Death

and how FOTF/AIO portrays it

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Death

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

31899 wrote:Does it make you angry that not a lot of people die in AIO?

This was brought up in the "Questions for Catspaw" thread.

I hope 31899 doesn't mind, cause I wanted to touch on that a little.

What do you think about FOTF not really talking about death all that much? We all know AIO is a kids show, but death is still real. It is still something that can affect anyone everywhere. They've touched on divorce and orphans. But what about death?

It seems the only time they touched on it was way back in the early beginnings of the show. Since there, there hasn't been much talk or even examples of death. After the Mortal Coil, they kinda strayed from death all together.

Do you think they are trying to avoid the scariness of death, or are they trying to show that death doesn't affect anyone? That it isn't real?

Yeah, we shouldn't be afraid of it, but what about when it happens? AIO always has good lessons. What about dealing with grief? It seems they don't want to touch on it.

What are your views, listeners? I'm curious to find out what you think.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I disagree. They've had plenty of episodes about death; Karen, Mortal Coil, The Final Conflict, Armetage Shanks (whenever that was in NovaComm). They've had more episodes on it than a lot of things. While it could probably use another episode or two, there are plenty of "deserving themes".
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

*agrees with KBT* :yes: How many death shows do we need? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'll have to disagree, too. Odyssey has had more than its fair share of episodes dealing with death - none more poignant than Karen and Where Is Thy Sting? Just because they haven't had a recent episode about death doesn't mean they need to address it again and again.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:They've touched on divorce and orphans. But what about death?
There have actually been more episodes on death than on either of those two topics.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"Yes, but... an adventure about... death?"
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

They've had dozens of episodes on divorce: the recent story arc with Mandy's parents, the various episodes with Connie, Whit's grandkids, Grady's absent father, and so on and so forth.

My full opinion has been given and discussed elsewhere, but I do think AIO can safely deal with death again without being too repetitive. 2-3 episodes, the last being 14 years ago, is hardly that many considered the 665+ episodes that have been produced.

The fact is that death is probably one of the biggest crises a child (or anyone) could face. I think Tom Riley would be an excellent time to deal with the subject again in a sensitive way.

While I'm not 'angry' that AIO hasn't had any major characters die, I think it's a missed opportunity.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Gandalf wrote: The fact is that death is probably one of the biggest crises a child (or anyone) could face. I think Tom Riley would be an excellent time to deal with the subject again in a sensitive way.

While I'm not 'angry' that AIO hasn't had any major characters die, I think it's a missed opportunity.
I agree. I can almost picture it, too (if one can really "picture" an episode of a radio program :D): Whit, Bernard, Connie and Eugene, maybe Mandy or a couple of the other kids sitting around a table at Whit's End after Tom's memorial service, sharing stories about him. Almost similar to the tribute to Walker that was on album 50.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I believe they have had enough shows on death, but maybe you're feeling this way because there really hasn't been any recent shows on death (correct me if I'm wrong). I think Tom said enough when he talked about death in the Mortal Coil with Whit, very powerful lines in those episodes. :-k
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I agree, they've had a number of shows on death. But I also am a big fan of the idea of another death episode for Tom.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm always a fan of another death episode. Death episodes are always awesome. \:D/

Tom Riley is of course presenting us with a good opportunity.

Or they could have an episode where someone reads that Jack Allen died on wikipedia but he really is still alive! \:D/
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

The Justicehammer wrote:I'm always a fan of another death episode. Death episodes are always awesome. \:D/

Tom Riley is of course presenting us with a good opportunity.

Or they could have an episode where someone reads that Jack Allen died on wikipedia but he really is still alive! \:D/
I agree with all of that. \:D/

I don't think there have been "too many" episodes on death. I DO, however, think there have been "too many" weird, comedic episodes that don't teach anything at all.

Maybe I'm just becoming too old for it? ;)
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The AIO team needs to write an episode about discernment of online encyclopedias...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

KODY 105 wrote:The AIO team needs to write an episode about discernment of online encyclopedias...
:hilarious:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

KODY 105 wrote:The AIO team needs to write an episode about discernment of online encyclopedias...
...and have a wiki to write the script!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
...and have a wiki to write the script!
Totally! I'm down with that!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I think I agree with most of the responses to this thread. Adventures in Odyssey is a kid's show and doesn't need too many episodes about heavy topics. They have had a few very good episodes about death, but in reality they could do another. I think they could make a spectacular episode about saying good-bye to Tom.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

If they do a show about death, it can't be too much of a downer or no one is going to quickly listen (split infinitive! \:D/) to it again after hearing it the first time...
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I think there's enough shows about death as it is (though some aspects of them I disagree with personally), but if AIO wanted to do another one to kill off another character ( :badgrin: ) I think it would be okay. However, this show is definately not death-deprived. :noway:

Plus, when you consider how other topics are only designated one or two episodes, AIO has done a fairly thorough job in covering the topic. People dying young, people dying old, people dying without Christ, people dying as the result of sin, God working through death, I don't think that they're missing anything important. :-k
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Child abduction and murder? That'll teach kids not to go over to ... people's houses. :anxious:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Shawndlay wrote:Child abduction and murder? That'll teach kids not to go over to ... people's houses. :anxious:
I was never thinking that graphic! Wonderful thinking there Shawndlay... sorry, lol...