The Soda Fountain

Major Update!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Wow, Shadowpaw! That is awesome! Thank you SOOO much! This will be a great resource for me to use with AIO.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I love it! Nice work Shadowpaw!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I love it! \:D/ This is great and the site looks great. The artwork on the side gives it a great look.

Also the future Additions sound great like being able to rate Eps and Albums so we can really find out what's people's favorite really is.
Last edited by Bmuntz on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Shadowpaw, this is so awesome! I love the new website!
Johndell
Tallying up

Post by Johndell »

Shadowpaw wrote:Everyone,

Well as most of you know, I've been counting down to the anniversary of the Town of Odyssey in much the same way I counted down to the birth of this message board. The countdown has now expired and I would like everyone to check out the latest and greatest addition to the Adventures in Odyssey internet phenomenon! At the risk of repeating myself, I'll simply redirect everyone to The Soda Fountain for everyone to have a look and see what great new possibilities await us! :)
its awsome! much easier to nav, plus it looks so modern!
The ToO is mine! *LAUGHS SIGNATURE EVIL VILLIAN LAUGHES EVIL LAUGH AFTER COMMITING AN EVIL ACT* k I'm good now
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Looks awesome, great job Shadowpaw. \:D/
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Hello Everyone,

Well, time to review the site: :)

For the past few years, I've actually been doing most of what's been tingled with at the new and improved Soda Fountain...but simply by hand. I have a large duotang that I've collected every statistic and character appearance out there. What's my point? My point is that Shadowpaw created a convenient and superb website that, for the a large part, depicts the Odyssey site that I always wish there was. And for that--Congrats. You made the Internet world of Odyssey fun once more.

However, now that you've opened yourself to adding newer and brighter things on the website, I'm sure it'll be a blast looking at the newer additions to come. If I had more time, I'd be giving more ideas.

You almost lost my faith when I looked at the character statistics page and noticed Mandy only was only in 26 episodes! But, then I read that some of those statistics aren't done yet. I sincerely hope they're finished before the 2nd half of the season starts.

I found a great addition to the website to be the description of each character underneath there names. Sometimes I get confused which name did what (such as which of Eugene's relatives had a lisp ;)) Never again will we encounter the fan who begins a topic demanding, "Who is Austin O'Conner?" and "Where Can I hear from him?" or "Who played so-and-so actor?" or "Where else can I hear more of Xavier?" or "Which Album do we find a large quantity of Jimmy Barclay Episodes?" and with more additions will come more answers...

I actually believe that there should be a site that collects the AIO Fan Reviews in a much more organized way. I never was a great fan of the reviews being posted here after the aiohq.com stopped collecting them. The reviews here seem to get lost, and seem to be least important instead if they were on the front page of a website. I think that the new aiosf.com should maintain that tradition, letting the fans here continue there argument and discussion, but having there core reviews being tallied and grouped underneath within the page description of the episode. I'm thinking of a review page a cross between;
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808475642
and
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronic ... h_wardrobe

I guess I simply mean a place that would give an overall fan rating of the episode--where after we listen to the episode, we can vote how many stars we think it should have, and the site would constantly talying up the ratings given and simply give the average/overall star-rating next to each show based on what fans thought of it. That way, a fan can know what everyone principally said without having to read the reviews. And it would serve a great purpose...

This option should be offered for every show, so that people could simply go vote for any particular episode in the series whenever they felt like it (without having to write a review, of course)(The voting system would have to be clear but detailed enough). And after a few months, once every episode has been voted for enough, a new category in the "statistics" page could begin, and order the episode according to highest rated.

And of course, I always loved the aiohq.com page that had us write our top-ten episodes and tallied the votes and gave an official list of our most enjoyed shows. The problem with this is that after we submitted our votes, we could never have any favorite episodes after that. I mean, I submitted my opinion on that page 5 years ago, but it doesn't mean they're the same top-ten shows I enjoy now. Dozens of shows have aired since, but, sadly, I can't change the list. If there was some way to have an official list of the top enjoyed shows by fans, but have us simply rate each show and have it based on the order of highest rated shows, then that would a great feature indeed.

Here's a question;

According to my list, Mandy has appeared in 41 episodes. However, in episodes 437a:"The Long Way Home" and 437b:"The Telltale Cat" are split episodes, but part of the same number: "437". Now, do you count that as one episode, or two episodes? Because if you count it as two, then she's appeared in 42 episodes. However, if you counted each title as an episode, then there just aren't 595 episodes; there are more, correct?

Here's how I see it: If a character has appeared in one split episode out of two, then it counts as 1. Obviously, it wouldn't count as a half, because she's made an appearence. However, if she's appeared in both adventures, then it should still be counted as one. I don't know how you did it, but I figured maybe you mightv'e decided to count being in both split adventures as two different episodes you appeared in...

Anyways, I had a little more to add. But overall, it's a great site, and I'll be sure to use it once all the little tweaks have been...tweaked.

Again, good job Shadowpaw. :) You made my month.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Thanks for all your comments everyone :). Please let me know if you have any issues with the site (apparently the named anchors don't work in the Safari browser, for whatever reason, so if you click on "John Avery Whittaker" for example, it loads the "J" page and doesn't go directly to his name). I haven't had this happen in any browser but Safari so far, and I'm not sure why it doesn't work :(.

And to address a couple of your comments Broadcast... the reviews will be added shortly along with a detailed episode page (those are the next two on my priorities list). This page lists the character appearance number, the actor (so you don't need to click on the name to find out who played them) and will eventually be home for the goofs/notes/quotes/trivia etc... As for fan reviews, I have two options here. One is to let people directly submit reviews to the site along with a rating (an idea I like, but then defeats the purpose of the episode review section here) or two, somehow enter the review thread ID from THIS board and have the reviews displayed in the detailed episode page of the Soda Fountain. Unfortunately you get some chatter between reviews that aren't "real" reviews, but this is something I want to look at... as is letting users rate episodes themselves and sort episodes based on that category. I could create a hybrid where I go out and link them back to the Soda Fountain, but the aim of this site is to automate as much as possible... the problem I always encounter with my site is I reach a point in time where the effort to do something seems to outweigh the benefits. By creating a system where all the work is done for me (after I create the initial code of course) then my job is quite a lot easier and things will be done consistently and in a timely manner.

The review/user rating thing is an aspect of the site I'll explore more in the summer.

As for your split episodes question, it bugs me too. Currently the system calculates each split episode as one individual episode, since it technically IS a different episode, even though it's shorter. The problem is compounded because "In Your Wildest Dreams" mixes and matches several split episodes that are not in the same configuration as they were when they aired. It's not impossible to find a different method of calculating the total, but the total right now calculates each unique episode ID as an individual episode which is why if you appeared in 441a and 441b, you were in two separate stories... thus two separate credits.

And for those curious, there are currently 69 episodes left to have character/actor information added to the database (which means I'm now at 88% complete!). The episodes are as follows:

Amazing Grace
O.T. Action News: Jephthah's Vow
The Jokes on You
When In Doubt... Pray!
Patrick: A Heart Afire I
Patrick: A Heart Afire II
Bernard and Job
More Like Alicia
Arizona Sunrise
Faster Than a Speeding Ticket
Hide and Seek
Natural Born Leader
B-TV: Forgiveness
In All Things Give Thanks
A Lesson From Mike
The Devil Made Me Do It
Buried Sin
Gloobers
The Tower
Another Man's Shoes
Telemachus I
Telemachus II
Passages I
Passages II
The Buck Starts Here
The Virtual Kid
You Win Some, You Lose Some
B-TV: Redeeming the Season
Sunset Bowlawater
Long Way Home
Lyin' Tale
Telltale Cat
B-TV: Grace
Two Roads
Sticks and Stones
Changing Rodney
The Bad Guy
No Boundaries
A Matter of Manners
The Seven Deadly Dwarves
Potlucks & Poetry
Bethany's Flood
The Big Deal I
The Big Deal II
The Great Wishy Woz I
The Great Wishy Woz II
Best Laid Plans
The Worst Day Ever
Slumber Party
B-TV: Obedience
Shining Armor I
Shining Armor II
O.T. Action News: Battle at the Kishon
The American Revelation I
The American Revelation II
B-TV: Behind the Scenes
My Girl Hallie
Called on in Class
The Girl in the Sink
Bernard and Saul
Nothing But the Half Truth
Split Ends
Sounds Like a Mystery
Fairy Tal-e-vision
Potential Possibilities
Call Me if You Care
A Lamb's Tale
The Last 'I Do'
The Power of One
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Wiki-Type review system is what i'm looking forward too. People will see how dedicated some odyssey fans are, and it helps Shadowpaw with some of his work.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Pure awsomeness! :D *will deffently link to the Soda Fountain when he get's his site done*
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Is that supposed to say that Paul McCusker played John Whittaker? :?
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Awesome. My long awaited question has been answered. I thought Howard Morris (Ernest T bass on Andy Griffith show) was Ellis Burch. And now,I see on AIOSF, he was.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Dave wrote:Is that supposed to say that Paul McCusker played John Whittaker? :?
Haha that's been fixed now... after long hours of transferring information from the old one to the new one, you just get into the routine and selecting Paul McCusker instead of Paul Herlinger is no surprise ;). There's probably other similar mistakes scattered about, so if something doesn't seem right... please let me know!
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Well, there is this one thing that doesn't seem right. ;)

Awesome site! \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Hey Shadowpaw can we have the enlarged version of that preview screenshot now? And also is there a links section in the works? And like a registered user thing for the comments/reviews thing?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Shadowpaw you never fail to inspire me.. It makes me want to go learn mysql.. I know some php now, which is nice.
...I hate marquees.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Just curious... why is there an Amanda (a) and Amanda (c) listed but no Amanda (b)? http://aiosf.com/characters_index.php?char_id=235#235

Also the text for Amanda (c) says "A girl in who attends Whit's church." :anxious:

If they're looking into the future, wouldn't it be "Melanie DeWhite"? :-k
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Chandler wrote:Just curious... why is there an Amanda (a) and Amanda (c) listed but no Amanda (b)? http://aiosf.com/characters_index.php?char_id=235#235

Also the text for Amanda (c) says "A girl in who attends Whit's church." :anxious:

If they're looking into the future, wouldn't it be "Melanie DeWhite"? :-k
There's an Amanda (b) that appears in "Lights Out at Whit's End" that still needs to be added (she is different from a and c). I have a list of characters that were not added (for one reason or another) that will be added later.

I fixed the typo and you would be right about Melanie deWhite except Melanie is the daughter of Mandy in Connie's imagination... Connie would not have imagined Mandy was married to Trent, so Melanie would not have had his last name (it probably wouldn't be Straussberg either). If the episode actually took place in the future, than yes, it would be deWhite.

However, it does remind me to adjust Brandon's name from "The Present Long Ago" to Brandon deWhite. Speaking of which, the name Brandon was never given in "The Present Long Ago"... neither was Lynn in "Pamela Has a Problem". There are many names in the database you won't find anywhere else but the actual script ;).
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Haha, true. Though I knew about Lynn because she is mentioned in the Complete Guide. ;)
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I read all the previous posts, but don't remember seeing it... are you going to add a picture of the actor to the database? \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny