600: "The Nudge"

Rate it here!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate it!

Five stars *****
32%
Four stars ****
35%
Three stars ***
23%
Two stars **
3%
One star *
6%

Total votes: 31

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

3/5 stars. It was ok. Just an ordinary episode. :)
...I hate marquees.
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

Overall I liked it.

I really don't like Grady. But I think Trent was good in this episode. He reminded me of a true friend because he wasn't afraid to tell Marvin he was being selfish.

Do ya'll think Trent sounded different? I thought he sounded kinda, um, un-Trent-like.

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Smaug the dragon wrote:I liked this episode but I only gave it three stars because of a few problems I had with the characters:

Marvin:

He was so annoying! Hitting someone on the head with drumsticks? Ouch.
He was vey selfish! How many people would say 'I don't want to give away MY really cool bike so I think I'll just persuade my friend to give away HIS! I mean come on, that isn't really fair.
He was supposed to be annoying and selfish. Some people are like that you know. And that was the point. Did you not listen to the end?
Smaug the dragon wrote:Grady:

Anger problems! Yes, throw a pair of very hard wooden sticks out of a moving vehical, very clever! Also I didn't hear him saying thanks to Marvin at the end. 'Hey Marvin. I know you just gave away to me a very expensive bike that you were really excited about getting. I didn't cry when I found out it was you. Wheeeeee! This bike is awesome! *rub it in, rub rub*
EDIT: Excuse me he actually does slide in a 'thanks' at the end.

Trent:

Yes even Trent had some attitude problems. He was so unencouraging to Marvin at the beginnig. Also it sounds like he's not Marvins friend anymore (where he says ' You and your bike can have a happy life together') because of a bike?
I think their trying to portray the kids as realistic. I mean, the stuff you mentioned is nothing compared to what I've seen in real life. And from so-called Christian's too. Keep in mind this episode portrayed selfishness, but it promoted self-lessness.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Elrohir wrote:
Smaug the dragon wrote:I liked this episode but I only gave it three stars because of a few problems I had with the characters:

Marvin:

He was so annoying! Hitting someone on the head with drumsticks? Ouch.
He was vey selfish! How many people would say 'I don't want to give away MY really cool bike so I think I'll just persuade my friend to give away HIS! I mean come on, that isn't really fair.
He was supposed to be annoying and selfish. Some people are like that you know. And that was the point. Did you not listen to the end?
Smaug the dragon wrote:Grady:

Anger problems! Yes, throw a pair of very hard wooden sticks out of a moving vehical, very clever! Also I didn't hear him saying thanks to Marvin at the end. 'Hey Marvin. I know you just gave away to me a very expensive bike that you were really excited about getting. I didn't cry when I found out it was you. Wheeeeee! This bike is awesome! *rub it in, rub rub*
EDIT: Excuse me he actually does slide in a 'thanks' at the end.

Trent:

Yes even Trent had some attitude problems. He was so unencouraging to Marvin at the beginnig. Also it sounds like he's not Marvins friend anymore (where he says ' You and your bike can have a happy life together') because of a bike?
I think their trying to portray the kids as realistic. I mean, the stuff you mentioned is nothing compared to what I've seen in real life. And from so-called Christian's too. Keep in mind this episode portrayed selfishness, but it promoted self-lessness.
I feel so stupid now! :sniff:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

:console: It really is more realistic if you think about it, but it's also rather annoying IMO.. :- I do like that they're trying though. I guess I sorta like it and sorta don't.
...I hate marquees.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

J-man wrote::console: It really is more realistic if you think about it, but it's also rather annoying IMO.. :- I do like that they're trying though. I guess I sorta like it and sorta don't.
It's also annoying, IMHO, when they act fake and are all giddy and happy and perfect.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Okay...I feel stupid asking this cause I know that I know, I just can't remember. What is IMO? Or IMHO, as Elrohir said? I should know this... #-o

Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

macnut24 wrote:Okay...I feel stupid asking this cause I know that I know, I just can't remember. What is IMO? Or IMHO, as Elrohir said? I should know this... #-o
In my (humble) opinion :)
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

macnut24 wrote:Okay...I feel stupid asking this cause I know that I know, I just can't remember. What is IMO? Or IMHO, as Elrohir said? I should know this... #-o
I believe the stand for 'In My Opinion' and 'In My Humble Opinion'. But I could be wrong. :? I've never know n that much about Internet lingo.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Ohhhhh, right! Thank you muchly Aelwyn and Daisy!

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Aelwyn wrote:
I believe the stand for 'In My Opinion' and 'In My Humble Opinion'. But I could be wrong. :? I've never know n that much about Internet lingo.
Yep, that's right.
...I hate marquees.
Zelda Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Zelda Jacobs »

I finally cast my vote. I didn't really like the ep that much. :anxious: I rated it 1 star.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I loved this episode! Of all three slice-of-life episodes we've had this season, The Nudge takes the cake. It was refreshing to hear an episode that's main point wasn't making people laugh, but helping them learn.

I thought the reactions of the kids (especially Marvin and Grady) were realistic, Samantha wasn't too bad, and Whit's advice was another big plus! :D The only thing that seemed out of place was Grady's buying a lottery ticket...his bad attitude at the beginning threw me off at first, but once I started seeing things from his perspective I softened a little (you see, he's not one of my favorite characters :noway: )

Just a side note...when I heard the opening scene, about Marvin trying to win the bike, I immediately thought of Break a Leg.

EDIT: 4 stars \:D/
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Elrohir wrote:
J-man wrote::console: It really is more realistic if you think about it, but it's also rather annoying IMO.. :- I do like that they're trying though. I guess I sorta like it and sorta don't.
It's also annoying, IMHO, when they act fake and are all giddy and happy and perfect.
I don;t really mind that! :-
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

This episode wasn't that bad, actually. Seems like Trent's been staying up way too late, but he, like the other characters, was realistic, so I wasn't too miffed.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jesusfreak
OK

Post by jesusfreak »

I was on whitsend.org and was listening to Wednesday's show, The Nudge, and when I read the description, I wasn't too excited. I've really been looking forward to hear more about the Mandy arc that is running through these episodes. I didn't want to hear an episode about Marvin and Grady, two characters that I've never been particularly fond of. I was pleasantly surprised. I was completely struck. I don't really know why. I absolutely adored the plot of God speaking to us. That always excites me... especially now because I feel that my busy life is shutting me out of my close relationship with my Lord... So that's the first reason I like this episode. The second reason I like this episode is because a "CLASSIC" sit-down-with-mr.-whittaker-advice-giving-session. SOOO refreshing. the third reason is something that is just something that just makes the long time Odyssey fan smile. The mention of the pizza making copy machine.

So those are just some of my scatter brained thoughts, in the moments after listening to this episode. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts as well. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. There are more things that I truly love about the episodes that I don't really have time to write out right now.

God Bless!
~Jesusfreak
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

That's great. I love to hear Mr. Whittaker too. But sometimes it makes me sad because I would want him to be real... :( That goes for Jack Allen too. I also LOVE the classic episodes!! ;)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I love the classic episodes too! Every time I listen to shows like The Prodigal Jimmy or even newer ones like The Nudge, I think, "Now THIS is why I love AIO." I mean, seriously, how many kid's shows today show a 10 year old kid talking with (in a constructive way) an 80 year old man?
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother