Digital by Law?

This may not belong in the CCDS....

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Digital by Law?

Post by Jonathan »

As we all know thanks to those quirky commercials, analog cable will no longer exist as of Feb 19 2009 in the US.

So help me understand this, all you legal folks out there. I don't think I like this idea here--why should the gov't decide how high a resolution I watch? And do they have the right? Is there a justifiable reason for this?

I guess I think this might be where gov't becomes too big-brothery. So someone tell me why it's not or what not.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

There are so many things that big brother has taken control of, that this is a small matter. <_<
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Danadelfos wrote:There are so many things that big brother has taken control of, that this is a small matter. <_<
True, but I'm curious about this one b/c 1. Why does it matter enough for them to worry about and 2. This is something not unique to the US--many countries have either passed like-legislation or have like-legislation currently in the works.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Jonathan wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:There are so many things that big brother has taken control of, that this is a small matter. <_<
True, but I'm curious about this one b/c 1. Why does it matter enough for them to worry about and 2. This is something not unique to the US--many countries have either passed like-legislation or have like-legislation currently in the works.
Andromeda is taking over the world. :o

(I don't know either. It does seem odd, though.)
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think it's a government issue because the FCC regulates the airwaves and media. Moving all TV to digital frees up airwaves, I believe. So not only is it beneficial to the consumer, but to the FCC. And forcing electronics producers to change all over to digital is definitely a benefit to the consumer in the end. But it also simplifies things for cable and satellite carriers and producers of other electronics components. And although TVs that are not digital are no longer going to be supported, digital cable/satellite boxes can still be hooked up to the older "obsolete" sets to receive the digital signal. Plus, when was the last time you saw an antenna on the roof of a house actually being used as the sole provider of the television's reception?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Darcie wrote:Moving all TV to digital frees up airwaves, I believe.
Indeed it does. The DTV spec requires less bandwidth than current analog transmissions. As a result, when the transition to DTV occurs, the FCC will be auctioning off the part of the spectrum that will no longer be used for television signals. This is especially exciting for the consumer, depending on who wins the auction. Google has expressed interest, for one.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Darcie wrote:I think it's a government issue because the FCC regulates the airwaves and media.
Well maybe they shouldn't. Hasn't any one heard of the first amendment?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I believe you are thinking of freedom of speech, but I was referring to allocation of frequencies, radio and TV call letters, and the like. :)
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Darcie wrote:Plus, when was the last time you saw an antenna on the roof of a house actually being used as the sole provider of the television's reception?
Well, today....

Because it's on mine....

:anxious:

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

We just use an antenna on top of our TV... :(
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

This is like the government saying I can only buy a certain brand of milk, or drive a certain car. I'm sure that digital is better quality; but I want to make that choice, not have the government say so. :noway:

So there. :noway:
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Until this becomes a heated "debate" I'm moving this to Harlequin ;)

It will come back here if things get juicy.

(...and I don't care if you want to make the choice or not, THIS big brother has made his decision :noway:)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Dr. Watson wrote:This is like the government saying I can only buy a certain brand of milk, or drive a certain car. I'm sure that digital is better quality; but I want to make that choice, not have the government say so. :noway:

I agree.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

:roll:

Bring back the Pony Express! :protest:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I consider this just a move to a different medium- as long as there are still free options out there then i'm fine with it.

(This also goes out to FM radio I believe.)

But with the FCC auctioning it off Google will probably get the whole frequency and turn it into a free ad supported cell phone carrier.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:Well, today....

Because it's on mine....
The Top Crusader wrote:We just use an antenna on top of our TV... :(
My apologies to the two of you then. Actually our upstairs TV does, and it will become obsolete because it can't hook up to cable or a dvd/vcr player. :( But when I was little, everyone had antennas on their roof tops. I still remember when they dug up the streets to put in the cable lines... :anxious:
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Darcie wrote:I believe you are thinking of freedom of speech,

Which is part of the first amendment.
Darcie wrote:but I was referring to allocation of frequencies, radio and TV call letters, and the like. :)
It doesn't matter, the government shouldn't control those things. Would we let the government allocate printing presses? Of course not. Speech and the median by which it is transmitted must be with out government controls for free speech to be real. Otherwise the government can shut down radio and TV at will or refuse to give frequencies to stations the government doesn't like.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:
Darcie wrote:Plus, when was the last time you saw an antenna on the roof of a house actually being used as the sole provider of the television's reception?
Well, today....

Because it's on mine....

:anxious:

Mandy
Me too.

Dr. Watson wrote:This is like the government saying I can only buy a certain brand of milk, or drive a certain car. I'm sure that digital is better quality; but I want to make that choice, not have the government say so. :noway:

Exactly
how I feel!

Plus, don't you need to buy a special receiver or something for this if you don't have cable? I thought I heard something like that. I don't really know much about this transition yet.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I've known about this for a while and the US isn't the only country that's switching to digital TV. Every country at some point will be switched to digital TV.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Darcie wrote:When I was little, everyone had antennas on their roof tops. I still remember when they dug up the streets to put in the cable lines... :anxious:
I don't remember that far back, but I definitely remember those old floor model televisions with the little UHF clips in the back (as opposed to the now common red/white/yellow cables). Come to think of it, I'm suddenly recalling a lot of technological milestones (like when DVDs first came out and almost all of them were $50 a piece and it cost almost $300 to buy the most basic DVD player).

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com