599: "Blood, Sweat, and Fears"

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars to you give it?

5:I loved it!!
34%
4:That was really cool.
41%
3:I wouldn't say I loved it,but I didn't hate it.
20%
2:Okay,it was not so good.
5%
1:Bad episode. That is all.
No votes

Total votes: 41

STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Whit:
I agree with everyone that it was great to hear some WhitWisdom back into play. A heartfelt reason why he didn't give blood and a he stuck it up and lead by example... that's the Whit we all know and love.

However... I really hated his muttering and making excuses at the very beginning when he confessed that he didn't regularly give blood. Hal would never have played it like that. He would have had his head up and confidently and softly proclaimed that he didn't give blood for a specific reason. One more reason why Paul never quite gives me enough reason to like his portrayal of Whit :noway:

Trent:
I really think the acting by Corey was a little overdone and didn't come from actual stagefright experience. It sounded fake.

Wooton and Eugene:
I never thought I'd hear an episode with both Wooton and Eugene and actually like Wooton better. He was great in this episode. At first I figured Wooton's character would eventually be the replacement for Eugene since we really didn't have any hope of Will coming back for so long. Once Will came back I've been very curious to see how they'll play both Wooton and Eugene in the same episode. They struck gold. Outstanding Wooton writing :D

I give it 4 stars but if Trent wasn't in the episode I might give it 5...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Ok, I liked it but it was a bit corny. I like drama but it was good and it was nice to hear from Wooten!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I gave it 4 stars - I liked it, there were great funny parts, but I didn't like Whit's mumbling and hemming and hawing over the giving blood. It seemed so un-Whit like.

It was quite applicable to me on Saturday, because I had to make a phone call that afternoon, and I'm petrified of talking on the phone. :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

4 stars
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I agree with Donkey Kong, Trent wasn't very good in this episode. (Of course... I've never heard an episode with Trent in it. :anxious: )
I give it four out of five stars, or points, or whatevers. It would be five out of five if not for Trent.

Other than the poor acting, I think the dual story lines just muddled the overal theme of the show. Who was the lady he interviewed? It just threw several extra characters into the show where they weren't really needed, I think they could have added more to the story of the actual blood drive and left the radio theatre out of it, perhaps doing a whole episode to showcase Trent's fear.

The problem was not it taking from the blood drive per sey, but not adequately portreying the fear of the microphone. I think that fear needed it's own show to be shown clearly.

Classic moment, "An unconcious person answered that? Why am I the only one who doesn't know these things?"
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Lord_Kappa wrote:I agree with Donkey Kong, Trent wasn't very good in this episode. (Of course... I've never heard an episode with Trent in it. :anxious: )
I give it four out of five stars, or points, or whatevers. It would be five out of five if not for Trent.

Other than the poor acting, I think the dual story lines just muddled the overal theme of the show. Who was the lady he interviewed? It just threw several extra characters into the show where they weren't really needed, I think they could have added more to the story of the actual blood drive and left the radio theatre out of it, perhaps doing a whole episode to showcase Trent's fear.

The problem was not it taking from the blood drive per sey, but not adequately portreying the fear of the microphone. I think that fear needed it's own show to be shown clearly.
The problem with that idea is that there already is an episode devoted entirely to Trent's fear of public speaking...
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Allow me to preface the following remark by stating that I still have not yet listened to this episode. :anxious:
Lord_Kappa wrote:I give it four out of five stars, or points, or whatevers. It would be five out of five if not for Trent.
Donkey Kong wrote:I give it 4 stars but if Trent wasn't in the episode I might give it 5...
I feel so unloved. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Why doesn't anyone like Trent? I realize the plot was off because he was suppose to have gotten rid of his public speaking, but I didn't really mind the acting at all, but that's just my opinion :anxious:
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

agent3xq wrote:Why doesn't anyone like Trent? I realize the plot was off because he was suppose to have gotten rid of his public speaking, but I didn't really mind the acting at all, but that's just my opinion :anxious:
I like Trent! :anxious:
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

agent3xq wrote:Why doesn't anyone like Trent? I realize the plot was off because he was suppose to have gotten rid of his public speaking, but I didn't really mind the acting at all, but that's just my opinion :anxious:
I didn't say I don't like Trent and therefore any episode with him means it will go down a star.

I simply feel that in this episode, Trent did not help carry the story but actually hurt it. And Corey did NOT have one of his finer acting sessions that day ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

I was just glad to hear from Trent for the first time this season.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

We love you trent! O:)
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Hmm, I don't think public speaking is a fear that one gets over or gets rid of in an instant or even a day; I think it's a process. He may have conquered one speech, but that doesn't mean he won't get scared of public speaking in the future. That's why I thought the plot was fine. Also, I didn't mind Trent's acting. Nothing negative stood out, at least.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Daisy wrote:
Hmm, I don't think public speaking is a fear that one gets over or gets rid of in an instant or even a day; I think it's a process.
Speaking from experience, this is insanely true.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Completely identify with you there, Jonathan (and Laura Ingalls! I'm terrified of speaking on the phone! :mad: ) ... fear of public speaking would not go away after just one episode. And it's more or less a more specific fear than public speaking; it's radio-speaking. Which might be a little less understandable than fear of public speaking (with people around, etc).
... my completely uncomphrendable $0.02.

4/5. Whit's fears seemed a bit... unrealistic. He'd more or less just admit he had a fear instead of hemming and hawing...

The Eugene-blood-donating scenes were awesome, though. Truly classic. The Wooton/Connie lines were very natural, as were the Trent-is-afraid-of-speaking-on-the-radio scenes.

'Way to meander, Eugene!'
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here's my review
acbulldog57
Just visiting

Post by acbulldog57 »

One of my favorites ever. A strong 5/5 It was a great mixing of personalities and really brought the point around well.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I liked the episode--it was hilarious! 5/5 and awesomeness supreme.

And I don't understand the issue with Trent. I thought Corey's acting was pretty good, considering that this is an experienced actor trying to convey a morbid fear of the microphone.

And it didn't throw off the plot--Trent even mentions himself in "Tales of a Small Town Thug" that he's still not over it, even though he is better than he used to be. In this particular episode, he was also not just speaking to a classroom of twenty people--he was speaking to an entire town of about 36,000 people.

And I liked that Trent mentioned that people only say something's good for them if it includes broccoli--Nathaniel said the same thing in The Y.A.K. Problem!
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog