Will You Be Joining The OAC?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Will You Be Signing Up For Odyssey Adventure Club?

Absolutely!
11%
Most Likely
5%
Probably Not
32%
Flat-Out Refuse
52%

Total votes: 44

Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Dallas R. wrote:Families would do much better to spend $15 a month to buy 12 new albums each year and then have the entire collection in 5 years.
You're still thinking like a long-time fan. Set aside for a moment how awesome you already know Odyssey to be and think like a parent who has no interest in listening to/watching a children's program for any longer than his/her own children are in the target age. It doesn't matter to this parent how much they could have bought over the same time with the same amount of money because they're not interested in keeping any of the episodes.

Imagine for a minute a parent whose child has just asked for Adventures in Odyssey. They look over the program, decide it's acceptable for their child, see that their child is in the target age range, then glance over and see their DVD collection overflowing with Barney, Dora, Veggie Tales, Sesame Street, etc. Countless DVD's that the kids have outgrown take up space in their living room. Here's a way for their children to get the full benefits of Odyssey without having to invest in a collection their children (so they think) will inevitably outgrow and give up. You and I know that "investing" in a collection would actually be the cheaper route, but that's not what the parent is looking for. At least with the OAC they get a children's magazine, too.

I'm not saying I like it. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of their target audience. Actually, I think it's a really great idea except for the fact that they're releasing exclusive episodes through the club. If they had a different way to give the exclusive episodes to us long-time fans they would really be on to something.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote: You're still thinking like a long-time fan. Set aside for a moment how awesome you already know Odyssey to be and think like a parent who has no interest in listening to/watching a children's program for any longer than his/her own children are in the target age. It doesn't matter to this parent how much they could have bought over the same time with the same amount of money because they're not interested in keeping any of the episodes.
You're right. I am seeing it like a long-time fan. I get that. But I can't see how signing your kids up for a $180 club is any shorter-term in thinking. If we really want to think as parents, we would be more like mine. My episodes came from the radio. My parents made sure that I didn't have to do chores or homework during the 30 minute radio slot. But that was it. No buying me albums, and especially not buying me an expensive club. At age 9 I won a gift card from the radio station to the Christian book store and bought my first album by myself. It wasn't that my parents didn't like Odyssey, but it is as you said. They didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I would probably outgrow in a few years. The radio and online player- those are great options for parent's looking to save money. I don't see the club as that option.

I don't want to seem too hostile, because at the root of it, I think we both agree. The club is a good idea, especially for new fans who want to catch up. We both don't like the exclusive episodes. But simply based on that issue, I cannot and will not see this club as a positive thing. I can see positive elements, but overall the club is significantly flawed.

Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

um........that brings up a good question.........are they going to discontinue the radio time and online player with the weekday and weekend eps??? If so, and the club is the only way to listen to even one episode a day from the net or radio, then I will really be upset. Until I came to Sweden and bought all the albums, I listened daily and collected the albums as I could. I would imagine based on the time I heard it, that it comes on during many family´s dinner times and helps settle the kids down to listen as they eat and then discuss afterwards.

-- 04 Nov 2013 04:32 pm --
Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:
You are all looking at this OAC from the perspective of long-time fans and collectors. Sure, from that perspective it doesn't make sense. The only things we want to collect from this are the exclusive episodes and the limited episodes (such as the Harley episodes), and those don't seem to be worth the price. If you look at it from the perspective of the target audience--a family with young children looking for an entertainment option for your children, you may have heard of AIO or even heard a few epidisodes, but you don't own any episodes. $15 a month to provide wholesome entertainment for your children is really a pretty good deal.

Having said all that, the Adventure Club is not ideal for me. I would suggest an alternative where the new and exclusive episodes are available for purchase. Or, an additional benefit of being a club member is to download one episode per month so you have a collection at the end of your subscription.
I am not a tech wiz but don´t many DVR´s have the ability to then transfer what you have saved to DVD or USB? I keep saying if they just put the "exclusive" eps on iTunes for purchase/download, I would be perfectly happy. And being able to listen and download them should be a club privilege for the price they are already paying. I have no problem with that. However, if the Harley eps are only available to the club, I will really be upset. ](*,)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Dallas R. wrote: I don't want to seem too hostile, because at the root of it, I think we both agree. The club is a good idea, especially for new fans who want to catch up. We both don't like the exclusive episodes. But simply based on that issue, I cannot and will not see this club as a positive thing. I can see positive elements, but overall the club is significantly flawed.
Exactly! Different people like different things and differenfamilies with pay for different things. I guess we'll all find out how many families are willing to pay for the OAC soon enough.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Dallas R. wrote: I don't want to seem too hostile, because at the root of it, I think we both agree. The club is a good idea, especially for new fans who want to catch up. We both don't like the exclusive episodes. But simply based on that issue, I cannot and will not see this club as a positive thing. I can see positive elements, but overall the club is significantly flawed.
Exactly! Different people like different things and differenfamilies with pay for different things. I guess we'll all find out how many families are willing to pay for the OAC soon enough.
Exactly! Bonus material, interviews, videos of the making of the eps, etc. That is all good for the club, go for it! My primary objection is being left out of the new episodes which could just as easily be put on the radio as part of the ministry or at the very least on iTunes (I keep saying iTunes because CBD does not work overseas).
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

jennifertwt wrote:
Exactly! Bonus material, interviews, videos of the making of the eps, etc. That is all good for the club, go for it! My primary objection is being left out of the new episodes which could just as easily be put on the radio as part of the ministry or at the very least on iTunes (I keep saying iTunes because CBD does not work overseas).
CBD does work outside of the states, you just have to be clever about it, I've used it many times
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

CBD works in Canada, not Sweden, or I am guessing any other country outside North America. I have even tried paying with an American bank and credit card.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

jennifertwt wrote:CBD works in Canada, not Sweden, or I am guessing any other country outside North America. I have even tried paying with an American bank and credit card.
CBD does NOT work in Canada but as I said there are ways around that, the same is true for Sweden or any other country
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

hm.........if it comes to that you will have to send me a private message. I just hope the Harley files are not ONLY on the club stream...........that would be totally unfair.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Mr. Sunnys
Gold Member

Post by Mr. Sunnys »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Nope. I have other things I'd rather spend my money on, and besides, even if I did have $180 extra dollars at my disposal, I can't justify spending that much for 12 episodes.
It's 180 a year. I think it's like 20 a month or something. I will be joining. All 700+ episodes at MY disposal at ALL TIMES!? Anyone who doesn't get it has to be crazy.
"My avatar is awesome."
"You are lame, and so is your dog."
Romans 8:28 ~~Sunnys~~ <BIBLE|---
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Anyone who says that anyone who doesn't get it is crazy is unaware of facts. For people who already have every episode in hard copy form, the club is not an economically sound idea. Think about it dude.

Edit--And check your math. It's $15, not 20 something.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Mr. Sunnys wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:Nope. I have other things I'd rather spend my money on, and besides, even if I did have $180 extra dollars at my disposal, I can't justify spending that much for 12 episodes.
It's 180 a year. I think it's like 20 a month or something. I will be joining. All 700+ episodes at MY disposal at ALL TIMES!? Anyone who doesn't get it has to be crazy.
Because we can all get fifteen bucks a month to pay for something many of us either already have or don't want to have because we're selective. :yes: Other expenses? What are those?

We already have over half the albums, either on cassette tape or on CD. Any episodes I want that badly, I can go buy them for two bucks on iTunes instead of paying fifteen bucks a month just for free access to them. Maybe I'm just that picky, but I'm quite frankly not interested in hearing all the episodes, and even if I were, I wouldn't pay fifteen bucks a month for something I maybe have a small fraction of time to try to do. iTunes it is, it would seem. :yes:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

What's bothersome about the OAC is that you've got to pay $180 a year--which is quite a bit of money--and it's not like you even get to *keep* the episodes. With that money, think of how many albums I could get. If I'm only able to listen to that when I have an Internet connection, I'd be very, very limited in when and where I could listen.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I wish we could fast forward six months to a year and see how this is going to play out. I have a friend in the third world who says the Club will completely cut him off from Odyssey. I urged him to send in his viewpoint to Brock at Focus. We have not heard if the radio broadcast will continue with reruns, but even if it does, it will probably never contain the OAC eps, and if it does it will be years. I am 48. Time is limited, and so is my wallet. I had told myself I was going to stop following Odyssey when the Club launched, but now I don´t know. I want to know if there is "news". It is a tough choice. There are alot of things that take one´s time and attention. I think, the Club, might actually urge marginal fans who are not joining to spend that time focusing on other things, which would be counterproductive to their intent. Ah, well, could go on, and we have rahashed this to death. All we can do is pray for a quick change in policy. If the Club goes beyond a year or especially if the Harley files are ONLY available to the club, then I am definitely through. That is like saying that sticking with the show for 25 years and waiting for the Harley files is worth nothing to the producers.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

jennifertwt wrote:That is like saying that sticking with the show for 25 years and waiting for the Harley files is worth nothing to the producers.
True that. *nods*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

New Email I got yesterday
Thanks, James, for replying to our message and for your ongoing interest in our Odyssey Adventure Club.

In response to your question, you might be interested to know that we plan to release the episodes featuring Officer Harley only through our club. As a bit of background, this decision was made in part because the stories involving Harley were later re-worked for other Odyssey episodes. We didn’t want listeners, then, to purchase an Officer Harley set only to be disappointed that the plotlines too closely resemble other stories. Those participating in the club, of course, would be receiving the set free of charge.

That being said, it’s certainly possible the Officer Harley episodes could someday be available for purchase were there sufficient demand. For that reason, feedback like yours is critical, and you may be assured that your inquiry will be given the attention it deserves.

Again, thanks for contacting us, and we hope you’ll keep listening to Odyssey. Blessings!

Jeremy Hill
Focus on the Family

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

. .oh, boy.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

that´s it for me.................I have personally requested the Harley files be released for YEARS! This is a slap in the face. My Swedish husband is now calling it "The Snob Club".
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Those participating in the club, of course, would be receiving the set free of charge.
That's slightly dishonest. No such thing as a free lunch, and all that. Plus you have to pay for at least one month to get it.

And Jimmy, where are you writing where you actually get a response? Brock has taken to ignoring me, and I still have a few questions I'd like answered.
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I posted my sentiments on the Adventures in Odyssey facebook page, but they will probably be deleted. This just adds a perfect ending to an already horrible day. Thank you Focus and AIO.

-- 17 Dec 2013 08:11 pm --
Jonathan wrote:
Those participating in the club, of course, would be receiving the set free of charge.
That's slightly dishonest. No such thing as a free lunch, and all that. Plus you have to pay for at least one month to get it.

And Jimmy, where are you writing where you actually get a response? Brock has taken to ignoring me, and I still have a few questions I'd like answered.
I still think there has to be a year contract involved. Plus, you still don´t own them.......they would make so much more money if they would release them on iTunes as well. You cannot tell me THAT is prevented by contracts! ](*,)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden