouldn't survive. Only, that a lot of people would quit listening.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Wooton rocks. \:D/

I don't know if people would quit listening, but I'm sure it would disappoint a lot of people.
...I hate marquees.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

J-man wrote:I don't know if people would quit listening, but I'm sure it would disappoint a lot of people.
And other people would be relieved. :-k
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

And the largest amount of them wouldn't care either way, I bet! \:D/
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Shawndlay wrote:
What he said.
I didn't say it wouldn't survive. Only, that a lot of people would quit listening.
Well, I think most people would still listen to Odyssey even if they got rid of Whit, (and he was gone for a while at one point), so I doubt losing Wooton would have that much of an effect on popularity. Odyssey is a lot bigger than just one character, and I think the overwhelming majority of fans realize this.

Honestly, to me, Wooton is one of the "newer" characters. He's amusing at times, but I never really connected with him... I sort of feel the same way about the Washingtons. And as far as comedy goes, I prefer Eugene's wit over Wooton's goofiness.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Raskolnikov wrote:Honestly, to me, Wooton is one of the "newer" characters. He's amusing at times, but I never really connected with him... I sort of feel the same way about the Washingtons. And as far as comedy goes, I prefer Eugene's wit over Wooton's goofiness.
Huzzah and Wooton for Raskolnikov! Eugene is wittier than Wooton is goofy.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I like Wooton, but not enough for him to be up there with the "greats." His helping Connie through Mitch's death did help me like him more, though. In the past, I've told people that I like the episodes that show his caring side, but not necessarily his goofiness. However, that doesn't really annoy me anymore, and I'm rather liking that side of him too - especially since the live show and meeting Jess Harnell!
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

LizzieG wrote:I like Wooton, but not enough for him to be up there with the "greats." His helping Connie through Mitch's death did help me like him more, though. In the past, I've told people that I like the episodes that show his caring side, but not necessarily his goofiness. However, that doesn't really annoy me anymore, and I'm rather liking that side of him too - especially since the live show and meeting Jess Harnell!
Hmmm, that was actually one of the episodes that bothered me the most. We're supposed to cry with those who cry, yet Wooton was determined to make Connie laugh instead of letting her cry. That's an important part of the grief process. It's unhealthy to simply 'get our minds off of it' as Wooton was trying to help Connie do.

Of course it's a radio drama and not real, but his actions were the exact wrong thing to do with someone who has gone through something as traumatic as Mitch's supposed death was to Connie. It should have been followed with Chris warning: "And remember kids, don't try this at home."