Ok, For those who remember Isaac Morton.....

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Ok, For those who remember Isaac Morton.....

Post by aiofan »

Do any of you get the feeling that he kind of exhibits gay behavior? I just listened to Isaac the Insecure. I haven't heard this episode in YEARS, and now listening to it as an adult, I feel it is glaringly obvious. I think back to other episodes with Isaac in it...... and yeah... what do you guys think?
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

well, sure he's awkward and insecure, but lots of kids are in junior high. I'm sure that the folks at AIO had no thoughts whatsoever of creating a gay character.
I do what I do.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

yeah....i was thinking about it more, and the fact too he was in the david and jonathan episode...and with sam.... (some people think that david and jonathan were a little more than friends)...i dont know...it seems like a possibility to me! but yeah, i do agree aio would probably never make a gay character, at least one that is out of the closet.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Since when did being shy and insecure determine a person's sexual orientation?

Far be it for guys to have fellow guy friends. :shame:

:roll:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

ok, it has nothing to do with being insecure, or having guy friends. many other characters in odyssey have these qualities.

it's just his EXTREME admiration for Jack. just the way the dialogue goes, and his behavior, particularly in that episode. also, the fact that he was in the david and jonathan episode...
i don't see this as a negative thing btw....
Last edited by aiofan on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ah, okay. :)

I just don't get what your point is... so perhaps Isaac shares a few similar qualities with that of gay people. And...?
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

LOLOLOL! My point is, is that I was wondering if others noticed this as well. And I see that others have. :)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

aiofan wrote:it's just his EXTREME admiration for Jack. just the way the dialogue goes, and his behavior, particularly in that episode. also, the fact that he was in the david and jonathan episode...
i don't see this as a negative thing btw....
With his age, coupled with the misguided/confused attitudes Isaac usually has, it fits with his character well. Maybe a little overplayed, but twas probably necessary to get their point across.

Or in other words, no, I didn't get that impression at all.

edit-Just saw this (and at the risk of being untactful):
aiofan wrote:and the fact too he was in the david and jonathan episode...and with sam.... (some people think that david and jonathan were a little more than friends)
Oh please. Like Trent said, people can have close friends of the same gender without being gay--I think it's important to have such friends. And thanks to our societies failing to understand that, I've actually had to counsel some young teens confused about their sexuality b/c they were close friends with people of the same gender.

And don't even get me started on the whole David/Jonathan thing. There is none, and I mean not one iota of evidence that they were homosexual.

Or in other words, again, no, I didn't get that impression at all ;)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Nope, don't get that impression at all. You can have the same sex friends and be perfectly fine (not Gay or Lesbian).
But, I guess it depends on what is going on and all.
Isaac was an interesting character.
Nope, don't get that impression at all.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

LOL I always thought he seemed that way... but at the same time I am 100% sure that Focus wouldn't have a character like that, and I'm sure its just because they played things over the top to make their point. At the time of the episodes production the whole gay thing wasn't as huge and they probably didn't even notice... now they would probably be more careful.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

And don't even get me started on the whole David/Jonathan thing. There is none, and I mean not one iota of evidence that they were homosexual.
Ok, I realize that I might not have made myself clear. I agree, I don't think that David and Jonathan are gay. I do think it is a possiblity, but I agree, there just isn't enough evidence (or in your belief, no evidence). I just know that is a common story that people refer to. It just happened to be THAT story, and with THAT character...kind of interesting I think. :)
LOL I always thought he seemed that way... but at the same time I am 100% sure that Focus wouldn't have a character like that, and I'm sure its just because they played things over the top to make their point. At the time of the episodes production the whole gay thing wasn't as huge and they probably didn't even notice... now they would probably be more careful.
I didn't think about the time period. I wonder if they will ever replay that episode again, and if people would notice coming from this time period context. Either way, I do miss Isaac's character. I liked him! :)[/quote]
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

aiofan wrote:Do any of you get the feeling that he kind of exhibits gay behavior? I just listened to Isaac the Insecure. I haven't heard this episode in YEARS, and now listening to it as an adult, I feel it is glaringly obvious. I think back to other episodes with Isaac in it...... and yeah... what do you guys think?
No...
We're so sensitive about trying to detect "gay" undertones in stuff that old stories that were written without that idea in mind are now being scrutinized afresh.
For example, Tom Brown's School Days, written in 1857. The author didn't include any references to homosexuality in his original work (which can be downloaded here). Yet when a movie version is made, some viewers envision those undertones.
As someone posted on IMDB
I was actually surprised when he cruelly seduced a maid, as I thought the homo-erotic potential in this hot house environment was implied, particularly when it is emphasized how "different" the weakest victim is as he shines at poetry readings.
That's just one example but I've seen this kind of post many places when reevaluating old stories and movies that don't have any gay themes. It's not that there's anything wrong with the people noticing it... it's just showing that our mindset today is different than when these stories were first created.
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I don't remeber Isaac ever asking gay! I though he just admired Jake too mich and was obsest with him! But Gay?! I don't know!? :-k #-o
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

aiofan wrote:i don't see this as a negative thing btw....
Well, if there was any evidence to support it, I certainly would. But there isn't. I'm sure plenty of people here have been "obsessed" [a gross overexageration] with someone older or "more cool" than them, same or opposite gender, especially as a young kid.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with Issac. I enjoy his character. I think it's wrong that people DO imediately characterize senstitive, soft spoken, or effeminite in anyway boys as homosexual!! That's wrong. And planting things in young mens [and to the opposite degree] in women's minds that if you exhibit behaviors different than the norm of your gender stereotype, you MUST be a homosexual is entirely too prevelent and disgusting.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

S E E R wrote:
aiofan wrote:i don't see this as a negative thing btw....
Well, if there was any evidence to support it, I certainly would. But there isn't. I'm sure plenty of people here have been "obsessed" [a gross overexageration] with someone older or "more cool" than them, same or opposite gender, especially as a young kid.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with Issac. I enjoy his character. I think it's wrong that people DO imediately characterize senstitive, soft spoken, or effeminite in anyway boys as homosexual!! That's wrong. And planting things in young mens [and to the opposite degree] in women's minds that if you exhibit behaviors different than the norm of your gender stereotype, you MUST be a homosexual is entirely too prevelent and disgusting.
I second that--twas well put.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

No, I never thought that about Isaac, and frankly, I'm surprised this issue is even coming up a) here on these boards which is made up of children/a younger audience and b) considering Focus on the Family's outspoken stance against homosexuality.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to be rude here, just a bit firm, nor was I meaning to insult anyone either. I just think it's a sad day when something even as innocent as Adventures in Odyssey is scrutinized in such a manner. :(
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

I am fascinated to read all of your replies. It is interesting to get other people's perspective, especially of those who are from different parts of the country/world.
I enjoy his character. I think it's wrong that people DO imediately characterize senstitive, soft spoken, or effeminite in anyway boys as homosexual!! That's wrong. And planting things in young mens [and to the opposite degree] in women's minds that if you exhibit behaviors different than the norm of your gender stereotype, you MUST be a homosexual is entirely too prevelent and disgusting.
I didn't say that Isaac was sensitive, soft spoken, or effeminite. Do you think that? I don't think Isaac is soft spoken, or effeminite at all. He is actually pretty loud. I think what you mentioned are gay stereotypes. (and being sensitive in a good way is very admirable in my opinion). I know plenty of gay people that don't have those qualities. Once again, I just thought the admiration seemed a bit over the top, and the mention of the David and Jonathan episode. I think you are talking about a different topic, which is stereotyping. I agree, I hate that too. It happens a lot with race and class as well. Which I agree...is too prevelent and disgusting.
No, I never thought that about Isaac, and frankly, I'm surprised this issue is even coming up a) here on these boards which is made up of children/a younger audience and b) considering Focus on the Family's outspoken stance against homosexuality.
Ok, I don't believe anything said here so far was inappropriate. I know about Focus on the Family's outspoken stance about homosexuality. However I think it is interesting that you made this comment, yet nothing like this is mentioned in the thread about child abuse topic in "the other woman" thread. Most of the responses seem that they thought it was OK. Focus is against this as well, yet somehow it doesn't have the same effect (with many of those on this board anyway).
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I'm a little confused...what other woman thread, and where was child abuse condoned? Could you clarify what you mean please. I'm rather lost, I'm sorry. :(
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

Haha, yeah, I guess a link to that might have helped. Here it is, I hope this works. It is on the same Whits End part of this forum...

http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=16440 ... highlight=

^_^
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

aiofan wrote:I am fascinated to read all of your replies. It is interesting to get other people's perspective, especially of those who are from different parts of the country/world.
This makes me curious--if you don't mind (and if you do I certainly understand), could you say where you're from?
Once again, I just thought the admiration seemed a bit over the top, and the mention of the David and Jonathan episode.
It was over the top to prove a point, not to make him gay.

And your second point holds no credibility, as there is no evidence that David and Jonathan were gay.

Personally, I think you're reading far too much into those factoids.
However I think it is interesting that you made this comment, yet nothing like this is mentioned in the thread about child abuse topic in "the other woman" thread. Most of the responses seem that they thought it was OK. Focus is against this as well, yet somehow it doesn't have the same effect (with many of those on this board anyway).
Well, as was stated in the other thread, it's hard to take the Rathbones seriously in anything (I've always viewed Doris' remark in that episode as just being a smart-alec; there isn't really proof Rodney was abused, and had there been I'm sure Focus wouldn't have treated it as lightly). Second of all, the responses in this thread have been much harsher b/c a) totally different topic and b) there was actually something to substantiate the claims made in the other thread. Here, there is not.