Any pianists around here?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

I can play Flight of the Bumblebee on the clarinet! well, sort of. It's really hard. Too many fingers moving way too fast ;)

-Dodge

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Mel
Smile for the camera

Post by Mel »

I've been playing piano for six years. I really enjoy it. Some of my favorite music to play is some of the songs from the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. (That sentence doesn't sound right for some reason :anxious: ) I like playing music from other movies as well, but at the moment the only 'movie music' we have besides LotR is 'He's a Pirate' from PotC. Plus I like classical. :yes: :D
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Mel wrote:I've been playing piano for six years. I really enjoy it. Some of my favorite music to play is some of the songs from the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. (That sentence doesn't sound right for some reason :anxious: ) I like playing music from other movies as well, but at the moment the only 'movie music' we have besides LotR is 'He's a Pirate' from PotC. Plus I like classical. :yes: :D
I play those exact songs \:D/

-Dodge

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I have been playing for like 7 years
I can play part of fur elise and all of cannon (not cannon in d)
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I have played piano for a little over 6.5 years. For the first five years, I had a teacher who I didn't feel was real competent. You know, she had me read sheet music, but she didn't teach certain things foundational to good musicianship (example: hearing the beat of a song, ear training, chord structure). Last year, I started taking lessons from somebody else, who taught me how to play from lead sheets, listen to a song and determine the beat, a lot of stuff way more helpful than exclusively reading sheet music. Anyway, (thanks for letting me vent :D ) I'm enjoying piano lessons a lot more now!
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Abigail
Crazy lil blondie
Crazy lil blondie

Post by Abigail »

I play the piano a little bit, but I really want to take lessons so I can be the piano player in our church.

-Sweet Alaska
^She is back!! In all her glory!^ For real this time! ;)
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I agree with Alaska ^ I'm tryin to get better so I can play and sing at the same time in my uth group.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Mel
Smile for the camera

Post by Mel »

Mel wrote:I like playing music from other movies as well, but at the moment the only 'movie music' we have besides LotR is 'He's a Pirate' from PotC. Plus I like classical. :yes: :D
Gah. I wasn't thinking hard enough when I said that. We also have the music book for 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.'
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

I have been playing for 8+ years and i am now the only pianist in my church.... i am also teaching my 4 younger siblings. \:D/
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

I can't play prob never will
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I have been playing the piano for over seven years, and am in Grade 8 for piano right now. I really enjoy expressing my feelings through playing music.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Pc Pro wrote:I can't play prob never will
Nonsence! anyone can play the piano, some people think they cant play but they just never tryed to played, I say that if you put your mind to it you can do anything!(almost anything, i think....) \:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

In agreement with Paw/David O, I too love piano. :D

I've been playing now for close to 16 years, and its been one of the few things I've had the opportunity to stick with for a fairly long duration. Though initially I was forced into taking lessons and then subsequently despised the piano for about 7 years, things started to warm up from there. Today, I don't think I'd know what to do without it - playing is a wonderful stress-reliever and I look forward to it when I return home after particularly long days.

Right now I'm not taking "formal" lessons, so I basically pick out pieces that I hear, find them online (is anyone else here a fan of the Gutenberg Project?) and then practice them. My current selections (at varying intervals) are:

Reverie, by Claude Debussy
Moment Musicaux #4, by Sergei Rachmaninoff
Etude Op. 8 No. 2, by Alexander Scriabin
Fantasie Impromptu, by Fredrich Chopin
Tempest, by Ludwig van Beethoven
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

RioRenae wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:I can't play prob never will
Nonsence! anyone can play the piano, some people think they cant play but they just never tryed to played, I say that if you put your mind to it you can do anything!(almost anything, i think....) \:D/
yes I know but I was talking about me even trying :noway:
Fourmoons
Not Implemented

Post by Fourmoons »

I love to play the piano! For the first little while I didn't overly like it, but now that I can play more complicated pieces, I love doing it.
Classical and movie music are my preferred things to play.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I play piano! :D

I've played for..uh--maybe around 4-5 years. :)

I love to play movie music too! O:)
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I have been playing piano for about 7 years, but I have been taking lessons for three. :) I love to play the piano! I play to relieve stress most of the time. I can play Phantom of the Opera's "Think of Me"
*returns*
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

I really love playing the piano. I have been taking lessons for about 2 -3 years and my favorite piece is Turkish March (Rondo Alla Turka?) by Mozart. The classical stuff is the best but i enjoy playing some jazz too.
Lulu the Paw
29K to go!

Post by Lulu the Paw »

I've played the piano for 8 years now. I changed teachers last year, which was pretty tough for a while. Right now, I'm playing a Chopin Prelude that is absoulutely gorgeous! It's also the only piece I've ever seen that's in 2/8 time...pretty wierd.

Chris Rice's Living Room Sessions, a book of hymn arrangements, is a really fun book to play around with, for anyone who would like to know.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
-C.S. Lewis
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I took piano lessons for a few years in high school and loved it, and continued to play when I went to college at the piano in our lounge...but then when I moved out of the dorms and no longer had access to a piano...I quit. About a month ago I bought a piano and have been playing every day trying to remember everything I have forgotten. I'm getting a little better--but it is very slow progress..... :(