The Future of Adventures in Odyssey

Some clarification...

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

StrongNChrist wrote:didn't the character grow up, 'cause he was around when Jimmy was and Jimmy's an adult now.... :?
Apply that reasoning to Connie, also. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

American Eagle wrote:
StrongNChrist wrote:didn't the character grow up, 'cause he was around when Jimmy was and Jimmy's an adult now.... :?
Apply that reasoning to Connie, also. \:D/
good point.........
and here's another thing. I did a little math. How old is Eugene? I thought he was in his early 20s or something but with a little math I figured he should be over 27.....
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Ya, there are many problems with time in Odyssey. My favorite explanation is Amethystic's time by christmases, but it still has it's problems. Rodney also hung out with Grady who's now 11.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I forgot about that one.
what explanation was that?? (I didn't read the whole thread. to lazy :D )
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

KristopherWindsor wrote:
Amethystic wrote:And KBT, I fail to see what is so hard about being an above target range fan.
To me, the story now seems less real, and some of the drama (IE Eugene's dad) seems a bit fake.
Also, comparing your problems to kid's problems make your life seem even harder. :P :)
i totally agree with the "fake" comment. something is wrong with how these stories are being told and my wife and i can't quite put our finger on it.

i don't know if the writers are not trying to repeat themselves by telling the stories differently, but if it wasn't broke, why try to fix it?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Well some people think that the newer ones are better. Besides, what if it never changed at all? What if it was just like the Family Portrait episodes? Boooring.
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Jasper Dale wrote:
KristopherWindsor wrote:To me, the story now seems less real, and some of the drama (IE Eugene's dad) seems a bit fake.
i totally agree with the "fake" comment. something is wrong with how these stories are being told and my wife and i can't quite put our finger on it.
For one thing, when the writers focus more on humor than on the drama / storyline, you can expect the storyline to be weaker.

As for specific parts of the story... Wooton and Lester aren't really believable characters, and the odds of Eugene's dad being found were way too slim based on the hints from earlier stories. He should have been lost in Africa permanently. ;)

Also, does it seem like more adults are coming into the story? Now we have Wooton, Lester, Eugene's dad, Mitch (who may be < 18 but I doubt it), Mr. Washington, Mrs. Rathbone (who seems to be in more stories than Rodney, nowadays), Eugene (grown up), Katrina, Jason, a bunch of people from Novacom (IE Arthur Dent), and some more I'm sure.
In the past adults were mainly parents, where the kids had bigger roles in the story, or were expendable (only in a couple episodes).
Maybe the unbelievability is less noticeable with kids in the storyline. :p
:)
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

As far as characters go, I tend to think that Wooton is a believable character. I realize that he is a silly and goofy character, but he is still has a side of seriousness and responsibility. Lester, Mitch, and Dent aren't reoccuring characters Even Mrs. Rathbone doesn't show up very much so I wouldn't really say that they have a plethora of adult characters in opposition to kid characters. I really don't think the storylines are all that "unbelievable." I think I have more emotional attachments to the older albums so I enjoy them more, but these newer albums have been growing on me a little bit.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I want to be like Wooton when I grow up. :D
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Amethystic wrote:Well some people think that the newer ones are better. Besides, what if it never changed at all? What if it was just like the Family Portrait episodes? Boooring.
In my opinion, I'd rather listen to Family Portraits than a newer episode.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

KristopherWindsor wrote:
Jasper Dale wrote:
KristopherWindsor wrote:To me, the story now seems less real, and some of the drama (IE Eugene's dad) seems a bit fake.
For one thing, when the writers focus more on humor than on the drama / storyline, you can expect the storyline to be weaker.

As for specific parts of the story... Wooton and Lester aren't really believable characters, and the odds of Eugene's dad being found were way too slim based on the hints from earlier stories. He should have been lost in Africa permanently. ;)

Also, does it seem like more adults are coming into the story? Now we have Wooton, Lester, Eugene's dad, Mitch (who may be < 18 but I doubt it), Mr. Washington, Mrs. Rathbone (who seems to be in more stories than Rodney, nowadays), Eugene (grown up), Katrina, Jason, a bunch of people from Novacom (IE Arthur Dent), and some more I'm sure.
In the past adults were mainly parents, where the kids had bigger roles in the story, or were expendable (only in a couple episodes).
Maybe the unbelievability is less noticeable with kids in the storyline. :p
I do agree with that for the really new ones, like 46-50. But, I don't really think that NovaCom had a problem with this sort of thing.
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

maybe it is a good thing that the writers are taking a break from the show and going off by themselves to think of new ideas and directions the show should take.

i think that the show has a great team of writers, but no matter how great a team you have, if you don't take a "time out" every once and a while, you "will" tend to have writers burnout.

and, truly Odyssey is one of those shows where you don't want new writers coming in who have no clue as to the mythology of the series.

that's why i was so glad when they hired someone like Hoobler. they need to find people who "love" Odyssey. there is something special about the show and i think whenever the writers go a bit off track, those of us who have been with the show for so long "feel" the difference.

let's hope that when the writers come back, there will be some great "good" twists and turns!

O:)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Jasper Dale wrote:maybe it is a good thing that the writers are taking a break from the show and going off by themselves to think of new ideas and directions the show should take.

i think that the show has a great team of writers, but no matter how great a team you have, if you don't take a "time out" every once and a while, you "will" tend to have writers burnout.

and, truly Odyssey is one of those shows where you don't want new writers coming in who have no clue as to the mythology of the series.

that's why i was so glad when they hired someone like Hoobler. they need to find people who "love" Odyssey. there is something special about the show and i think whenever the writers go a bit off track, those of us who have been with the show for so long "feel" the difference.

let's hope that when the writers come back, there will be some great "good" twists and turns!

Quoted for agreement. (although, I'm not sure mythology was the word you were looking for :-k )
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Jasper Dale wrote:maybe it is a good thing that the writers are taking a break from the show and going off by themselves to think of new ideas and directions the show should take.

Quoted for agreement. (although, I'm not sure mythology was the word you were looking for :-k )
I think 'history' would be a better word, because if you slip up on even tiny AIO fact, all of us hard-cores are going to notice. :shame: Those poor writers must have to do a lot of research...
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

It's "mythology" because Odyssey isn't real, and I didn't know the writers were on vacation, but that explains it. :)
:)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

But myths are stuff like "Santa the Magic Tooth Bunny" and all that fluff.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

KristopherWindsor wrote:It's "mythology" because Odyssey isn't real
You better take that back! :x

;)
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

Agent3xq wrote:
KristopherWindsor wrote:It's "mythology" because Odyssey isn't real
You better take that back! :x

;)
it isn't? can you tell me the address of Whit's End? i'd love to take a trip in the Imagination Station! i just hope there are no vials of "rukku" lying around anywhere.....

:-

ah, wouldn't it be great if we all had a "whit's end" in our home town?

O:) O:)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Whit would be making raspberry ripple for me all the time (that stuff is delicious *nods*)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'd have a daily WodFamChocSod habit. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon