My big idea

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What do you think of this idea?

It's super!
55%
It's alright.
27%
Your brain is missing in action, but your heart's in the right place.
18%
I don't think it's biblical.
No votes
It's unrealistic.
No votes
It's already been done.
No votes

Total votes: 11

King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

My big idea

Post by King Butter Turtle »

So, I've had this idea in my head for years and have decided to finally share it with you.

Imagine the average Adventures in Odyssey fan. You're probably thinking of a roughly 12 year old, white, American, (maybe Canadian) upper middle class christian. Possibly homeschooled, perhaps goes to a private school, they probably come from a functional American family, speak english and, well... are much like you, right?

Focus on the Family has always focused on (in addition to the family ;) ) using AIO to re-establish christian principles to kids (and adults) in homes like these. That's totally fine, FOTF is a ministry that serves christians, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a great ministry that's impacted all of our lives and many more. But, when I listen to a salvation episode like Connie I&II, The Time has Come, The Imagination Station Revisited I&II, etc. I always think, "Why isn't this used to minister to unreached people?" It makes sence, Adventures in Odyssey would be a great way to reach young people (and adults) around the world. What a great tool to use to spread the love of Jesus Christ.

So, here's my idea: we set up a non-profit (perhaps Focus would consider taking it on as a part of their work, or we, as fans, just start it up, whatever) that buys Adventures in Odyssey albums (and CD players) at a preferrably reduced rate from the distributer and ships/sends them to/with short and long term missionaries throughout the world. We could reach people with Odyssey sort of like Gideon does, we could put them in homeless shelters, after school programs, juvenile delinquent centers, orphanages, etc. throughout the english (and now spanish and manderin chinese) speaking world in order to bring glory to God and further his kingdom.

So, what do you think? Achievable? Un-achievable? Already been done? Just plain stupid? Should be altered? I'm just looking for basic ideas here. While pondering this, I wondered "how does one go about taking action on a thing like this? how do I get started?" I decided the best way would be to just start a thread in Whit's End. So, I'm not really even planning on doing this, I'm just wondering what people think of the idea and why it hasn't been done in the past?

Thanks,
KBT :D
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I think that on paper, it's a good idea. I think that the important thing to do is to get a core group of strong supporters and a leader who knows who talk to and what to do etc... That might be the difficult part though...
I do what I do.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sounds like a very noble idea! I'm just wondering what you mean when you refer to the "unreached." Are you talking about third-world countries or just non-believers in general? If you're referring to the latter, then I'd say Odyssey is being used to minister to the unreached. If you're asking why it's not being distributed globally, it's obviously because of the language barrier for all non-English speaking countries. Your idea did remind me how Odyssey is currently being translated into Mandarin and Spanish, which is an amazing feat in and of itself! I don't know if it makes sense to set up a non-profit organization if you're simply going to turn around and give them away - non-profit organizations still make money. ;) But why not give away your own albums? Or perhaps buy one album and donate it to a local community centre, homeless shelter, etc. That'd be a great way of ministering to others while spreading the awesomeness of Odyssey. \:D/
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

I actually think it would be awesome to build an actual "Whit's End" somewhere...well, at least something similar anyway. Yeah, I know they already have one at Focus on the Family ;) , but I think it would be neat to build one in a poorer/bad part of a city and have it be a place where kids who have no place to go after school could come and hang out, in addition to hopefully providing at least a couple of jobs in that area and, more importantly, an opportunity to build disciples in the neighborhood. It wouldn't even have to be called Whit's End or be advertised as having anything to do with AIO (though most likely there would be some acknowledgement of where the idea came from, whether it be written on the wall somewhere or having the story of the idea on the back of the menus...and of course, the library would have a collection of AIO albums ;) ), just having someplace like that where kids can come to see the love of Christ and have something better to do than cause trouble while parent(s) are working could make a difference in the neighborhood.

That idea's been in my head for awhile now though...who knows if I will ever have the opportunity to bring it to fruitation. :anxious:
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Homeward bound wrote:I actually think it would be awesome to build an actual "Whit's End" somewhere...well, at least something similar anyway. Yeah, I know they already have one at Focus on the Family ;) , but I think it would be neat to build one in a poorer/bad part of a city and have it be a place where kids who have no place to go after school could come and hang out, in addition to hopefully providing at least a couple of jobs in that area and, more importantly, an opportunity to build disciples in the neighborhood. It wouldn't even have to be called Whit's End or be advertised as having anything to do with AIO (though most likely there would be some acknowledgement of where the idea came from, whether it be written on the wall somewhere or having the story of the idea on the back of the menus...and of course, the library would have a collection of AIO albums ;) ), just having someplace like that where kids can come to see the love of Christ and have something better to do than cause trouble while parent(s) are working could make a difference in the neighborhood.
Just like Whit's End Connellsville! \:D/

Any ideas, individual or corporate, of expanding Odyssey (and, through it, the Gospel), will always have my full-fledged support. I second what Trent said... I haven't used AIO as a witnessing tool before, but it's a great idea to keep in mind.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Homeward bound wrote:I actually think it would be awesome to build an actual "Whit's End" somewhere...well, at least something similar anyway. Yeah, I know they already have one at Focus on the Family ;) , but I think it would be neat to build one in a poorer/bad part of a city and have it be a place where kids who have no place to go after school could come and hang out, in addition to hopefully providing at least a couple of jobs in that area and, more importantly, an opportunity to build disciples in the neighborhood. It wouldn't even have to be called Whit's End or be advertised as having anything to do with AIO (though most likely there would be some acknowledgement of where the idea came from, whether it be written on the wall somewhere or having the story of the idea on the back of the menus...and of course, the library would have a collection of AIO albums ;) ), just having someplace like that where kids can come to see the love of Christ and have something better to do than cause trouble while parent(s) are working could make a difference in the neighborhood.

That idea's been in my head for awhile now though...who knows if I will ever have the opportunity to bring it to fruitation. :anxious:
I've actually thought about that in the past too. The thing is, you have to remember that it's not going to be exactly like Whit's End. It's obviously written for the point of entertainment, so it's idealistic. You're not just going to have regulars wander in at the perfect moment and perfect storylines unfold and teach valuable lessons. ;) But, it is an excellent idea. :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Homeward bound wrote:...but I think it would be neat to build one in a poorer/bad part of a city and have it be a place where kids who have no place to go after school could come and hang out...
Oswald Heights? :anxious:
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Bible Eyewitness albums are good for this type of thing.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I think it is a great idea.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

KBT, I love your enthusiasm. Your desire to reach non-believers through AIO is encouraging! Not sure about starting up a non-profit, I think this would work better on a grassroots level. Trent gave some great ideas for starting out at the individual level.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I work with The Salvation Army and we have a community center in my town. It's not exactly "Whit's End" but it fits this description in that it:
1) is in a poorer section of town
2) is a place for kids to go after school and during the day in the summer
3) provides jobs
4) works with various programs to enrich the lives of kids who would otherwise be lost in the system (Youth Empowered by Sports, Just Say No to Drugs, Helping Others Prosper through Education)
5) has educational video games
6) is a place where kids love to hang out
7) has a director who loves the kids
8) is directly connected with a church (literally, a church runs the center and it meets on Sundays in the same building)
9) is designed to bring people to Christ
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

...or what about an actual Isrealites?
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

KBT Bigidea= I ythink its a great idea and a good effort and it would be reat if the Odyssey people would start doing this.

HB=I think it would be a wonderfull idea to have a real Whitsend and I would love to be a part of it it coul be really great just keep thinking about it.

KBT Isrealites=With doing an Isrealtes nowadays I think it would be hard and you would probably get in trouble for painting someones fence or doing yardwork without permission though I think its a good idea.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Mr.Whit wrote:KBT Isrealites=With doing an Isrealtes nowadays I think it would be hard and you would probably get in trouble for painting someones fence or doing yardwork without permission though I think its a good idea.
I concur. With lawsuits abounding for unwanted good works, an Israelites group seems unfeasible nowadays.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: