The Truth Chronicles - Out Now Only from Focus on the Family

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Boswell
Classic

The Truth Chronicles - Out Now Only from Focus on the Family

Post by Boswell »

This is a weird one. I've been searching on Amazon for weeks waiting for it to appear, since I knew from the kind folks at Focus in Colorado that it was being released in September. Nothing.

I went to Focus's website today, and lo and behold, it was available to order! There was a note at the bottom saying that it would be a Focus on the Family exclusive until mid-2009.

This means that if you've gotta hear these 11 episodes right now, you can! Ordering it from Focus gets it to you almost a year before any Christian bookstore or online retailer like Amazon or Christian Books will get it!

It was certainly a silent and unnoticed release, but now that you know...GO FOR IT!
Last edited by Boswell on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I don't know much about it, are the ones besides Kidsboro new ones? I don't know.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Thanks for the heads-up, Boswell! I caught this a couple weeks ago and was shocked.

I'll probably pick up it alongside a couple Odyssey albums in order to get the free shipping... you can't beat FOTF Canada's $17.50 per album pricetag. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

American Eagle wrote:I don't know much about it, are the ones besides Kidsboro new ones? I don't know.
The ones besides Kidsboro are all unique to this album. They weren't aired on the radio, and they won't be included in any other album!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Boswell wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I don't know much about it, are the ones besides Kidsboro new ones? I don't know.
The ones besides Kidsboro are all unique to this album. They weren't aired on the radio, and they won't be included in any other album!
I didn't know that. Thanks!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Just so everyone who is wanting this album is aware: Focus does have the album in stock. I ordered mine on 9-5-08 and received it in the mail today. Now it being almost a week later I don't know what FOTF's inventory is, so if you want it your best bet would be Focus. Yes, I know I don't often say that!!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Laurie wrote:Just so everyone who is wanting this album is aware: Focus does have the album in stock. I ordered mine on 9-5-08 and received it in the mail today. Now it being almost a week later I don't know what FOTF's inventory is, so if you want it your best bet would be Focus, and yes I don't often say that!! :D
I just wish I'd known about it before. I could be listening to it right now! :( I don't know why I thought to look there: I've never bought anything from Focus before.

Also, it's available ONLY from Focus, so they're not only your best bet, they're your only bet. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Boswell wrote:
Laurie wrote:Just so everyone who is wanting this album is aware: Focus does have the album in stock. I ordered mine on 9-5-08 and received it in the mail today. Now it being almost a week later I don't know what FOTF's inventory is, so if you want it your best bet would be Focus, and yes I don't often say that!! :D
I just wish I'd known about it before. I could be listening to it right now! :( I don't know why I thought to look there: I've never bought anything from Focus before.

Also, it's available ONLY from Focus, so they're not only your best bet, they're your only bet. ;)
I did not know that this album was a Focus exclusive when I ordered mine last week. I don't remember if the notice that you saw was posted when I ordered mine or not. I'm very glad I ordered it now seeing as how it won't be in stores until next year. Not having seen the notice I had been trying to find it in the Christian bookstores and had not had any luck, so I just decided to order it figuring that it would be on backorder for a few months. Boy, was I surprised when I pulled the mailer out of my mailbox this afternoon!!! :D

EDIT:
I just now remembered why I did not see that notice on the website until now. I ordered my album via the phone. FOTF's website has not been working for me order wise of late.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Ordered! :D

I have two hundred more episodes to listen to before I get to these (chronologically), but I can't wait!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*ordered*

I plan on doing my own massive review project like Taq suggested, and it's stuff like this that makes me want to stop procrastinating ;)

So, do these episodes have numbers to them since most of them didn't air on the radio?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I don't know if these episodes will even be given a number... which may or may not be a good thing. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Considering the fact that these aren't really suppose to be associated with Adventures in Odyssey's episodes, I would say that it's unlikely these will be numbered as part of the AIO broadcast. I think they'll remain separate, anyways I'm pretty tempted to buy them considering a good paycheck comes in soon \:D/
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Agent3xq wrote:Considering the fact that these aren't really suppose to be associated with Adventures in Odyssey's episodes, I would say that it's unlikely these will be numbered as part of the AIO broadcast. I think they'll remain separate,
I have now listened to the album, and I must say that I enjoyed them. All were well done. So I'm still curious why they aren't considered canon? They had Whit, and Connie, Wooton, Eugene, and they tackled some important issues. Anyone know why they won't be numbered?
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

They have good themes and I guess they could be considered regular episodes. Maybe they should add each episode to upcoming albums :-k
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Um.. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went to the Christian Book store here in Walla Walla, and I was looking around, found the odyssey's, and saw The Truth Chronicles. I culd have bought it, had I the money. BUt $25 is a little much for me right now. I have to slow my spending. I've all reayd bought album 50..

But I've seen it in the store here in this very small town of Walla Walla.. so maybe there is a glitch or something?
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

To my knowledge FOTF has never said if they have a number or not, i was hoping for it to say on the official website when the collection was released, however they don't have any episodes listed on the page not even the kidsboro episodes which we know have an episode number from the old version of the official site. so I guess we'll just have to wait and see
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Having only heard the first episode, I'm not really in the best position to explain why Focus would or wouldn't include the episodes in Odyssey canon. But from my limited knowledge of the Truth Chronicles, it seems like they're more of an audio illustration of the principles and concepts discussed in the worldview curriculum. As such, the "story" element of them is less present. At least that's what I had assumed before I listened to Here I Am. If the remaining eight episodes (not including Kidsboro) are as good as the first one, then I think they should include them with the "normal" Odyssey episodes.

Kidsboro is another matter entirely. I was surprised to find out they got such a small mention in the Official Guide.
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

so for those of you who have listened to the episodes, how do they stack up against "regular" Odyssey episodes?

i read that some of our favourite characters are on board. are these
episodes written differently or anything? are they more based on the "kids" or the adults?

just curious.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Perhaps you should check out the latest Official Podcast. Paul McCusker, writer of the eight Truth Chronicles episodes, shares a lot of background information... listening to the podcast will most definitely help answer some of your questions.
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

thanks for the info. i subscribe to the podcast but have not listened to the past few shows yet.