Slice of Life or Adventures?

You don't have to like one to the exclusion of the other, just which one do you prefer?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which one do you like?

Slice of life
43%
Adventures
57%

Total votes: 23

crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Slice of Life or Adventures?

Post by crosskritters »

Do you like the Novacom/Blackard eps or the wonder world, life application eps?

--Kat
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I like adventures better
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I prefer the slice of life eps. They're usually more realistic, and easier to identify with.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It depends. I really loved the Novacom Saga. I guess I will have to go with adventures.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

As a general rule, I find adventures to be more enjoyable. I also love slice of life eps, but after DBD, no slice of life has been able to top adenture (IMO).
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I really liked the Novacom Saga too. So I'd have to go with adventure too.

Though in some cases, I prefer slice of life. :) IT depends on the mood I am in. Which varries. Hourly. XD

Sarah
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I must say that I like the adventures better. However, as your disclaimer states, I wouldn't want to have ALL adventures and no slice of life. Without slice of life eps the adventures become soap opera sensationalism. But on the other hand, without adventures/mysteries etc. the slice of life becomes a little dull.

Cheerio
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

While I certainly enjoy more fantastical episodes, such as the Blackgaard Saga or the Novacom Arc, I certainly enjoy the "slice of life" ones as well. Episodes such as "Two Sides to Every Story" and "Sunday Morning Scramble" simply tell it like it is . . . the essence of the story always points back to the more simple and common aspects of life--those things everyone experiences at some time or another. :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I like the adventures better.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I voted for Adventure, even though sometimes the "slice of life" can be cute too........though I really am not into AIO as much as I once was........I still listen on occasion, but not everyday........sometimes not even once a week.

Peace Out

-Gimp
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Slice of life-type episodes give us good character development--people react differently, after all, to being late for work than to learning an organization is trying to take over the world.
Adventure/Saga-type episodes give us more development, just in vastly different circumstances, as well as our RDA of random action-y ness.
So, I like both roughly equally as long as they're well done.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I can't vote, I like a good mix.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I like the adventure shows better because more of them are among my most favorite shows ever. But AIO wouldn't be AIO if it were all adventure. It's those "regular" shows that provide a solid foundation and base from which to launch the adventures.
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

I forgot to give you my openion. I like slice of life much more. Novacom and Blackard are OK, but I could do without. I think that the Imagination Station, Room of Consiquence etc. give enough adventure to keep it from being boring.

Batteries not included.

--Kat
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I enjoy a good storyline mixed in with a slice of life episode.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Adventure I like hearing and there to make things intresting but slice of life is what Odyssey the odyssey feel. If all we heard was plots to take over the world it would get very boring. Its just you need both together to make Odyssey work the way it does.
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

The adventures are better but it wouldn't be Odyssey without the slice of life episodes. They are what make the show good.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I enjoy both adventures and slice-of-life episodes. But not Imagination Station/Room of Consequences episodes. They simply don't seem real, and the actions the characters take while inside those machines don't have any lasthing consequences or momentum, since their adventures are over at the moment they exit....except for those life-changing decisions and lessons and such...
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:since their adventures are over at the moment they exit....except for those life-changing decisions and lessons and such...
First of all, the second part of that sentence seems to contradict the first part. Secondly, I'd argue that, even though their 'adventure' ends once they exit the machine, that doesn't mean that it doesn't affect the characters. A wonderful example is Back to Bethlehem Part 3 and the Mortal Coil for Eugene. Both contained steps toward his making the decision he did in The Time Has Come, which also dealt with the IS.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jonathan wrote:
Elf of Rivendell wrote:since their adventures are over at the moment they exit....except for those life-changing decisions and lessons and such...
First of all, the second part of that sentence seems to contradict the first part. Secondly, I'd argue that, even though their 'adventure' ends once they exit the machine, that doesn't mean that it doesn't affect the characters. A wonderful example is Back to Bethlehem Part 3 and the Mortal Coil for Eugene. Both contained steps toward his making the decision he did in The Time Has Come, which also dealt with the IS.
I think she's agreeing with you about the impact. Who can deny that "The Imagination Station" had a large impact on Digger Digwillow? Or shows like "An Adventure in Bethany," "Moses: The Passover," and "Isaac the True Friend" impacting people's relationships/actions.
Of course I think Room of Consequence is even more designed to teach lessons. There's Jimmy's adventure in "Into Temptation," Liz's many exploits in that machine (birthday, thoughts, peer pressure), Erica Clark and her soap opera...
And don't forget the Transmuter with Jared traveling in Brock's shoes.