What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Laurie, I just looked up "Out of the Ruins," since you have such good taste in books, and it sounds really interesting! I'll have to look for it at my library.

I'm about to start "The Wrangler's Inconvenient Wife" by Lacy Williams. Not heavy reading ;) but it looks like it should be fun!
Catspaw, there is also a second book out entitled: Beyond the Ashes. I have not read it yet, but I will get to it eventually. A third book is coming but I don't know when as of yet.

I finished Keys of Heaven this morning. It is the second book in Adina Senft's Healing Grace trilogy/series. I spent all day yesterday reading it (I did go for a walk so I did get some exercise!! :D ;) ), very good. The third book is coming out 7/21, at least I don't have to wait a year to find out what happens next. =D>

Up next for me is Irish Meadows by Susan Anne Mason. It is the first book in her Courage to Dream trilogy/series. Another new author. I have been trying new authors lately and enjoying them very much. I really hope this continues as it is a lot of fun to discover new
authors, the only drawback being that it adds books to my ever growing, out of control to be read pile.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Laurie, I just looked up "Out of the Ruins," since you have such good taste in books, and it sounds really interesting! I'll have to look for it at my library.
Catspaw, there is also a second book out entitled: Beyond the Ashes. I have not read it yet, but I will get to it eventually. A third book is coming but I don't know when as of yet.
Thanks! That's good to know. It's kind of nice to discover a series a little later because I like reading them close together if I can.
Laurie wrote:I have been trying new authors lately and enjoying them very much. I really hope this continues as it is a lot of fun to discover new
authors, the only drawback being that it adds books to my ever growing, out of control to be read pile.
Tell me about it! I have that "problem" too. There are worse things in life than too many books, but I'm running out of room to put them all! :mad:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've added yet another author to my favorites list, Susan Anne Mason. I finished Irish Meadows and absolutely loved it!! Up next for me is Lizzy & Jane by Katherine Reay. I discovered online yesterday that she has a new book coming out in November.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed "Lizzy and Jane." I'll have to make sure to look for her new book soon! Her books are a little different, in an interesting kind of way, but are still happy enough for me to enjoy! ;)

I just got "The Curiosity Keeper" by Sarah Ladd in the mail yesterday, so of course I had to start it right away! It's great so far. I enjoyed her previous books a lot, and I was really looking forward to this one!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I enjoyed "Lizzy and Jane." I'll have to make sure to look for her new book soon! Her books are a little different, in an interesting kind of way, but are still happy enough for me to enjoy! ;)

I just got "The Curiosity Keeper" by Sarah Ladd in the mail yesterday, so of course I had to start it right away! It's great so far. I enjoyed her previous books a lot, and I was really looking forward to this one!
Lucky find Catspaw!! I am still waiting for that one to appear in bookstores, glad to hear it's good. I finished Lizzy & Jane last night, very good. I lost my mother to cancer so it did bring back some memories.
I've started A Bride for Keeps by Melissa Jagears, new author and first time read for me.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I enjoyed "Lizzy and Jane." I'll have to make sure to look for her new book soon! Her books are a little different, in an interesting kind of way, but are still happy enough for me to enjoy! ;)

Lucky find Catspaw!! I am still waiting for that one to appear in bookstores, glad to hear it's good. I finished Lizzy & Jane last night, very good. I lost my mother to cancer so it did bring back some memories.
I've started A Bride for Keeps by Melissa Jagears, new author and first time read for me.
I had pre-ordered "The Curiosity Keeper" online. My local bookstore is a little slow in new titles sometimes too. I did enjoy it, though in some ways I'm not sure if it's as good as her previous books. That might just be me, though. It was very enjoyable, but not amazing. I can see how "Lizzy and Jane" could bring back memories for those who can relate to the experiences. I hope you got good memories to go with the difficult ones, Laurie. :)

Last night I started (and then proceeded to finish) "Lady Maybe," the new Julie Klassen book. So good! Wow. It was technically morning by the time I was done :anxious: but I just couldn't stop reading! I highly recommend it. I think it's one of her best, and that's saying something! And I was happy to see that she has another book out in December, which is much sooner than usual!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:
Laurie wrote:

I had pre-ordered "The Curiosity Keeper" online. My local bookstore is a little slow in new titles sometimes too. I did enjoy it, though in some ways I'm not sure if it's as good as her previous books. That might just be me, though. It was very enjoyable, but not amazing. I can see how "Lizzy and Jane" could bring back memories for those who can relate to the experiences. I hope you got good memories to go with the difficult ones, Laurie. :)

Last night I started (and then proceeded to finish) "Lady Maybe," the new Julie Klassen book. So good! Wow. It was technically morning by the time I was done :anxious: but I just couldn't stop reading! I highly recommend it. I think it's one of her best, and that's saying something! And I was happy to see that she has another book out in December, which is much sooner than usual!
Again Catspaw, lucky find!! =D> I'm so envious I'm :drool:. I'm waiting for Lady Maybe too!! Glad to hear it is good, Ms. Klassen is one of my favorites. Yes, I have good to go with the difficult.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yesterday I zipped through "Always on my Mind" by Susan May Warren and today I'm starting the next book in the series, "The Wonder of You." I do not plan to allow myself to stay up late enough to finish it, however. :noway: We'll see how that goes. ;) I always enjoy Susan May Warren's books. No matter what genre she writes, it's always so good!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Bride for Keeps last night, excellent story. Another new author added to my list. :D I am now reading To Capture Her Heart by Rebecca DeMarino. It is the second book in her Southold Chronicles series/trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I'm reading Mockingjay again because of they new movie that's gonna come out! \:D/
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I'm about half-way through Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig. It's a fascinating and compelling critique of intellectual property law as it stood in 2004.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like some heavy reading, Nate, but also really interesting!

I read a novella by Beth K. Vogt that's a sequel to her first novel, "Wish You Were Here." The novella was called "You Made Me Love You." The book was really great but ended in such a way that the follow-up story is most welcome! It was a really nice story. It's actually been out for a while but I bought it and then forgot about it. :anxious: I found it when I went looking for the novella prequel story "Can't Buy Me Love") that's part of Beth K. Vogt's new Destination Weddings series. I got "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," her new book, in the mail and suddenly went, "Wait, wasn't there a Kindle story that I should read first?" And that's when I found the other story that I apparently had also totally forgotten about. Oops! I forget about Kindle stuff way faster than a real book - out of sight, out of mind is the way it goes for me sometimes! But now I'm getting all caught up...for now. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished To Capture Her Heart yesterday, excellent. Now I just have to wait for the next one, not going to be easy.:cry: I am now reading Love Unexpected by Jody Hedlund. It is the first book in her Beacons of Hope trilogy, very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm getting ready to read Melissa Jagear's new book, by reading the two books that come before it! I re-read "A Bride for Keeps" and re-reading "A Bride in Store" (both very good books!) so I feel like I remember everything properly to continue on to the new book. I don't always take the time to go back and re-read previous books in a series, just because it would take too long and by the end of a longer series, it would get a little ridiculous ;) but it's nice sometimes!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Love Unexpected, very good. I am now reading A Blessing for Miriam by Jerry S. Eicher. It is the second book in his Land of Promise trilogy. The third and final book in this trilogy comes out in October. Having to wait will drive me nuts but at least I don't have to wait until next year.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Currently listening through Lewis and Clark by William Lighton. I don't often read history, so it's a good change, and very enjoyable.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Reading Dog Days at the White House: The Outrageous Memoirs of the Presidential Kennel Keeper.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am reading Hearts Made Whole by Jody Hedlund. It is the second book in her Beacons of Hope series. Very good so far.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Listening through Walden by Henry David Thoreau, which is a rather surreal experience having recently completed Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The contrast in philosophy is marked, to say the least.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Working on A Tale of Two Cities. Not the most um... fast paced book I've ever read. But interesting.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?