Canada's Political Upheaval

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Canada's Political Upheaval

Post by Amethystic »

Anyone have anything to say about the possible coalition government? Personally, I hope that the governor general decides to call an election.

Seriously, how are three totally different parties, one focused on seperatism, supposed to funtion as one government?

Plus, Dion in charge? The man was going to resign, but now that he has a chance of controlling the country again he's hopping back up to the challenge?

Almost no one is happy about the coalition government; we just voted in the Conservatives, and now the other parties want to butt in and cheat the democrasy system! It's like a small child whining for a rematch on a game because they didn't win the first time, and then cheating to get what they want!

I know that most of the ToO doesn't give a hoot about Canadian politics, but this is HUGE. We need everyone praying and everyone doing what they can. Sign an online petition, talk to people about it, make a statement!

So, what is your take on the situation? That was mine, basically.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It isn't actually cheating the democracy system, because it's entirely legal and the kind of thing that Stephen Harper actually supported back in 2004 when it would have been beneficial for him instead of his opponents. I don't want the coalition to succeed, but calling it cheating the system is the kind of argument that doesn't work, since it is untrue.

I don't know how long the coalition will last - how long can the NDP, the Liberals, and especially the Bloc Quebecois stick together? But what they are doing is allowed - we vote for representatives, not a prime minister, and if the majority of those representatives act in what they see as the country's best interests, then it is perfectly legitimate. That's the point of having the possibility of a minority government - to try to balance out the power.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, I have no idea what is going in on Canadian politics, but I do know that politics usually end up being played by the wrong people. I will be praying for you Canadians.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, nobody cares about Canadian politics except Canadians...and even we don't care half the time. ;) However, if somebody is interested, click here to read an article that provides some information about what's going on. Basically there are 4 major political parties in Canada (i.e. that have members that were voted to represent their part of Canada by the people in that riding) and one of them, the Conservatives, have a minority government, and the other three parties have formed a coalition in an attempt to topple the minority government. Depending on your opinion, it's either a great idea or the most despicable thing in the world, or somewhere inbetween. ;)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I'm on the side saying that it's despicable. We want who we voted in, not a bunch of people who think they know what's best.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You're know the opposition is desperate when they're willing to side with separatists in order to overthrow the Conservative government. It's certainly not a very pretty move and it's one I don't support. I realize it's within their legal rights to form a coalition, but I can also appreciate where Amethystic is coming from. Why bother voting if the people we elect can just as easily be kicked out? Still... it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here's the problem with the Liberal party. Harper called Dion's bluff by dissolving parliament back over the summer. Dion really wanted to have a vote of no confidence and have the last election on his terms with his results i.e. him as the Prime minister. That didn't happen, so now this coalition idea is just another way for Dion and the Liberals to get into power.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Cool, I wasn't aware we had given our state of Canada their own seperate government! \:D/
Amethystic wrote: Sign an online petition,
Or not, those are worthless. :boohoo:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I must concur. Online petitions could be signed all by the same one bot.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

State of Canada? Wait, are you from Quebec? :-s

Anyway, signing a petition couldn't hurt, whether it turned out useless or not.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Amethystic wrote:State of Canada? Wait, are you from Quebec? :-s

Top is simply a guy with a sense of humour that spills over everything sometimes, like an orange drink on a white carpet. ;) There's no need to be too accusatory. And we do have a couple members from Quebec, though there aren't any that I am aware of that have been on recently. Surprisingly enough, people from Quebec are human beings too, and like all members of the ToO (not to mention the human race), a respectful approach is a good way to treat others.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Catspaw wrote:

Top is simply a guy with a sense of humour that spills over everything sometimes, like an orange drink on a white carpet. ;) There's no need to be too accusatory. And we do have a couple members from Quebec, though there aren't any that I am aware of that have been on recently. Surprisingly enough, people from Quebec are human beings too, and like all members of the ToO (not to mention the human race), a respectful approach is a good way to treat others.
I wasn't being accusatory, I just didn't realize. Besides, I only bug Pseudodude about being from Quebec, and in return he calls me a silly Albertan. :- No biggie.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Catspaw wrote: Surprisingly enough, people from Quebec are human beings too
No, actually that's just a rumour. There is no proof of that at all.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Pseudonym wrote:
Catspaw wrote: Surprisingly enough, people from Quebec are human beings too
No, actually that's just a rumour. There is no proof of that at all.
Besides, non-humans rock!

None of my friends are human...anymore.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*chuckles*
Catspaw wrote:Top is simply a guy with a sense of humour that spills over everything sometimes, like an orange drink on a white carpet. ;)
*moves on to laughing*
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

*cough* Anyway... our political situation?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Amethystic wrote:*cough* Anyway... our political situation?
Not as bad as Thailand's.