Memorizing

What is the hardest thing you've had to memorize

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Memorizing

Post by gimp80995 »

Here are a couple.

I USE to think this one was hard

And God spake all these words, saying,

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his Balaam's friend, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Exodus 20:1-17

As I said, I USE to think that was hard.........until I got to this:

By the Grace of God, I will be pure, kind, and ture.

I will keep the Pathfinder Law

I will be a servant of God

And a Friend to man.

The Pathfinder Law is for me to:

Kepp the morning watch

Do my honest part

Care for my body

Keep a level eye

Be courteous and obediant

Walk softly in the sanctuary

Keep a song in my heart

And go on God's earrands

By the Grace of God means Only as we rely on God to help us can we do His will.

I will be pure means I will fill my mind with everything that is right and true and spend my time in activities that will build a strong, clean character.

I will be kind means I will be considerate and kind, not only to my fellow man, but also to all of God's creation.

I will be true means I will be honest and upright in study, work and play and can always be counted upon to do my very best.

I will keep the Pathfinder law means I will seek to understand the meaning of the Law and will strive to live up to it's spirit, realizing that obedience to law is essential in any organization

I will be a servant of God means I will pledge myself to serve God first, last, and best in everything I am called upon to be or do.

And be a friend to man means I will live to bless others and do unto them as I would have them do unto me.

Kepp the morning watch is for me to have prayer and personal bible study each day.

Do my honest part means By the power of God I will help others, and do my duty and my honest share, wherever I may be.

Care for my body means I will be temperate in all things and strive to reach a higher standard of physical fitness.

Keep a level eye means I will not lie, cheat or deceive, and will despise dirty talk or evil thinking.

Be courteous and obediant means I will be kind and thoughtful of others, reflecting the love of Jesus in all my association with others.

Walk softly in the sanctuary means In any devotional exercise I will be quiet, careful and reverent.

Keep a song in my heart means I will be cheerful and happy and let the influence of my life be as sunshine to others.

And go on God's earrands means I will always be ready to share my faith and go about doing good as Jesus did.

The second one wouldn't be that hard if I could "ad-lib" it when it comes down to ______ means ______.........but you have to say it all word for word.........now for most exercises we don't go through the whole thing (Just up to where I quit with the one-liners)..........however we had to be able to do the whole thing word-for-word.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I don't really find memorizing hard. Perhaps the hardest was Isiah 53. Or was it 52. I can't remember. It was in sixth grade.
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Memorizing isn't too hard for me either. It was Isaiah 53, I remembered that aswell. Maybe my hardest was the Gettysburg Address... :p
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth according to the measure of every par or something like that i cant even remember the reference
im in bible quizzing
http://www.pentecostalyouth.org/bq/index.htm :D [/i]
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I'm not sure how hard it was for me to memorize this one, but it probably was.

Matthew 28:18-20

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying,
"All authority has been given to me in heaven ond on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I used to memorize scripts for drama, which are really long but thankfully you only need to remember small chunks at a time. You are reminded me your next line when someone else says theirs.

The longest monologue I ever had to memorize was probably something from Richard III. I don't remember a word of it anymore.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I was going to participate Bible Quiz this past year with an A/G church, but it never worked out. However, now I have 6-7 chapters of Matthew hidden in my heart.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Stars and Stripes.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Romans 6-7. That was significantly tougher for me than Matthew 5-7.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Henry V: Take pity of your town and of your people, while yet my soldiers are in my command. While yet the cool and temperate wind oerbloers the filthy and contagious clouds of heady, murder, spoil and villiany. If not, why in a moment look to see......err--that one gets kinda graphic, so I'll stop.

Othello: I did consent, and often did beguile her of her tears when I did speak of some distressful storke that my youth suffered. my story being done, she gave me for my pain a world of kisses. She swore on faith, twas strange, twas passing strange. Twas pitiful, twas wondrous pitiful. She wished she had not heard it, yet she wished heaven had made her such a man. She thanked me and bade me if I had a friend that loved her, I should but teach him how to tell my story and that would woo her. Upon this hint I spake. She loved me for the dangers I had passed, and I loved her that she did pity them. This only is the witchcraft I have used.

Those are the only memorizations I actually remember. I played the fairy queen in A Midsummer Night's Dream and memorized those lines, but I don't remember them.......
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Shadowpaw wrote:I used to memorize scripts for drama,
Weird, I never really had a problem memorizing scripts
Shadowpaw wrote:You are reminded me your next line when someone else says theirs.
That's probably why :D

Note: Exodus 20: 1-17 I considered hard as I was about 14 or 15 when I had to memorize it for class............took me 45 mins to learn.

The second one on my list (aka The Pathfinder pledge, law, and explanation for the law) took me over a week.........learning the pledge and law (the one liners) took me like 20 minutes.........learning the explanation of the law took over a week.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Probably the time I had to memorize approximately 50 terms for biology. ](*,)

My sister current does Bible quizzing and she's memorized practically all of Matthew.

:thud:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

I don't recall this one taking me very long (maybe a few days), but it was also fairly difficult

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.

All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,

I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Matthew 25: 31-46

Peace Out

-Gimp