584: "Dead Ends"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you rate "Dead Ends?"

5 Stars
45%
4 Stars
47%
3 Stars
8%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 38

AIOfan11
Younger than you

584: "Dead Ends"

Post by AIOfan11 »

Discuss below, but no posting until Saturday! \:D/
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

Good episode! I liked it. I enjoyed hearing from Eugene's foster parents, we never really knew anything about them before. I liked Mrs. Brewnette (sp?), though I was not too fond of Mr. Brewnette. I liked the end when Eugene recognized Whit as a father figure for him. And then the very end in the scene with Leonard, my heart broke for Eugene when his dad said he had no children. There was something mysterious about the scene at the end. I can tell there is definitely going to be a story behind it.

I gave it 4 stars.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Very good, episode! =D> I gave it 5 stars. I really liked the mysterious ending.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Um.. I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy this episode near as much as the previous one. I was having trouble placing Eugene with his foster parents, and it didn't help that I never knew he had foster parents either. I did like the parts where he's talking with Whit though. anyway, I gave it a 3/5..
...I hate marquees.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

The foster parents "arc" if you will is very interesting. Eugene has often communicated his complete seperation from an familial ties. I assumed that if he had foster parents that they must have left a bad impression on him as a child and he wanted to forget them. Now that we have established that Eugene's foster parents were very nice to him and, in Eugene's words, even provided a father figure for him then why would Eugene feel so isolated throughout his life in Odyssey.

Constantly he is portrayed as never having family to go to or lean on. The closest person he has felt like family to has been Bernard. Can we honestly believe that he had stronger feelings for the cold harted Bernard than he did for his foster parents? It would make more sense that Eugene would have visited everynow and then since he felt so alone in the early days of Odyssey.

Maybe I'm looking to much into this :-k Anyway, just my thoughts :D

btw, I really liked Eugene's assesment of the three father figures. While I might not agree that the recent episodes being produced are the best Odyssey has ever seen, I am believing more and more that the current Odyssey team is implementing morals better than any team has done before. I really feel like I'm getting something out of shows like this one, the two Christmas eps, even Small Town Thug had great moral...

Way to go team!!
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

You can find my Review Here :)

In advance, I apologize for a wrong fact I entered in one of the paragraphs. Thankfully, Shadowpaw lets us know what's what.

However, check it out! :)
Marigold Gamgee

Post by Marigold Gamgee »

I rather liked it, though I would have to listen to it again before I rated it.

After hearing about Eugene's foster parents last week, I was hoping we'd get to hear more about them.
Very Happy

It's up at oneplace.com now, by the way.
Last edited by Marigold Gamgee on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

Didn't Eugene go to college when he was about 10? Maybe he felt like his foster parents never really understood him well. Those would have been his formative years. We all know what his foster dad said about Katrina. I can see why he may not have felt close to them.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I liked it a whole lot. I didn't really dislike anything, come to think of it.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I really loved this episode. 5/5
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

- So he is alive! Eugene’s father sounds sinister. Denying any children…perhaps he lost his memory, also? Or maybe he’ll turn out to be the new bad guy!
- Eugene’s anger from believing his father doesn’t want to see him seemed somewhat irrational.
- The former foster parents…bizarre.
- “We had to eat barley and watch our grammar for 10 years!” OUCH! That was a very hurtful statement.
- Good heartfelt scene with Eugene recognizing Whit as a father figure
- I deem “Dead Ends” average (3/5), though intriguing and storyline-advancing.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

STRYPER wrote: While I might not agree that the recent episodes being produced are the best Odyssey has ever seen, I am believing more and more that the current Odyssey team is implementing morals better than any team has done before.

Way to go team!!
I agree the morals portrated in recent episodes have been excellent. :thumbsup:
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I really liked this episode! It was totally awesome to hear from Eugene's foster parents, and to learn so much from his past! It's so much fun!!

I think that Leonard Meltsner has amnesia as a result of Novacom. They also had a tower in Africa, and they brainwashed people there, too. ;) Although, I wonder where he is now... A phsyciatric clinic, maybe? :anxious:

Eugene's little speach about his father figures was very touching! :sniff: That was so great!

I positively loved this quote: Excuse me, I have to... be somewhere else. I will so use that in the future! :D

4.5/5 stars
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Itaque wrote:- So he is alive! Eugene’s father sounds sinister. Denying any children…perhaps he lost his memory, also? Or maybe he’ll turn out to be the new bad guy!
:shock: Maybe he's the chairman! :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

I have a nomination for a new category for the End of Season Awards: Spookiest/Creepiest Scene. ;-)

Man...why did they have to make Leonard Meltsner be so creepy? It kind of ruined the introduction of him. :( He sounded like Bennett Charles or the Chairman or someone... He really sounded like a villain...

Jeremy

EDIT: I see J-man beat me to it about the Chairman!
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

J-man wrote:
Itaque wrote:- So he is alive! Eugene’s father sounds sinister. Denying any children…perhaps he lost his memory, also? Or maybe he’ll turn out to be the new bad guy!
Hmm, I think that was suggested sometime not too long ago. \:D/ It sounds like something Jared Dwight would say. Oh yeah, and I would give 'Dead Ends' a 4.5/5.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

J-man wrote:
That thought briefly crossed my mind as well. :anxious: I think he sounds a bit like him as well, but since he seems to have a good alibi for the time that Andromeda was wreaking havoc, I'll try not to condemn him yet. ;)

I enjoyed this episode! \:D/ It was nice to see hints of what Eugene was like a child, beyond what we've already heard. While the foster parents relationship thing does seem like something that should have come up sooner, Eugene can be a fairly private person, so that might have been a part of his life that wasn't bad, but it wasn't something that he felt a need to discuss. It seems to not have been until many years later that he more fully realized the value of that time in his life.

I loved the way that the Burnett's (sp?) hid their car, and she made his favourite meal from when he was ten and had the temperature set to what he used to prefer. Eugene may not have been with his own family, but he clearly had people who cared about him, and who remember him! I thought that was sweet.

The end part was kind of odd, because it raises so many questions - where is Eugene's dad? Does he really not think that he has children? What is he doing, or not doing, and why? I'd like to think that there has to be some reason as to why he isn't looking for Eugene, or hasn't already found Eugene, which means that some kind of memory loss is a strong possibility. I guess we'll have to wait to find out more. But being patient is hard! ;)
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

What if someone lied and told Leonard Eugene had died ? or he is hiding his real identity (he never said his name,)

5 stars. Very enjoyable. I loved parts with Whit and Eugene. I love Eugene did missions work too. Great job.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

After all my time looking forward to this show, I was disappointed. :(

Oh to be sure, there was much that I liked! It just didn't live up to my expectations.

Pros: The chemistry between Whit and Eugene. That was very touching and I'm so glad they included that.
The tidbit with Leonard at the end. It was very mysterious, rather ominous sounding in both voice and music. It makes us ask a lot of questions. While I was surprised that they almost seemed to randomly include it, I think it gives us a taste of what we're looking forward too! So the show wasn't entirely a "dead end."
Learning more about Eugene's childhood and getting to know the people who raised him.
Whit reassuring us that he still doesn't believe in coincidences. :)
Eugene's love for his dad. Even though he was young when he left Eugene is still attached to him and it's good to see. He recognizes that God took care of him in between but he's still eager to see his dad again.

Cons: Katrina. I've said it many times and I'll say it again--I don't disrespect the actress or her ability. She just doesn't fit well! ](*,) I wouldn't mind so much if that's just the way she was but that's not the Katrina I knew for so many years. Her whole attitude and way of addressing Eugene is so different. Oh yeah, and I've also pointed out that she sounds like a perpetual grouch. She seems so emotional and out of sorts when talking to Eugene.
Lack of the Burnetts in the past. Had they ever been mentioned before "The Champ of the Camp"? I know that Eugene is eccentric, but if they raised him from 7-18 wouldn't he consider them his "family," especially since they seemed like nice people? In the past, we were led to visualize him with no family at all, just a government pushing him through high school and college at a young age. He claimed in "The Visitors" to have nowhere to go for Christmas yet here's his foster family that he left only a couple years before within driving distance. I know he didn't drive back then and maybe he was broke but I'm sure they would have found some way to have him there. He also had left his stuff there, apparently planning to get it someday when he had space for it. Is it even common for a foster family to have a child for 10 years? :-k My experiences with this kind of thing are that children move around more often or they're adopted. Oh well, we can't go back and rewrite old shows. I was happy with the Burnetts and their quirks so I guess I can't complain too much.
Eugene's methods. He's been back in Odyssey for several months now, I think and he's been level-headed since he regained his memory. Why is he doing something so irrational as calling a guy with a similar surname and expecting him to know about his dad? ](*,)
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Chandler wrote:He claimed in "The Visitors" to have nowhere to go for Christmas yet here's his foster family that he left only a couple years before within driving distance.
Details, details...maybe they were busy or out of town that Christmas...