Lesson in Submission

Please Read!

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Lesson in Submission

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Well, some of you might know that I've struggled for a long time with being obedient and submissive to my mom's decision for our family not to eat meat. I didn't think it was healthy; I felt like I should be allowed to decide for myself whether I ate meat or not, now that I'm seventeen; I just was very unpleasant about the situation in general.

The most frustrating part was that she had no reason for this decision! When I would ask, she would say she was only doing it to submit to God! ](*,) (<- That's how I kept feeling). I had my doubts about whether she was really hearing from God or not, so I had a very hard time with this.

I made a new friend at work who is vegetarian (vegan, in fact), and he was very helpful in convincing me that it's cool to be a vegetarian (well, cool in the same way I am about other things ;-)). I decided to stop eating what little meat I did eat and stop complaining about the rule, even if I did think it was kind of stupid.

However...

While researching the problem I have (the reason I get so angry and emotional with people over very minor things), I discovered something that I had never seen before: that a vegetarian diet (especially one that's low in fat) can help improve the symptoms.

It was one of those "Oh." moments. My mom didn't know why she had to submit to God (and thus make me submit to her) in this one area, but she did anyways. And I didn't know why I had to submit to her, but I had finally decided to anyways.

And did everyone notice how much more managable I was this month? Yay! I imagine the combination of obedience and physiological factors is very good for my condition. :-) Far better even than taking my vitamins and exercising and getting lots of sleep, I'm sure.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that with everyone. For me, the vegetarianism issue was the hardest one of my mom's rules for me to submit to, because it seemed so absolutely pointless and arbitrary. But God showed me that even things that seem really stupid or pointless or useless may in fact be very important-- and may yield wonderful results when we are obedient and submissive.

-Rachael
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Wow! Talk about "It's His will."! =D>

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

I think that's one of the hardest things about living for Jesus. Blind submission...humble trust. James 4.

I'm working on it though! Thanks for your testimony, R!

:D
suzanne291
I've been here a bit

Post by suzanne291 »

It's definitely one of the hardest things for me.

And having to be a vegetarian would be HARD. I would get really mad if my parents made me abstain from eating burgers and chicken.

Thanks for sharing!
I am the only one to blame for this
Somehow it all ends up the same
Soaring on the wings of selfish pride, I flew too high
and like Icarus I collide
with the world I tried so hard to leave behind