Rethinking

Which characters would you pick?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Rethinking

Post by Storm »

The writers, when interviewed on the unofficial podcast, (thanks Chris and Sarah) said that they would be rethinking much of the shows characters, maybe getting rid of some. :demonstration:

If you had a choice to get rid of a character in the shows, or bring back old ones, who would you choose?
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

DEFFINATELY bring back Lucy Cunningham Schultz, and Richard Maxwell! Maybe get rid of Mandy and her family? I know many people wouldn't like that...it's just my opinion =;
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

ILoveRichardMaxwell wrote:DEFFINATELY bring back Lucy Cunningham Schultz, and Richard Maxwell! Maybe get rid of Mandy and her family? I know many people wouldn't like that...it's just my opinion =;
While I am not excited about Richard Maxwell making a return to Odyssey, I would not mind Lucy at all. While I like Mandy, I think that they have gone as far as they can with her character.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I'm okay with them getting rid of the older Odyssey kids, like Mandy, Liz, and Trent. I just hope the younger Odyssey kids will stay, like Grady and his family, as well as Kelly and the Washington's.

While I'm glad that old Odyssey kids like Lucy and Jimmy are coming back for the upcoming season (as mentioned in the preview in the latest AIO podcast), I can't see them coming back permanently.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

H Tide wrote:I'm okay with them getting rid of the older Odyssey kids, like Mandy, Liz, and Trent. I just hope the younger Odyssey kids will stay, like Grady and his family, as well as Kelly and the Washington's.
I agree. I really like Grady and his family. I also like the Washingtons even though Marvin and Tamika are getting older.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

The reason for getting rid of the characters is because they're getting too old, and while this mostly applies to the kids, could it also apply to Paul Herlinger? Let's face it, he's not exactly young. Could they be preparing for Whit's departure before he dies or becomes too old to act anymore?

It will be a year before they record any more new shows, and that means that every kid actor will age significantly, and so will Paul.

I think we all agree that the Straussbergs, Hortons and DeWhites are all likely candidates for cancellation. I'd hate to see the Washingtons leave, especially since they just started with Kelly, but the Mulligans looked like they were heading down a similar path, and they're completely absent now.

I think the Rathbones can leave as well. Rodney has had few significant appearances recently, and while there's been Bart aplenty, the new actor doesn't feel like the right Bart. Maybe we'll see a brand new dysfunctional family? :D
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

To be completely honest, I wouldn't mind seeing most of the current characters phased out of the show - just for the reasons mentioned above (kids getting too old, storylines fully developed, actors aging, etc.). I wouldn't mind starting fresh with a whole new bunch of kids, but still retaining a few essential characters - such as Whit if they can find a new actor, Connie, Eugene, and maybe the Washingtons. Other minor characters like Edwin, Wooton, and Katrina would be nice to keep around. :)

But what would be a great accomplishment on the part of the writers is to create new characters that are truly unique for the years ahead - not simply "replacement" characters for those who may leave.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Here are two things I said over two years ago. This is the problem I'm having. Now they're going to take a year off and most likely totally overhaul AIO, instead of little by little introducing new characters.
Flyah wrote:You do bring up a good point about the Older Characters dying. Will they get yet another Whit?

I think that instead of being cutesy and bringing up past AIO storylines so much, they need to be developing new characters who can gradually replace these old favorties. If these characters suddenly die and then new characters are brought into the stories, it will be much harder to adapt. I'm sure the writers are working on this.
Flyah wrote:This is a good topic in that it again brings to light the issue of characters of Odyssey. The frequently resurfacing concerns about the age of four of the main characters are well documented. [Will we even ever hear Jack Allen again] Tom, Bernard and Whit [the actors portraying them] are quickly aging. AIO writers have given us Wooten and Lester but does it seem to anyone else that instead of just creating normal characters with normal jobs and normal lives, the writers are creating offbeat unusual characters? This started back with the Mulligans (who we haven't heard from in sometime)

I think the writers should bring in some more middle aged men characters - it has always been these that have helped to drive the story along. The kids come and go and are interchangeable - Jack to Lucy to Sam to Courtney to Jared to Mandy to Liz. But Tom and Whit have been mainstays throughout and when they're gone, AIO as we know it may be gone as well.

Which brings up one other interesting point....Besides Joanne [a relatively minor character] where are the middle aged/eldery women? Why not create a couple of women as well.

Just some random thoughts....
When AIO returns in Sept of 09 I think you can say godbye to Jack and Joanne, Bernard, and perhaps even Whit. Please do not replace Tom and forget this new Bart. New kids - a new proprietor at Whit's End.

Eugene, Katrina, Connie and Wooten will most likely be the base of the show IMO.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Why is everyone writing off Paul Herlinger? Is he not doing well or are we just assuming since he's old he needs to be replaced or written out? :anxious:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jed Clampett wrote:Why is everyone writing off Paul Herlinger? Is he not doing well or are we just assuming since he's old he needs to be replaced or written out? :anxious:
I think (and I am probably wrong) that the upcoming AIO hiatus has me and everyone else thinking of the possibilities that may come up in the future.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jed Clampett wrote:Why is everyone writing off Paul Herlinger? Is he not doing well or are we just assuming since he's old he needs to be replaced or written out? :anxious:
He just can't relate to kids anymore. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Chandler wrote:
He just can't relate to kids anymore. ;)
He can relate.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I don't really want anyone to go right now... :( Sad!

*Notes that she has been using the :( smiley very often lately. Sad!*
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Smaug the dragon wrote:I don't really want anyone to go right now... :( Sad!

I don't either, but we don't want Odyssey to become stale either. So this is necessary.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Yeah, I guess...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

See, I'm not sure why Herlinger gets blamed for not relating to kids or whatever... its not like they hired him and he says, "HA! I REFUSE any scripts that have me relating to kids like Hal Smith did!!"

It's all on the writers, as far as I'm concerned.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jed Clampett wrote:See, I'm not sure why Herlinger gets blamed for not relating to kids or whatever... its not like they hired him and he says, "HA! I REFUSE any scripts that have me relating to kids like Hal Smith did!!"

I am not blaming anything on Paul Herlinger. I like his portrayal of Whit and I am very glad the AIO team found him and that he was able to step in for Hal. I am really trying to be very careful about what I post here. Let us not forget that Nathan Hoobler often visits this forum and reads our posts and we don't know but what Paul Herlinger and the other actors might come here as well.
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Paul Herlinger relates to kids!

They said on the podcast that they were rethinking Odyssey for the next 20 years. The guy who plays Whit is not young, 20 years would make him very old, they can't anticipate a new person coming in like Paul did for Hal, they have to prepare.

As for bringing back old characters... I would love to see all the old crew; Jared, Sarah, Lucy, Dwayne, Nathaniel and others return. But then, when I think about it, it might be hard to bring them back, I don't know.

I would definitly vote for a return of Edwin and Shakespere, along with Cryn' Bryn Dern, twould be fun.
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Because Whit is the one the kids always go to for advice, he becomes tough to replace. The Jack/Jason solution was fantastic, but they can't go that way again, as Alan Young is probably also not going to be around for 20 years. Their choice is to either find some old character(s) who could fill Whit's role, introduce new characters, or drop the position all the time.

Connie is the obvious choice for the new authority figure, but (and I know she's grown a lot recently) I don't think she's quite ready to take up the mantle of the kids' spiritual adviser yet. Eugene is too busy with his own pursuits, Jason has his calling (at the moment), and would not hang around and take care of the kids (though he did say he wanted to settle down in Odyssey someday). George Barclay certainly has the wisdom, and could move back, but not only have we never heard him try to relate to any kids other than Jimmy, Donna and Lawrence, but Chuck Bolte is no doubt far too busy to take up a full-time acting job. Maybe the Odyssey branch of Whit's End will close down and Ed Washington will become our new figurehead (but I don't want them to change the show to Adventures in Connelsville, since most of the action would be going on where Whit's End is).

If they were going to have one already-known character take Whit's place at Whit's End, I think that character should be (ready for this?) Wooton. I know he was brought in as little more than comic relief, but we've seen another side of him since he made a milkshake in under a minute without using his hands. Not only does he relate to kids on a level unlike any other adult, but he has the spiritual fortitude to act as a leader when issues of morality and faith are brought up. In fact, if I let myself think this way, it almost feels like the purpose for Wooton's entire relationship with Grady has been to prepare him and us for his installment at Whit's End.

Wooton, of course, does not have the inventing mind that Whit does. He has created a hidden Power Boy room and has built a treehouse, but we've seen no evidence of computer prowess. This could be solved with the return of Jason at some point, and Eugene is capable (if not too busy) to lend a hand in those matters for the time being. Hey, maybe Barry Muntz could even return (working for the right side this time)!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jed Clampett wrote:See, I'm not sure why Herlinger gets blamed for not relating to kids or whatever... its not like they hired him and he says, "HA! I REFUSE any scripts that have me relating to kids like Hal Smith did!!"

I agree. :yes: Whit listens to a problem then says, "We should pray about that." No kidding! :-s

I hope they keep Whit on the show for a long time to come... it's possible to improve the character and even in the unfortunate even that Paul Herlinger could no longer do the voice, someone else could replace him (shocking, I know...).

Trying to find a "replacement" for Whit is basically impossible because Whit is a one-man gang. Ed, Connie, Wooton, Jason, Eugene, etc. all have their good points but their not nearly as rounded or experienced as Whit. So the duties would probably have to be split again were Whit written out of the show. Or maybe Whit's sister could take over! No doubt she's got all his good qualities! \:D/