Attention C.S. Lewis scholars I need your help!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Robo
A great mapmaker

Attention C.S. Lewis scholars I need your help!

Post by Robo »

Do any of you C.S. Lewis scholars out there know where the C.S. Lewis quote that goes something like, 'We do not need more people writing Christian books, what we need is more Christians writing good books.' comes from? I'm writing a paper that I need to use it in but I need to know the source. I've tried looking for books/essays it may be from but I can't find it. Thanks for the help, guys.

-Robert
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've seen that quote before, but I'm not sure of the source either. To my knowledge, it seems he didn't actually write it in any of his books. Perhaps it was a verbal quote?

Or I could be completely wrong.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah, a quick Google search suggests it was something he said. Can't you just accredit it to CS Lewis without saying a book that it's from? :-k
...I hate marquees.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I'm pretty positive it was just a personal quote of his, and not something penned in one of his literary masterpieces.

-cough-

What J-man said?
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I could only find one site that alluded to the fact that the quote might have come from a book and chances are, they just got it wrong:

http://www.christian-gamers-guild.org/c ... ga013.html

The overwhelming majority of results point to it being a statement, though I suppose there might be a chance that it came from a letter?
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Yeah, I heard somewhere it was from a letter...
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

The quote you may be looking for is, "We must attack the enemy's line of communication. What we want is not more little books on Christianity, but more little books by Christians on other subjects - with their Christianity latent." It's from the essay entitled "Christian Apologetics" in God in the Dock. It's not quite the same as what you said, but that's the only one I know of on that subject.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!