Strong storm through Michigan and surrounding states

Is everyone okay?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Strong storm through Michigan and surrounding states

Post by Kat »

There was a very very thretening storm that went thought Michigan and the surrounding states. It came with many tornadoes that touched down, very high winds, and lots of flooding.

Was there anyone that was involved with this storm?

My family was about to cook some burgers on the grill outside when my mom suddenly yelled, "The tornado sirens are going off!" She told me to grab the radio and my older brother and run to the basement. There were quite a few tornadoes around us but the Lord kept us safe through the whole storm. We were able to get back to our dinner about an hour after the sirens went off.
All in all, a very creepy situation.
*returns*
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Well rumer has it that a tornado landed not far from wher eI live. it seems like it must of just hit ground and lifted off again or something of the like. but I hear their was one tornado the other day leaveing a lot of people powerless.

My house has no power but thats due to the power being shut off and the power company not comming out to turn it on. I'm at my parents house for those wondeirng how I can post with no power.

Doctor Strange
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yep, Ohio got hit hard. We had a little bit of flooding here, and where I used to live had some pretty major flooding.
...I hate marquees.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

heh, you guys aren't like me--the sirens go off here and me and my brother are out on the street looking for the reason (dumb, yes, I know).

Glad you guys got kept safe.
Zelda Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Zelda Jacobs »

I was in youth group standing in the parking lot when we saw the storm clouds coming in. It was cool yet scary. Because I had to ride my Moped home! When riding I thought I was going to be blown off the roads. I prayed the whole way home. When I got home I found out that there was 60 mph wind. If I had stayed any later I would have hit the winds and probably be in the hospital right now. Thank God that I'm okay. :)

EDIT: The next day I found out that there were 100 mph winds during the night. A huge tree branch fell in our yard too.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Not much action compared to everyone else going on here...there have been a few nice storms here (I remember watching them from the twelfth floor lounge during our last summer Bible study), but for the most part it's been lots of rain. It seems we're constantly under a flash flood watch or warning and I know a few counties south of us are flooded. I'm so excited that we get to see the sun today though! ...It's only come out a few times the past week.
Jonathan wrote:heh, you guys aren't like me--the sirens go off here and me and my brother are out on the street looking for the reason (dumb, yes, I know).
Yes! I do the same thing whenever I can! I've always wanted to see a tornado!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I live an hour west of Chicago and we have flooding and damage just about everywhere. Power has been out and is still out in some areas. My cousin who lives in one of the Northern suburbs had a tree come down and take out their master bedroom window and destroy their patio furniture, they also had a flooded basement. Their middle son was home alone when all this happened. My brother and I made out all right. Our front yard was flooded briefly and we have some very minor flooding in one part of our basement.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Homeward bound wrote:
Jonathan wrote:heh, you guys aren't like me--the sirens go off here and me and my brother are out on the street looking for the reason (dumb, yes, I know).
*has seen a tornado ^_^ * I got two pictures of it (one ranks among my favorites that I've taken of anything)--I'll have to post them sometime.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Jonathan wrote:
Homeward bound wrote:
*has seen a tornado ^_^ * I got two pictures of it (one ranks among my favorites that I've taken of anything)--I'll have to post them sometime.
:shock: That's awesome! You will definitely have to post them when you find them! \:D/
edit: ...no matter how long it takes you to find them.... ;)

Aww...I wish I could get pictures of a tornado....
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Ha. That is soo tornado alley. We always did that when I was a kid.

Sirens go off, and all the neighbors are out looking for the funnel.

I've watched them go by only a mile or so from our house.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I went outside during Hurricane Katrina. (I live in Virginia so we only got the arms of it) I like the sound of rain though, so I like storms.

I am glad everyone is safe though, it sounds like it was pretty serious.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

We had a really bad tornado here two years ago. I believe it was the worst one that year. :anxious: The place looked a mess... :anxious:
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

i was born in michigan *near Grand Rapids* an i moved out here to NY but most of my moms family lives out there still. My cousin was taking her 2 yr old daughter for a wlk an it strted to pour out of no where an she was a mile from her car, she strted running an this woman pulled up beside her w a mini van an asked her if she wanted a ride an so emily *my cuz* hopped in an almost as soon as they were safe in the womans van a HUGE tree branch fell right where emily was standing w the stroller...thnk god!
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Ohio got it pretty bad... a couple of towns very close to here are basically no more, or at least the areas somewhat near the river...

A friend of mines basment (I used to live with him like a year ago) had 7 feet of water in it! \:D/ I wish I still lived there so I could go swimming. :boohoo:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Aram wrote:

Ha. That is soo tornado alley. We always did that when I was a kid.

Sirens go off, and all the neighbors are out looking for the funnel.

I've watched them go by only a mile or so from our house.
So, speak of the devil, we had sirens last night. And guess where I was (for some of it, anyway).
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I live in Holland and we caught the very edge of the storms. However my sister who goes to school near Grand Rapids said that the entire campus lost power on Friday.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Shadowpaw wrote:Ohio got it pretty bad... a couple of towns very close to here are basically no more, or at least the areas somewhat near the river...

A friend of mines basment (I used to live with him like a year ago) had 7 feet of water in it! \:D/ I wish I still lived there so I could go swimming. :boohoo:
I was just out there for a funeral yesterday.. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Shadowpaw wrote:Ohio got it pretty bad... a couple of towns very close to here are basically no more, or at least the areas somewhat near the river...

You actually probably would have had to work for a couple of days instead. :(
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis