Lack of respect for our leaders!

Barack Obama, specifically.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I definitely do not support our president, or agree with a whole lot of what he's doing, but I still respect him in as much as he is the president.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I agree with you, love.like.rain. I've noticed the same thing and to be honest, I hate it. I don't agree with what our president stands for but all the same, he is our leader and we biblically have to respect him.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Rom 13:1 wrote:Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Personally I believe that respect for leadership is required by the Bible. That does not, however, mean we should not have a healthy mistrust of human nature. Man is fallible, and as long as man is running the government, it will make mistakes. Depending on how much of an influence the common people lets Satan have on them, those mistakes can be pretty bad, especially for God's true people. Just look at the Middle Ages, France, Russia, China, and countless other occurrences.

That does not, however, make it right to make fun of a president.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

love.like.rain wrote:I've been greatly bothered by the lack of respect for our president lately. In schools, online, and even in church I have found people treating Barack Obama with huge amounts of disrespect! It disgusts me. My parents have raised me to respect others, and especially our leaders. I'm not saying we need to agree with his values, share his beliefs, or even like him. All I'm saying is that he is our country's leader and that we need to show a little more respect for him and the position he holds. Do you agree? Disagree?
I don't feel like I see a lot of disrespect for him...I see a lot of groundless adoration actually.

What do you mean by disrespect? Because questioning someone's decisions and policies is not disrespectful. Name calling, etc is.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
I don't feel like I see a lot of disrespect for him...I see a lot of groundless adoration actually.
This, basically.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Raskolnikov wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
This, basically.
Meaning you agree?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
love.like.rain wrote:I've been greatly bothered by the lack of respect for our president lately. In schools, online, and even in church I have found people treating Barack Obama with huge amounts of disrespect! It disgusts me. My parents have raised me to respect others, and especially our leaders. I'm not saying we need to agree with his values, share his beliefs, or even like him. All I'm saying is that he is our country's leader and that we need to show a little more respect for him and the position he holds. Do you agree? Disagree?

What do you mean by disrespect? Because questioning someone's decisions and policies is not disrespectful. Name calling, etc is.
Yeah, I agree. Calling him stupid or something would be disrespectful as well as unhelpful, but I do think he is too inexperienced to be the President of the United States.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Raskolnikov wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
This, basically.
Meaning you agree?
Meaning I agree.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

In theory I agree with you...but I do have a lot of fun making fun of President Obama. :anxious:
The good ol' ToO.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

InHisArms wrote:In theory I agree with you...but I do have a lot of fun making fun of President Obama. :anxious:
And this is where I say "still lack of respect"... Making of fun of anyone is not nice. Put-downs, regardless of how they are said or in what manner, are still put-downs, and whether the person hears them or not, it's going behind their back, and extremely unfair for the person.

Obama is the President of the United States. He won over just a few more people than McCain/Palin did, and he won. If you can't accept that.. that would be your own choice. But the reason for the thread is to say that there has been little respect for the President of the United States. Because I am more surrounded by those who wanted Obama in office, I don't experience that as much myself (apart from a few teachers and the possible relative), but I do kinda get the feeling of disrespect on here...

Being Christian's would signify we give respect to all, regardless of color of skin, religion, race, basically everything about a person. God calls us to tell others about him, about Jesus' sacrifice. And we sit here more or less putting down "our" (I use this lightly cause not everyone is apart of the USA) own President, who God allowed into office. God had a reason for Hitler to take over. God has a reason why Obama is in office.

Would this topic have come up had McCain been in office? (doubtful...)

As from what I've seen so far, President Obama hasn't done so bad of a job. It's only been a little more than 100 days...

Blah... I hoped that made sense...
love.like.rain
Found

Post by love.like.rain »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
InHisArms wrote:In theory I agree with you...but I do have a lot of fun making fun of President Obama. :anxious:
And this is where I say "still lack of respect"... Making of fun of anyone is not nice. Put-downs, regardless of how they are said or in what manner, are still put-downs, and whether the person hears them or not, it's going behind their back, and extremely unfair for the person.

Obama is the President of the United States. He won over just a few more people than McCain/Palin did, and he won. If you can't accept that.. that would be your own choice. But the reason for the thread is to say that there has been little respect for the President of the United States. Because I am more surrounded by those who wanted Obama in office, I don't experience that as much myself (apart from a few teachers and the possible relative), but I do kinda get the feeling of disrespect on here...

Being Christian's would signify we give respect to all, regardless of color of skin, religion, race, basically everything about a person. God calls us to tell others about him, about Jesus' sacrifice. And we sit here more or less putting down "our" (I use this lightly cause not everyone is apart of the USA) own President, who God allowed into office. God had a reason for Hitler to take over. God has a reason why Obama is in office.

Would this topic have come up had McCain been in office? (doubtful...)

As from what I've seen so far, President Obama hasn't done so bad of a job. It's only been a little more than 100 days...

Blah... I hoped that made sense...
=D> YAY! This is exactly what I wanted to say! I don't really support him, either, but this has been bothering me SO MUCH lately! Glad to know there are others out here who feel the same way!
"Love like rain fall down, love like arms surround. Hold the universe in place, hold my heart in your embrace." -Daniel Doss Band, Love Like Rain

In memory of B. Blackwell. You are loved and missed.
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

J-man wrote:It's sometimes hard to respect someone who seems to go against everything you believe in.

That being said, I realize he is our leader, which demands a certain amount of respect. Being respectful doesn't take away my right to be critical of what he's doing. Respectful disagreement, eh?
I agree with J-man that it is challenging to respect someone that makes obvious moral choices that go against Biblical principles that I believe in. I am not saying that there should be a lack of respect, just that it is tougher to keep that respect when I disagree with our leader. I would not consider it disrespectful to disagree with his actions. The disrepsect comes when that disagreement is communicated to others through insutls and derrogatory comments. I know I have to keep my testimony to non-believers in mind when talking about our countries leaders.

I have been studying the book of Daniel, and he is a perfect example of someone who demonstrated integrity amongst some really shady leaders. The first 6 chapters show God's sovereignty in appointing pagan world leaders as kings that played major parts in our world's history. It has made me realize even more that God is still in control amidst my inner struggle with President Obama's decisions for our country. O:)
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I agree! \:D/
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Danielle, rain, etc.

I have yet to see widespread disrespect for Obama. I am sure there has been some, but it has not been a way of life for conservatives. Those who have, have been in the minority.

Consider then the treatment Bush got.

Until conservatives start dishing out the same treatment for Obama, your complaint isn't something I'll be taking seriously.

Oh, and J-man is completely correct.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

I'm not sure if he's eligible to be the president or not (the natural/native born discussion). Whether he is or not, I do not consider him my leader. I do not agree with him, therefore he does not direct or guide me. As to respect, I cannot esteem or honor him. I believe it would be blasphemy if I was to do so. I will not degrade him in any way as that would not be honoring to God, nor would it reflect my Lord. I, myself, am tired of the name-calling and belittling as well. I will also state the truth and point others to the truth as I am able.

May God get the glory through it all.
Love is stronger than death.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

PJ wrote:I'm not sure if he's eligible to be the president or not (the natural/native born discussion). Whether he is or not, I do not consider him my leader. I do not agree with him, therefore he does not direct or guide me. As to respect, I cannot esteem or honor him. I believe it would be blasphemy if I was to do so. I will not degrade him in any way as that would not be honoring to God, nor would it reflect my Lord. I, myself, am tired of the name-calling and belittling as well. I will also state the truth and point others to the truth as I am able.

Whether you consider him your leader or not, doesn't change the truth. He IS your leader. I don't agree with him at all, and I must admit I poke fun at him on occasion, but either way you can't deny the fact that he is your God ordained leader, be it for good or evil.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by PJ »

Ziff wrote:
PJ wrote:I'm not sure if he's eligible to be the president or not (the natural/native born discussion). Whether he is or not, I do not consider him my leader. I do not agree with him, therefore he does not direct or guide me. As to respect, I cannot esteem or honor him. I believe it would be blasphemy if I was to do so. I will not degrade him in any way as that would not be honoring to God, nor would it reflect my Lord. I, myself, am tired of the name-calling and belittling as well. I will also state the truth and point others to the truth as I am able.

Whether you consider him your leader or not, doesn't change the truth. He IS your leader. I don't agree with him at all, and I must admit I poke fun at him on occasion, but either way you can't deny the fact that he is your God ordained leader, be it for good or evil.
He is not my leader. He "may" be the president, but he's not my leader. That is the truth and it will never change.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

PJ wrote:
Ziff wrote:

He is not my leader. He "may" be the president, but he's not my leader. That is the truth and it will never change.
I think anyone who has some authority over you can be defined as your "leader."
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Johnny
Local Conspiracy theorist
Local Conspiracy theorist

Post by Johnny »

Trust me if you pay taxes, follow the rules of the U.S.A. or live in America he's your leader.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by PJ »

No need to get bent out of shape. I have my opinion and you have yours.

I believe a leader is someone who guides or directs us. Someone who shows us the way. Barack Obama is not my leader. I do not follow him or agree with what he stands for. He may be the president, but he's not my leader.