The Barclays

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Sputnik wrote:I hate 'Living in the Grey'! It shows Jimmy turned bad, that's so ugly! Why did they make him move away, anyway? Whats wrong with Odyssey?
Some one actully agrees with me? I thought I was the only person who didn't like it. :-k
...I hate marquees.
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

No, I agree.
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
free_born
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by free_born »

So do I. ;)
I like long walks, espescially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I liked Living in the Grey! It was great to hear from George and Jimmy again, and it was realistic. It is painful to hear Jimmy muddling his way to trouble, but not all nice Christian kids manage to stay that way all through life. There are a lot of grey areas that you have to work through, and I think that this ep showed some of those areas. It had some funny moments, too, like Connie's line, "Let's nail the perp!...I think it's short for something." Her stake-out song was great too! :-
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

J-man wrote:
Sputnik wrote:I hate 'Living in the Grey'! It shows Jimmy turned bad, that's so ugly! Why did they make him move away, anyway? Whats wrong with Odyssey?
Some one actully agrees with me? I thought I was the only person who didn't like it. :-k
I hated it.
Priscilla

<><
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Frodo wrote:
J-man wrote:
I hated it.
Why didn't you like it? :-k I'd like to hear the reasons why it is dislike by so many people.
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

It's nothing personal, but I've never liked the Barclays.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I don't think the Barclays will be offended or take it personally. :lol:
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I love the Barclays! It would be awesome to hear from them again! Jimmy is my favorite character in the family, and I just loved hearing from him recently. I think it would be great to hear from Stuart. Now that he's probably in his teens, it would be cool if he came to Odyssey for a visit with his family.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Taken from Frank's Breakfast Inn

May 18
Living in the Gray, Part 1

May 19
Living in the Gray, Part 2
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Chandler wrote:Taken from Frank's Breakfast Inn

May 18
Living in the Gray, Part 1

May 19
Living in the Gray, Part 2
Oh...thank you. :D You should all go and hear the ep. I really liked it. (And I liked how Jimmy sounds exactly the same as when his voice first changed...)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Your attitude on these threads has been annoying me. I believe I posted earlier today that it is possible to express your opinions with respect.

To answer your questions, they had the Barclay's move away as George took a pastoring job in Pokenberry Falls (and yes that was in a different ep, but it does answer your question). Also, they had Jimmy 'turn bad' for a reason. Well, several actually. To get the point of the episode across they had to use a character we care about, in this case Jimmy. We saw Jimmy come to the end of himself, and as a result come back to God and admit to his Dad things were rough.

I fail to see the problem.
Me wrote:I believe that one of the main ones was that they ran out of storylines for them. They had gone through allmost everything, and there was nothing left for them.
There were a couple reasons. First, they really didn't run out of storylines. The problem was (according to the Complete Guide) is that the family on that side of the radio was now dealing with different issues. Jimmy and Donna were now teenagers, which really didn't work too well considering AIO was originally aimed towards kids in the pre-teen age range. Second (and I think someone mentioned this) is that Chuck Bolte was leaving the show.

As for my opinion of the Barclays, I like them. They were one of many things that endeared me to the show when I first started listening. I do hope we hear from them again soon, especially since we only heard from half the family in Living in the Gray.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Ahh. I see. It's been a while since I've read the complete guide.

I found Living in the Grey to be a very enjoyable episode. Any time we hear from one of the Barclays, it generally seems to be a good episode.
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

I like the barcley family. Their my favorite family in odessey! I just hated seeing Jimmy act that way. :x
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
free_born
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by free_born »

Like I said, Sputnik, your avvie fits you.

I thought 'Living in the Grey' was alright, except that I was somewhat disappointed in Jimmy's behavour.
I like long walks, espescially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

free_born wrote:Like I said, Sputnik, your avvie fits you.

I thought 'Living in the Grey' was alright, except that I was somewhat disappointed in Jimmy's behavour.
Well, I think that was the point. A lot of PKs end up going through really rough times in their lives like that. It's usually mostly out of rebellion, though.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

OrigamiKid wrote:Jimmy is my favorite in the broccoli family. He is the second oldest always being bossed around by "Big Sister."

~OrigamiKid
Broccoli???????
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Haha, a great reference to the episode, Our Daily Bread, I believe. In this particular episode, a female receptionist called George Barclay, "Mr. Broccoli." I always found the lady rather amusing. :lol:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I liked Jimmy the best in the barclay family. The others are ok..
...I hate marquees.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Haha, a great reference to the episode, Our Daily Bread, I believe. In this particular episode, a female receptionist called George Barclay, "Mr. Broccoli." I always found the lady rather amusing. :lol:
I believe that lady said some different mangling of their name...the "Broccoli family" is what Don Iowa said in Aloha, Oy. :lol:

I liked Mr. Barclay, but the kids weren't my favorite since they seemed to hate and talk really ugly to each other in almost all of their episodes. :doubt: