Left Behind

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Left Behind

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

hey have any of you seen the movie Left Behind? I saw that the other day, Oh my goodness, If I was'nt sure about my salvation, I would want to be after seeing that! What did you think?
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've seen both Left Behind movies, and, while I certainly enjoyed them, they didn't even compare to the books. I really enjoyed the series, although I thought they dragged it out a bit too long . . . if the authors had really wanted to, they could've finished the series in 7 or 8 books.
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

there is more than one? now I am confussed.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well, Left Behind - The Movie and Left Behind II - Tribulation Force.

Image Image
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

oh I saw this one. Image
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I love the audio dramas better then the movies. I was very disappointed by the movies.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ooh, yeah. The audio dramas are pretty good. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them all yet, though. Each book has 12 episodes. There's twelve books in the entire series. That's 144 episodes. :-s Approximately 60 hours of listening material. Whew. You can here them all here.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Dont' forget the kid's series. Those are just as great and there are 6 dramas for the kids series because the combined the books. They have six dramas out for the kids series and covered four books for each one (the books were really small). Again 12 episodes per CD= a lot of listening.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Heh. I thought the kid's books dragged on WAY too long. Again, available for your listening pleasure here, the total listening time comes to about 20 hours. But even if you're more into reading the books, 34 is just too many. Especially for the parents who are purchasing all the books. :-k

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Kids Series and reading it. :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AndreaMeltsner wrote:there is more than one? now I am confussed.
For a second I thought you were talking about the books and I was going to ask "Where have you been for the last decade?"

And I agree, the Kid's series was a bit too long. I quit after #30 or something like that.

-Jonathan
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

I only read the first six kids' books, and just the first adult book. The movies were good, imo, although not the best. :D
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

The 'Left Behind' series in general dragged on too long.

I actually like Jerry Jenkins' style, and will defend him to no end against the nay-sayers.

BUT he and LaHaye really gave in to the Marketing people. They announced originally it would be a SEVEN book series. Then it hit big, and right around book four they changed it to a TWELVE book series.

That's why #4: Soul Harvest is so awful, and why so many of the books only cover 1-2 days of action. The plot loses momentum at that pace.

Jenkins is still a great writer, no question....

-shasta
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I think book 4 is where I stopped reading (maybe it was number 5). I think I had 2 or 3 chapters left and I was so bored I didn't even want to read the rest, put it aside, and never looked back. I loved the first book, but the series definitely dragged on way too long after that. And the pace was terrible. Some hour long events would take place over several chapters, and then at other times (the "plagues" coming down for example), events are just referred to that take place over weeks and months in one or two sentences.

I still own most of the books (I bought them all in advance thinking I would actually read them all), but don't think I'll ever finish the series. Though I have contemplated picking up the audio dramas, but the little samples I've heard of it I thought the acting was atrocious. One day though... it was still an interesting concept.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I stopped reading the kids books at book 5.

Not because I was sick of them, but because when I went to the library to get some more, they had EVERY single book in the series except... yep, you guessed it, 6. #-o

I'm going to try and get them from a friend, but I agree, they do drag on...

Sarah
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sarah wrote:I stopped reading the kids books at book 5.

Not because I was sick of them, but because when I went to the library to get some more, they had EVERY single book in the series except... yep, you guessed it, 6. #-o
:lol: What a drag.

Even though it dragged out long, it certainly was an interesting concept as Shadowpaw said. Although the whole series turned into more of a marketing tool, at least they served as a message to the non-believers who read the books.
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Jonathan wrote:
For a second I thought you were talking about the books and I was going to ask "Where have you been for the last decade?"

And I agree, the Kid's series was a bit too long. I quit after #30 or something like that.

-Jonathan

Well Jonathan I was not raised as a Christan and frankly did not have verry much Christian ifluences in my life. why do you think it took me near 17 years to figure out that there were actually christian radio stations? I thought they were all either Talk raido, or some kind of Rock and Roll.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AndreaMeltsner wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

-Jonathan

Well Jonathan I was not raised as a Christan and frankly did not have verry much Christian ifluences in my life. why do you think it took me near 17 years to figure out that there were actually christian radio stations? I thought they were all either Talk raido, or some kind of Rock and Roll.
I apologize; I didn't mean to offend.

-Jonathan
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i am listening to them all again
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I liked both movies and can't wait till the third one comes out. *gasps for breath*
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Jonathan wrote:
AndreaMeltsner wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

-Jonathan

I apologize; I didn't mean to offend.

-Jonathan
that is ok Jonathan, I guess I said it a little roughly.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!