598: "My Favorite Thing"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

how many stars

5 stars in our eyes
20%
4 star trek
37%
3 stargate
17%
2 star wars
13%
1 a cloudy night
13%

Total votes: 46

Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I liked it. It was a good Washington family episode, somewhat like Sunday Morning Scramble. 4 stars.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Darth Birdie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
Adrian wrote:I must ask. Why is star wars only 2? :x
*coughcoughitshouldbeonecough*
*coughcoughcoughitshouldbefivecough*
*coughcoughiagreewithelrohircough*
suzanne291
I've been here a bit

Post by suzanne291 »

I don't know... for some reason this episode really just didn't do it for me. I thought it was kind of stupid.

And you're right, you could totally tell Doris' voice was different.
I am the only one to blame for this
Somehow it all ends up the same
Soaring on the wings of selfish pride, I flew too high
and like Icarus I collide
with the world I tried so hard to leave behind
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm writing this only b/c there's been a lot of mention of Doris in the last few posts, but,

Why is it such a big deal if her voice was just a teensy bit different? :anxious: I noticed, but the actress got her personality spot down, and Bart's actor (whose name is escapeing me at the moment) had no problem having chemistry with her.

Personally, I don't think a different voice is the issue. Take Katrina; I hated it when she got a new actress, not b/c the voice was just a touch different, but b/c the personality was. Especially in that first ep where she was back. The chemistry was off with every single character she interacted with. But she's gotten better over time, and b/c of that, it's no longer an issue with me.

AIO has been going on for the last two decades; it's inevitable that some characters will have to have more then one actor. And I just don't think it should be that big of an issue. I'm just thankful they can keep getting such amazingly talented actors who can imitate not only voice, but personality as well.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Jonathan wrote:
Darth Birdie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
*coughcoughforonceidisagreewithjonathancoughcough*
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I can't believe people enjoyed this episode. Am I the only one that noticed the bad script, horrible idea, horrible acting, a sloppy theme that was unrecognizable until Mrs. Washington had to point it out?

I wasn't even aware the writer was a new one for this show--but it makes sense. It was such a badly written show. I mean, wow, it was so bad. And it had nothing to do with Doris' new voice. I liked the voice better than the 2 minutes of badly done diologue given to let the audience to let us know that she was Doris Rathbone.

I mean, 1 tenth of the episode was Ed trying to make it a good dinner...and then that was the moral of the show. What about the thousands of other things happening in the show? The message of the theme seemed to be the conclusion of the show, and yet, it was not captured at all.

Totally rediculous and shameful that this is part of this season. The last two shows were excellent, which is why I had no comments to make.

I mean geez, give the Washingtons a realistic storyline. George Barclay losing his job. Yes, we could related to that. The Mulligans adopting new members into their home. Yes, we could relate to that. The Shepards moving to a new place and having to find adjustments. Yes, we could relate to that. The Jacobs deeling with the faiths of their daughters. Yes, we could relate to that.

I don't seem to remember so many "purely-comic" episodes airing inside a season. What happened with the drama already?

I was not impressed with this new writer. Worse show since Fairy-Tal-E-Vision...

Bennett
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ouch.

I sincerely hope Mary Fritson doesn't frequent these boards. :anxious:

It's unfortunate to see fans rate an episode poorly due to the new voice for Doris. Did you really expect it to be anything different? I really would appreciate it if people would just get over it. (Xiao, where's that song? ;)) Pamela Hayden is not returning at any point in the immediate future, so just accept that fact and move on.

While I wouldn't give it the same bad review, I'd have to agree with Bennett's overall assessment of the episode. Admittedly, part of the enjoyment was due to the humor, but the storyline left much to be desired. :( Yes, many families can relate to going out to dinner experiences, but this show contained several occurrences that went beyond normal-- much less anything to which people could relate.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Hmm...I didn't think it was that bad. Oh, sure, it had some very over-the-top and unrealistic moments, but I still prefered it to, say...the hot dog car in "Bringing Up Dads" or the cheesy elements in many of the other Washington episodes. Although, maybe that's just because I originally had very low expectations of this episode. :-k It ended up not being as bad as I was expecting, so I was able to enjoy it. Sure, it will never be a classic, but I personally wasn't expecting it to be, and it's still a fun "filler" ep.

But I do agree that this episode shouldn't be rated good or bad because of the "new" Doris. :)

Evil Chick wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Darth Birdie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
Cough drops for sale! \:D/
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Applesauce wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Darth Birdie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
Cough drops for sale! \:D/
*laughs, and then coughs*

I'd take you up on it, but I'm beyond broke...
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

When I found out Doris was a new actress when I listened to it, I went into it kind of scared. After a very bad Katrina switch over I was kind of nervous how AIO would handle another one! SHE DID A GREAT JOB!!! She wasn't the real Doris, of course, but she still had the attitude and part of the same voice (a couple of her words sounded identical while others seemed to lack enough "uwah" sound (if anyone gets my meaning...I know that sounds stupid...)) Especially when she was crying I heard more of a difference. But it will be easier to get used to than Katrina. It made me like her even more that they brought up the whole "you never did respect me" issue from what was it, Family Values, I think? Anway, and a great big two thumbs up to Mary Fritson! For a new writer she did a good job of actually writing AIO like we're used to! So, all in all, I'd give it about a 4.5 or so, so I'll give it 5. :D

oh....and the toilet waiter was definitley the best! I gave it a 5 just for him!

as for the "lesson" and "storyline" sure, it was MOSTLY commical and hey, what REAL kid would let a lobster loose but it was still good! just because you didn't "get" the lesson until Elaine "pointed it out" doesn't mean it wasn't good...Sunday Morning Scramble was a bit more realistic though (especially for my family!)

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

pinkjeans92 wrote: but it was still good! just because you didn't "get" the lesson until Elaine "pointed it out" doesn't mean it wasn't good...
If the point of the episode was to figure the lesson out, then maybe I'd agree. But if they present a lesson at the end that completely flew past us...then it wasn't very well written at all...

Bennett
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Bennett wrote:
pinkjeans92 wrote: but it was still good! just because you didn't "get" the lesson until Elaine "pointed it out" doesn't mean it wasn't good...
If the point of the episode was to figure the lesson out, then maybe I'd agree. But if they present a lesson at the end that completely flew past us...then it wasn't very well written at all...

Bennett
eh, whatever you think...I did get quite a few laughs out of it though--which was good for me yesterday

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Ok I'm Going to do A review As I go.....Oh And BTW I totally agree with whoever said Startrek should be five and Star wars should be one *cough*.

EEWW! I hate doris' voice

Ellen?!?! :lol:

A handful of Mint toothpicks?!

" How would you like it if a lobster asked for you on a plate?" :) :D

"Enjoy your meal?!" After All that!? HA!

AAHH Now I see Why He ordered Oysters!

HAHA :lolsign:

OH NO! Did Tamika Let the lobsters loose?

OOHH Question Solved!!!

HAHA!!!!!!

I Am Loving This Eposide!!

Accordian Music? :roll:

Abraham Lincon?!
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

OrigamiKid wrote:I know that often they can’t keep the same actors and actresses and it will take some getting used to but I believe that Doris was played by a different actress. I think I preferred her just not being written into the show. The Doris in this show seemed forced some how…maybe I’m being over critical, I’m sorry, but it was bugging me….

The toilet waiter was great and Elaine did seem natural in her response to being kidnapped and such. I particularly enjoyed Marvin in this episode.

~OrigamiKid
I agree. I liked having Doris back but it did seem to be forced. But I really really enjoyed the toilet waiter and Marvin...the were so great. :rofl2:

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

2/5.

Totally NOT the best AIO has ever made.

It was funny. Real funny. But someone took a really long time to impress us with Bart/Doris/Ed/Elaine/Marvin/Tamika's behavior.

The moral seemed a bit weak (if not a tad bit forced) and an 'afterthought'. I loved the interaction between Marvin/Tamika and the restaurant workers (maitre'd... heh.) and the Bart/Doris exchange was.. priceless, to say the least.

All in all, I enjoyed listening to it, but it seemed just a bit... weak. Shallow.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

1/5
I'm with Ms. Binghampton. The moral was weak and forced.

I however didn't find the exchanges that were supposed to be commical worthy of raising this failure of an episode up one rating. They were funny, but not that funny.

This episode is really the reason I don't listen to Odyssey as much anymore, it got shallow.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
querida
I've been here a bit

Post by querida »

The new Doris bugged me as well. I didn't actually like this ep all that much to be honest. I'd rather hear more about Mandy. I also really want to know more about Grady McKay's dad!
maybe its not the destination, maybe it's the journey

<3 Dasey <3
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Lord_Kappa wrote:

This episode is really the reason I don't listen to Odyssey as much anymore, it got shallow.
Yes, I do have to agree with the fact that they are more shallow. A number of reasons that could happen #1: they are running out of topics, storylines and morals/lessons #2: we got older so the stupid stuff we laughed at as kids we wouldn't anymore #3: the younger kids listening are getting stupider so they think that they have to play down to them. and, I think we think (or I think) they should apply the lessons to us (the long time, teenage or adult listeners) and what we are going through not the 8-12 year olds...anyway, that's sort of besides the point. there was some pretty dumb stuff in this ep...and the lesson was weak...but, whatever, there HAVE been worse!

Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

pinkjeans92 wrote:
Lord_Kappa wrote:

Yes, I do have to agree with the fact that they are more shallow. A number of reasons that could happen #1: they are running out of topics, storylines and morals/lessons #2: we got older so the stupid stuff we laughed at as kids we wouldn't anymore #3: the younger kids listening are getting stupider so they think that they have to play down to them. and, I think we think (or I think) they should apply the lessons to us (the long time, teenage or adult listeners) and what we are going through not the 8-12 year olds...anyway, that's sort of besides the point. there was some pretty dumb stuff in this ep...and the lesson was weak...but, whatever, there HAVE been worse!

I kind of agree but I'm pretty confident that Blood, Sweat, and Fears is gonna be a good episode I'm very eager to hear it :D
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

agent3xq wrote:
pinkjeans92 wrote:
Lord_Kappa wrote:

I kind of agree but I'm pretty confident that Blood, Sweat, and Fears is gonna be a good episode I'm very eager to hear it :D
Amen! Sounds like a good one to me too. It could be the beginning of a new saga! :anxious: but..... :-k I doubt it.