New Glasses Syndrome

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
New Glasses Syndrome

Post by Catspaw »

I got new glasses today! \:D/ Apparently I've had my current pair since 2008, or so my optometrist claims. ;) My last couple of visits only had really small changes to my prescription, so I decided to stick with what I had, but this year there was a bit more of a change, plus I have some insurance coverage for eyecare that I need to use sooner rather than later, so I now have new glasses and prescription sunglasses too! I'm excited about the sunglasses in a way that only fellow long-time glasses-wearers can truly understand. :yes:

Since it had been so long, I kind of forgot how much of a pain it is to adjust to a new prescription. I remember there being an adjustment time, but either it's taking longer because I'm so old, or I'm so old that I forgot how long it takes. ;) I made sure to wear my old glasses home while I was driving, since that just seemed safer for everybody. ;)

Now I just need to wait for somebody to notice my new glasses! The day after I ordered my new glasses, a coworker who knew that I was doing that asked me the next day if I was wearing my new glasses. I appreciate her effort to avoid missing commenting on the change, but it would have been better if I wasn't wearing the same pair of glasses that I have worn the entire time that I have know her. ;) That said, I anticipate that a few people will notice at work tomorrow. If not, I will come here and complain about unobservant people while (possibly) pretending to ignore the fact that I am sometimes one of those people. O:)
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. Your eyes get so used to seeing poorly that it's actually rather tiring to really bring things into focus once you've upped the prescription. I often get headaches throughout the first week of new glasses, so I came up with a system that works fairly well:
Wear the new glasses for just one hour the first day, then go back to the old ones until the end of the day. The next day, wear them for two hours, and the next, four hours. Keep doubling until you're wearing them all day. It gives my eyes enough time to adjust, but also enough time to rest, so I don't get the headaches as fervently.

You know, I always tend to get the same sort of style of frames each time I re-order ( squarish, gold or bronze or brown metal/wire frames), so not many people tend to notice a difference. The only time they really notice is if I go from a very dark color, to a lighter one (or vice-versa), but even then, there are still not many who comment.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I know also. I just got new glasses last Thursday and it was such a pain. The problem was that I had lost my old glasses and hadn't worn any for about two weeks. It made it even worse. But I have adjusted and I love my news one so much more than my old ones.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:Wear the new glasses for just one hour the first day, then go back to the old ones until the end of the day. The next day, wear them for two hours, and the next, four hours. Keep doubling until you're wearing them all day.
Is this adjustment method optometrist approved? It makes sense, but at the same time it seems like that would be even more of a strain than just powering through with the new glasses all day because you keep switching back, so it’s better then worse then better then worse again. :-k
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It was recommended to me a couple switches ago when I was having a lot of problems adjusting, to start wearing the new ones the next day when I got up so my eyes were fresh starting off. It makes the transition much easier from what I've seen.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I got my new glasses yesterday, wore them for about 10 minutes then wore my old ones. This morning I put on my new ones and I feel like I've worn email forever. Almost.
I am confused
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Knight Fisher wrote:It was recommended to me a couple switches ago when I was having a lot of problems adjusting, to start wearing the new ones the next day when I got up so my eyes were fresh starting off. It makes the transition much easier from what I've seen.
That makes sense, but it wouldn't really have worked for me, because I have to drive myself to work most days, and I really don't want to be adjusting to a new prescription while doing that. Oh well. Now it should be at least a few years before I need to make a change again.

Most people who should notice my new glasses noticed. My brother said he noticed but just didn't say anything, which I think is silly, but whatever. Maybe it's a guy thing. ;)
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

I remember when I first got glasses everything was so clear and sharp it made my head hurt. I don't recall having any adjustment issues with the 2nd and 3rd pair (3rd being my current pair). However I do have a very weak prescription.

And Catspaw - it's definitely a guy thing. :P
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Brad wrote: And Catspaw - it's definitely a guy thing. :P
Thanks, Brad. Who knew that some guys don't stop to talk about their feelings about glasses? :mad:

I've had something weird happen to me with my prescription sunglasses. It seems like when I first put them on, it's like there are blurry spots, but there don't seem to be any smudges on the actual lenses, and it goes away after a little while. It's really annoying, because I wear them when I'm driving, and I need to be able to see, obviously. ;) Has this ever happened to anybody else? I might go back to the place I bought my glasses to get the arms adjusted a bit, so I'll try to remember to ask about the weird sunglasses thing then, but I'm worried that it just makes me sound crazy. ;)
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Could be cataracts... But, considering they go away after awhile, it's probably not. :mrgreen:
Yeah, it would probably be a good idea to bring it up the next time you go to the optometrist's office.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It happened again today briefly and the thought occurred to me that maybe it's just the lenses fogging up a bit from being cold and then going on my warm(er) face but it looks different than with my regular glasses. I've worn glasses since I was 9 years old or around there somewhere, so I'm not used to sunglasses. I'll still ask whenever I go get my glasses adjusted, though.