Doctor Who Series Preview

I control you all. Fear me. Bow down to me.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

I fully agree. What do you think? Pushed or jumped?
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Definitely pushed. That definitely seems to be what Missy thinks.

Probably my biggest complaint about Capaldi is that he is so hard to understand. He speaks so quietly, that he nearly mumbles. I missed at least three of his lines because I just couldn't understand what he was saying.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

What is Docter Who? I know that it has something to do with the Tardis, and that that is where The Doctor, The Sixth Doctor, The Eleventh Doctor, and The Thirteenth Doctor got their usernames.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Doctor Who is a wonderful British sci fi TV show that originally began in the 60s, went until '89, then got rebooted in 2005. The main character is called the Doctor, and he travels through time and space in his TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space), sometimes with a companion

Till the end of the line.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

That. Was. Good.

I do feel like they really ground in the gay marriage thing. Whether folks believe it's right or not, you don't just put it all over the episode. Like, 'this is politically correct

we will get you used to this

you better understand them

oh look do you see them?

You don't do that in a story. With any message.

12 and the whole boyfriend thing. I loved it. And you can tell Capaldi is a Classic Who fan. ^^

The Woman at the End

• She'd better not be the master. I would be mad. :P

• She could be Tasha Lem I suppose. Tasha seemed flirty with him.

• I have this sinking feeling that it's some twisted version of Clara.

She was in Victorian clothes like Clara has been in two, three episodes now?

She called the Doctor her 'boyfriend' after we had just spent the episode talking though how the Doctor wasn't a boyfriend. I don't know. I'm just scared..I don't trust Moffat with my charries. *clutches charries to heart*

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

The Mysterious wrote:
What is Docter Who? I know that it has something to do with the Tardis, and that that is where The Doctor, The Sixth Doctor, The Eleventh Doctor, and The Thirteenth Doctor got their usernames.
If you want to introduce yourself, go watch the episode "Blink." \:D/
The King's Daughter wrote:
I do feel like they really ground in the gay marriage thing. Whether folks believe it's right or not, you don't just put it all over the episode. Like, 'this is politically correct

we will get you used to this

you better understand them

oh look do you see them?

You don't do that in a story. With any message.
Very well said, TKD.
As to the whole "One of us is lying about our basic programming" thing, I think the Doctor definitely pushed him. And I actually really like that. :- I just love Capaldi in general lol. He cuts a sharp, dangerous figure, which is a nice change. As much as I love Matt Smith, I was ready for a Doctor like Capaldi.
Last edited by Aeva on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Sorry, I just felt the need to share this with you all. I thought this new episode was kind of 'meh', but I'm keeping an open mind about it.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I liked the first ep okay, but Into the Dalek was amazing.

-- 31 Aug 2014 04:52 pm --

I can't wait until the next one--
Robin Hood!
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I definitely think "Into the Dalek" was better than the first one, but.... Could Saturday just get here already?! \:D/

The only problem is that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed because I have such high hopes for the next episode.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Woody

Post by Woody »

The Doctor totally murdered Russ! O_o

Oh, and Clanny <3

"You are a good Dalek"

My thoughts

And on next week:
No damsels in distress, no pretty castles, no such thing as Robin Hood.

THEORY: Robin Hood is the robot.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Well, I loved that one. \:D/ What a cutie. :inlove:
I think my combined favorite part was The Doctor winning the archery competition and then later confessing that his arrows had homing beacons. :lol:
I feel like this might be a recurring feature for me, but good grief, the next episode looks even more fabulous and possibly terrifying. \:D/
Last edited by Aeva on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The plot of this episode was lacking, but the humor totally made up for it. xD Seriously, the Doctor and Robin Hood's bantering? Amazing. Though probably my favorite line is:
"Ehhh, so many diseases. You'd only last about 6 months if you were real."

"But I am real!"
Listen looks absolutely fabulous. Another Moffat take on human fears, the thing under the bed...
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

"LISTEN."

My thoughts on this episode are kind of complicated lol. While watching it live, I was on the edge of my seat and pretty much spazzing, but then after the fact, after I started digesting it, I think it had much more potential than what was actually delivered.
I mean, I got seriously excited in the beginning when I thought there was going to be a race of aliens that have been living undetected on earth because they have perfected the art of hiding. I think that would have been a fabulous idea, and so when that didn't happen, I guess I was kind of disappointed. I loved the conjecture about why we talk aloud sometimes for no apparent reason and about why kids often think there's something under their bed. I suppose Moffat was just trying to be philosophical about fear, but it just didn't really work for me. I don't know, his episodes often seem to sacrifice plot for sensationalism. Like the scene in which Clara grabs the child Doctor's leg from under the bed. He's very good at using shock factor, and it works the first time. But then after it's over, you realize that there really wasn't all that much there after all.
Woody

Post by Woody »

OH. MY. GOSH. GUYS.

LISTEN. BLEW. MY. MIND.

*picks up the shreds of his mind and pieces them back together so as to write a review*
I love this episode. Plain and simple. It's in my top three for sure(right up there with The Eleventh Hour and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.) It combined everything I love about Doctor Who in a beautiful mesh of beauty... stuff. It had everything. Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey stuff, creepiness, a fabulous plot full of surprises, and a wonderful chance for your imagination to run wild.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Aeva. I think the ambiguity of the monster is exactly what fuels the tale. Because you really don't know what's under the bed. And perhaps we never will. I am of the belief that something may in fact come of it. But the way that you really don't know what the heck is going on is precisely what keeps you questioning. If you could see the monster, that would spoil what it is. The perfect hider. And if you knew what it was, why would you be scared of it? I personally loved the child Doctor scene. And I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but there was a slight foreshadowing of his distaste for soldiers...

Just a few quick things:

"Fear is a superpower" Love it =D

The Doctor stealing the coffee xD

The Pink Legacy... What does this mean? A history of time travel in the family? Does this mean Danny, or Clara? Or both? Hmmmm.... I can't wait to see how Pink Souffle turns out.
Last edited by Woody on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Woody wrote:
I have to disagree with you on this one, Aeva. I think the ambiguity of the monster is exactly what fuels the tale. Because you really don't know what's under the bed. And perhaps we never will. I am of the belief that something may in fact come of it. But the way that you really don't know what the heck is going on is precisely what keeps you questioning. If you could see the monster, that would spoil what it is. The perfect hider. And if you knew what it was, why would you be scared of it? I personally loved the child Doctor scene. And I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but there was a slight foreshadowing of his distaste for soldiers...
I actually don't disagree with you entirely. \:D/
I think ambiguity is a wonderful thing; I just don't think it was handled quite as well as it could have been. Some of the scenes were indeed excellent: the opening conjecture, the monster under the blanket, and the Doctor opening the door at the end, for instance. I think the episode just lost something in the middle. Like, I don't understand what was up with Danny and Clara. Sure it was cute, and I suppose it did help move the plot along, but the jumping back and forth made the episode feel slightly choppy to me. I mean, everything was terrifying and fear and aliens and stuff, and then BOOM more relationship drama. I assume the point was that Clara got distracted when she was attached to the interface, so the TARDIS took them to different points of Danny's timeline, but I guess that just seems unnecessary to me when Clara's timeline could have functioned just as well for plot purposes. Or maybe I just need to shut up and go to bed and watch it again lol. :-

TL;DR : The episode wasn't bad at all; it was really good. I just think it could have been even better if it was handled slightly differently.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Finally getting caught up. Into the Dalek had it's moments, but it wasn't necessarily a fave. I do like the introduction of Danny though. Robot of Sherwood was funny; getting more warmed up to this new regime

Till the end of the line.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Okay, so "Mummy on the Orient Express" is going down as one of my favorite episodes ever. \:D/ Easily the best of this season so far, imho.
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

I really need to catch up, but Hola VPN isn't working and I don't really want to buy it without knowing if I like it.

Oh well, there's always Amazon Instant Video, where I'll be able to stream it in three months or so.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I was honestly quite disappointed at the end of this week's episode by
Clara deciding to continue traveling with the Doctor. I was honestly hoping for a companion-only episode next week. Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be another Christmas Invasion, with the Doctor still being around. I've always wanted to see a companion on her own. Alas, maybe someday.

Though I was quite surprised and delighted by the Foretold's true nature.

And who was Gus? Missy, perhaps? The woman in the shop? She does know the TARDIS phone number....
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Woody wrote:
Clara deciding to continue traveling with the Doctor. I was honestly hoping for a companion-only episode next week. Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be another Christmas Invasion, with the Doctor still being around. I've always wanted to see a companion on her own. Alas, maybe someday.
That's a fascinating proposition. \:D/
Do you mean an episode kind of like "Blink"? Sally did most of the dirty work, although The Doctor helped her.
I've also seen some debate about whether the next companion should be an alien, which I think would be awesome.
Last edited by Aeva on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.