christian vs. secular

is it wrong?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world

christian vs. secular

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

im just wondering what you guys feel about christians listening to secular music.
i feel that as long as they don't swear an the lyrics arent vulgar or anything its fine. in my opinion the whole fakey, happy, cheer up, life will get better feeling of some christian music gets kind of annoying sometimes. i mean dont get me wrong, theyre are some AH-MAZIN christian bands out there (i.e. Hawk Nelson, Superchic[k], Relient K etc). but i feel like there are some christian bands that like kind of put a mask on whats really going on in the world, and it gets really old.

what does everyone else here think?
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I listen to both. Basically, if I like it, I listen. I don't worry about the genre.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

Yeah, not all non-Christian music is..."evil". The truth is, the world can make some great music that has great messages. :)
*returns*
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

I agree to all of the above. I have a LOT of songs that aren't Christian, but the lyrics are harmless and fun. I love carribbean music, pop, classical, and some other stuff that can't be classified ( I have a fondness toward really weird songs ) :-

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I listen to a good amount of Christian music... mainly Relient K these days but I'm still a big fan of now defunct bands like DC Talk and Petra etc... but I listen to lots of random secular stuff, too... though I was cataloguing my CD's this past week and discovered we own quite a bit more Christian than any one catagory of secular music...
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I agree that secular music has some great songs. The songs I like don't arent bad or anything. My dad is really up tight and he thinks that I shouldn't listen to any secular music which realllllly buggs me. There's nothing wrong with what I listen to. This is one area where I disagree with my parents ferrr sherrr. anyways, yeah....
I do what I do.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I would agree with others, there are some good secular songs. But because of my music standards, I do not listen to many secular songs.
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

what kind of secular bands do you guys listen to?
my top 5 are...
1) certain Angels and Airwaves songs *like The Adventure and Everything's Magic*
2) i luv LUV LUV Hellogoodbye!! {Shimmey Shimmey Quarter Turn is insane}
3) Arctic Monkeys
4) Jack's Mannequin (the clean stuff)
5) OneRepublic <3
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I agree wit Fray. I listen to both as long as there aren't any super bad things in 'em, I'm good.

-Robo
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

I almost NEVER listen to non-christian music so I wouldn't really know. But I do agree that if it doesn't have bad morals or bad words than it is most likely fine. But that's only my personal experience and as lots of you know I don't really listen to music that much. :D :- :anxious:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

oooh...FATE!! Windy was like "oh, FATE told me about this awesome band, you've GOT to hear them" (he was talking about OneRepublic)

So thanks to you, I am now a fan of OneRepublic! \:D/

They rock!!

Ok...back to the topic....I almost never listen to Christian music. :anxious:

Almost my whole entire iTunes collection is secular music. I DO like some Christian bands (casting crowns, relient K) But I just never listen to them :p

So...obviously...I think secular music is ok.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I like to listen to many alternative bands such as: (the cleaner selections from these artists)
Dashboard Confessional
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
OneRepublic
Boys Like Girls
Panic! at the Disco

And other secular artists like:
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Swift
Cascada
Jordin Sparks
DAUGHTRY
Corbin Bleu
Jonas Brothers
Miley Cyrus
and so on....
\:D/
*returns*
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

I think the line between Christian music and secular music has really dimmed. I think music is music and both secular and Christian can be good and be bad. As long as it doesn't become your idol your fine but it's very hard to keep it under control. Believe me I know! I'm a Christian music artist myself and my goal is to reach others through music and bring them into the knowledge of God's love, but still I find myself getting too caught up in it at times. It's then that I step back, take a break, and re-evaluate my reasons for doing what I do. To be honest some of the so-called "Christian music" is really just secular music with Christian words. When you hear a song with lyrics like "Be still and know he, know he is holy, be still and know he is God" and you've got a ton of percussion and distorted guitars and the people are screaming it out instead of singing it out, it kind of defeats the purpose for the lyrics. The words are saying "be still", and yet everything is chaos. But I'm not being hypocritical because I do listen to and perform that kind of music myself. It all boils down to supply and demand. The fans want it, you provide it. Please let me know your thoughts on what I’ve said.
Kate is Riss and Riss is Kate!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

risskee wrote:I think the line between Christian music and secular music has really dimmed. I think music is music and both secular and Christian can be good and be bad. As long as it doesn't become your idol your fine but it's very hard to keep it under control. Believe me I know! I'm a Christian music artist myself and my goal is to reach others through music and bring them into the knowledge of God's love, but still I find myself getting too caught up in it at times. It's then that I step back, take a break, and re-evaluate my reasons for doing what I do. To be honest some of the so-called "Christian music" is really just secular music with Christian words. When you hear a song with lyrics like "Be still and know he, know he is holy, be still and know he is God" and you've got a ton of percussion and distorted guitars and the people are screaming it out instead of singing it out, it kind of defeats the purpose for the lyrics. The words are saying "be still", and yet everything is chaos. But I'm not being hypocritical because I do listen to and perform that kind of music myself. It all boils down to supply and demand. The fans want it, you provide it. Please let me know your thoughts on what I’ve said.
:-s So, you play that sort of music yourself, even though it is just secular music with Christian words? And even though the music itself conflicts with the message?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding...
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I think that the best way to determine this is to ask yourself, "If Jesus Christ were sitting beside me, would I feel completely comfortable listening to this song?"
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Life
Popsicle kid

Post by Life »

Pseudonym wrote:I think that the best way to determine this is to ask yourself, "If Jesus Christ were sitting beside me, would I feel completely comfortable listening to this song?"
Ok, this is kind of off topic, but that post made me think of it. On top of our t.v. we have a brochure that says "Would Jesus watch this show with you?" and it has a picture of Jesus staring right at you. It's SO creepy...
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

Christina wrote:
risskee wrote:I think the line between Christian music and secular music has really dimmed. I think music is music and both secular and Christian can be good and be bad. As long as it doesn't become your idol your fine but it's very hard to keep it under control. Believe me I know! I'm a Christian music artist myself and my goal is to reach others through music and bring them into the knowledge of God's love, but still I find myself getting too caught up in it at times. It's then that I step back, take a break, and re-evaluate my reasons for doing what I do. To be honest some of the so-called "Christian music" is really just secular music with Christian words. When you hear a song with lyrics like "Be still and know he, know he is holy, be still and know he is God" and you've got a ton of percussion and distorted guitars and the people are screaming it out instead of singing it out, it kind of defeats the purpose for the lyrics. The words are saying "be still", and yet everything is chaos. But I'm not being hypocritical because I do listen to and perform that kind of music myself. It all boils down to supply and demand. The fans want it, you provide it. Please let me know your thoughts on what I’ve said.
:-s So, you play that sort of music yourself, even though it is just secular music with Christian words? And even though the music itself conflicts with the message?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding...
Yes I do. I admit it. I myself play, sing, and write only acoustical music. But I don't listen to just acoustical music. I'll admit I love the song "Do Or Die" by Dogwood. I love P.O.D., Relient K, and Hawk Nelson. Sometimes I like hard rock but not always. Sometimes it takes different genres of music to reach a kind of person. So yes I do.
Pseudonym wrote:I think that the best way to determine this is to ask yourself, "If Jesus Christ were sitting beside me, would I feel completely comfortable listening to this song?"
I like this!!!
Kate is Riss and Riss is Kate!
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I agree.
suzanne291
I've been here a bit

Post by suzanne291 »

jcloverofmysoul wrote: Ok, this is kind of off topic, but that post made me think of it. On top of our t.v. we have a brochure that says "Would Jesus watch this show with you?" and it has a picture of Jesus staring right at you. It's SO creepy...
that is really super creepy.
I am the only one to blame for this
Somehow it all ends up the same
Soaring on the wings of selfish pride, I flew too high
and like Icarus I collide
with the world I tried so hard to leave behind
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

Oh I like that!!!

And jcloverofmysoul, I don't think that's creepy, I think that's awesome! I should put one of those on my TV....